Roads, Paths and Trails

Saturday, January 26, 2013

  

Roads, Paths and Trails

I am intrigued with roads that lead into the distant beyond. Always have been.  I grew up on an 
island that had beautiful sandy red roads and trails leading to the ocean.  I could hardly stand to 
drive by a trail or a drive or a path overshadowed with trees and shadows, and not stop and wonder… 
where does it end?  There is an irresistible urge within me to seek and to find… the end of the road.    
Where does it lead? What treasures of beauty await down its beckoning way? 
 


I can’t explain this lifelong fascination I have with roads that lead to an end not in sight.  It’s just one of those
things that is never satisfied.  I find the end of one road, but perhaps that road leads to another… and another… 
 
The only thing I must be sure I have as I travel these roads is a compass.  There are a few trails we’ve 
been down that we’ve not been sure we could find our way back out… 
 
So I wrote a poem about roads, paths and trails that kind of sum up how I feel about Roads,  Paths and Trails. 
 
Below I will share with sharing with you some pictures of those roads I couldn’t resist traveling down… 
just to see what beauty they held for me.  And even upon knowing what lays down a trail…
there is yet a beckoning call for me for every tree lined, dirt path or trail… just to know… 
where it goes, and what pleasures await down this road!  
 
Roads, Paths and Trails
Written by "Me" 

The winsome boughs of the overshadowing trees
The dirt lined path with stubbles of grass
The dip in the horizon just beyond
Their voices are echoes calling me, calling me on.

I cannot resist, no I cannot say no
To the call of the path that leads beyond
I cannot see where the path goes
I cannot tell what treasures it may hold.

The mystery of each one summons me onward
There may be heights unknown and depths remote
Shall it be lacy clouds, shining seashore, or mountains sheer
I cannot know unless I go, following the path beyond.

And so through life, we see the paths, the trails, the road
The bends, the dips, the lofty points as we travel
Not knowing what lies beyond oft horizon
Uncertainty does lie around every corner.

Yet in the hands of the Master I walk each path
He has been here before, this trail familiar
I dare not worry at what the bend may hold
His Hand, my Compass, still leads me as we go.

I look ahead to the horizons beyond
Bravely trusting and pressing on
With great anticipation I clasp His hand
With Him by my side, adventures untold await

Not once has He left me to travel alone
No bends, no curves, no shadows forlorn
I wait for His hand to show me the way
No never alone on this road, my life.

 
 
Snow covered mountain road in October

Road leading to town


Mountain trail

Fall colors mixed with ice and snow

Schweitzer Mountain

State Park trails

Stately pine lined trail


On the side of the mountain

Climbing up the rough side of the mountain

Snowy road with view of mountain beyond



Frozen rime trails

Backwoods trail


The road leading to a new adventure...

Trail leading to a  frozen lake

Sunlight shining on the trail


Snowmobile tracks lead the way

Snow covered roads

Footprints along the trail

Tree lined trail

Dogs -n - trails


Ice covered road

Into the mountains we go!

Boardwalks

Frozen rime along the road

Nature trail through the forest

Which path should we take?

Crossing the creek with logs for a bridge



The mountains beyond

A logging trail with a mountain view

What lies around the bend?

Frozen rime and icy roads







So, in parting I'll leave you with a poem much better written than mine. 

May you be encouraged about the bend in your road today.


The Bend in the Road

Author: Helen Steiner Rice

Sometimes we come to life's crossroads
And we view what we think is the end.
But God has a much wider vision
And he knows that it's only a bend-

The road will go on and get smoother
And after we've stopped for a rest,
The path that lies hidden beyond us
Is often the path that is best.

So rest and relax and grow stronger,
Let go and let God share your load
And have faith in a brighter tomorrow-
You've just come to a bend in the road.

Post a Comment

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini