Summer Teas in the Garden

Thursday, August 24, 2017

My little space in the garden has become an oasis, a special place to relax, and just enjoy the beauty of the flowers, vegetables,the fruit and the bees, the hummers and squirrels that also call it home.  I am thankful for the sweet presence of the Lord that is with me there, as I work quietly amidst all the plants and living things, and it brings my heart great joy each time I enter this haven I've been blessed to have.

One day this past July, a new friend and I were chatting, as we wanted to meet and get to know each other better over coffee.  After trying to decide where to meet, I thought... why not invite her to my garden? Now, any gardener knows and sees all the imperfections and things that need to get done, and I thought... my garden isn't quite ready yet for visitors, and then I thought... if I wait for perfection, it will never happen, life is just not ever going to be perfect!

So!  I invited my new friend over for tea in the garden.  This was a perfect place for us to meet and get to know each other better.


She made homemade Lemon Curd to go with the blueberry scones I made, along with some fresh blueberries that I had picked earlier. The Lemon Curd was scrumptious! It went perfectly with the blueberry scones.


It was quite hot out, and we sipped on iced lemon water while we chatted. In fact, we had so much fun talking, that I didn't get many pictures!


Then we filled our plates with the goodies, and sipped hot tea. What great fun we had drinking hot tea out of the teapots on a hot summer afternoon... ha! We also drank lots of iced lemon water in mason jars... :)


It was a lovely, wonderful tea, so relaxing to sit outside in my little garden area and enjoy our time of fellowship together.  She is a local pastor's wife, and their daughter is dating our son... so we had lots to chat about... {smiles}

It was fun to have tea in the garden with her... I am still planning to have a tea with my dear friend and neighbor A, but this summer has been extremely busy for her, so we are planning a fall tea, which will be lovely too!

And then... to my great delight and joy... days after my garden tea, another friend of mine invited me to a Garden Tea & Painting Party that her mother was hosting.


My friend's mother has a lovely home, and a gorgeous garden. She and her friends, and all the guests invited brought a little something to share... and oh my, it was a feast!


 Lovely delightful snacks...


 Fresh fruit... mini strawberry shortcakes, scones...


 A room with a view... her dining room has a huge window overlooking her garden.... you can see the little canopies set up with tables underneath ... I believe there were about 25 gals that attended, and there was room for all to sit comfortably.


Each table was beautifully decorated with little pieces of art that we could use as a starting point for our painting.  The idea was to sip tea, paint, and fellowship with each other... it was an incredible evening of fun!


A peek from the garden to the back of the house.


 Another table setting..



Love the purples, blue and yellow theme! I would not have thought to put those colors together, but they work really well!





Behind the tables, her garden extended to the back wall of their yard... filled with gorgeous flowers, and assorted vegetables.


 Love the blues at this table setting...


 Our table setting... I chose a dainty rose tea cup to sip my tea from...  the blank canvas in front of me was rather intimidating!  The lady who was to come and show us how to paint was not able to come at the last minute, so we were ... on our own!


I chose to use this flower as a starting point for my painting...
 


 One of the ladies at our table chose to paint the tree beyond the fence... it turned out lovely...


 Another lady chose to paint the teacup she had chose... isn't this a lovely piece of work!


There was a group of young children who participated as well, and they had as much fun, or more than all of us ladies!  Lots of talent at this table too!



I soon realized that my talents did not include being an artist... I felt like my painting looked like it belonged in a kindergarten class, so I chose to leave off where it was, and wander the dear lady's garden instead... oh how I loved the tin building as the backdrop with all the flowers! I'd much rather take pictures of the flowers than try to paint them, lol!


Love these gorgeous cosmos!... It was a delightful evening, and so wonderful to visit with other sweet Christian ladies, enjoying the fellowship, tea, goodies and having fun creating together.  There is talk amongst all of us ladies that we must do it again!  I do hope so, it was a lovely way to enjoy a hot summer evening, painting, drinking ice tea in gorgeous tea cups, with the background of the lovely garden, and taking a painting home to remind us of the fun of the evening... 

Here is a picture of all the lovely ladies with their paintings... what a special night it was :) 




~~~~~~

In other news.... the smoke in our area has been pretty horrible for most of August.  The picture below was taken in the middle of the day.  We currently have no severe fires in our area, but the smoke is drifting our way from the terrible fires in British Columbia, and Montana, as well as a couple of fires in Washington and Idaho that are north of us.  
  

It has been rather eerie to have the constant smell of smoke in the air, with the horizon barely visible, and the sun but a small orange globe in the hazy skies.


Both of these pictures were taken in the middle of the day, and you can see just how hazy, dark, and smoky it has been here.  The amazing and wonderful thing that we give the Lord praise for is that we have had no major fires here in our local area, but we are experiencing the heavy smoke from fires around us.  We did get a break from the smoke when a small rainstorm came through bringing a bit of rain, and clearing out the smoke haze for a few days.  However, it comes and goes, as the wind direction changes.


While I have enjoyed this summer immensely, when I saw my maple leaves turning red the first week in August, I knew the days of summer are now numbered!  The nights are much cooler, in fact, there was a frost in our area on the 15th of August, but thankfully we escaped it here where we live.  My garden is continuing to produce significant amounts of vegetables, and my strawberries are back at work, producing a fall crop!  So much to do in these busy, hazy, waning days of summer... I am spending as much time as I can outside in my garden, and in my yard, soaking up all the vitamin D I possibly can.  Fall is on its way as my red maple leaves tell me, and my children have started back to college... how fast the days pass, and yet, I know I've enjoyed each one of them to the fullest.  We have had many fun adventures this summer, and hopefully soon I'll get around to posting about them all.

~~~~~~

My dad just called to tell me that the hurricane out in the Gulf of Mexico, which is bearing his name, Harvey... is projected to hit their area this weekend.  One of my sisters lives in the direct path of the hurricane as it will come ashore, and the rest of our family will no doubt be affected by the path of the hurricane as it comes inland, so we are keeping everyone in our prayers as this massive storm makes its way to land, praying for safety for all who are in its path.


























44 comments

  1. I have had several tea parties with our granddaughters, ages four and six. We use my mothers beautiful China cups and milk replaces tea. The girls love it.

    Keeping good thoughts for all in Harvey's path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good thoughts, my sister is doing well, hoping to get through round 2 of Harvey though! A tea party with your granddaughters sounds very special and I like the idea of using milk and using real china, that is very sweet of you to do that :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Marilyn!
    What a lovely post. Your garden tea looks really scrumptious, and the setting gorgeous. And I love, love the idea of a painting tea party. I really don't have any talent for painting, but it's fun to try...sometimes. Love the red cosmos. I'll be praying for your family in the wake of Harvey.
    Have a lovely rest of the week!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting tea party was so much fun, and I hope to be able to have another garden tea party soon. Thanks for your prayers for my family, they have all been safe so far, just hoping to get through round 2 of Harvey without any problems. Thank you for your visit :)

      Delete
  3. What inspiration. I love a tea party. What a thoughtful and delightful idea on a garden tea. I also enjoyed the pictures of the painting party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your garden is just beautiful!!! What a lovely place to host your new friend and enjoy the serene setting to get to know one another!!! The food looked so yummy, and you just had everything arranged just perfectly. I could feel the warmth and love that went into every, single detail. You have a heart of pure gold and so much kindness emanates through the hospitality you show to others, sweet friend. I am so sorry you are having so much smoke to deal with and surely trust your dear family is not harmed by the storm heading their way. I am praying and trusting God to keep all of your loved ones safe. The painting party was such a wonderful idea, and your friend's house and garden was a perfect setting to host such a sweet gathering. I am sure your painting was every bit as pretty as the others! So thankful to read this wonderful post and will continue to pray for your family's safety. God bless and be with you all. Sending much love and many hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so sweet and kind my precious friend! What a blessing you are to me, and how thankful I am for your friendship, I sure wish we could have a tea party together! I thank you so much for praying for my family, so far all is well with all of them, but we are hoping to get through round 2 of Harvey without any issues. Such a crazy storm it has been! Appreciate your friendship, and continuing to pray for you and your family!!! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. So glad you went ahead and had your tea party in your garden, even though you weren't "quite ready"... are we ever totally ready? I'm never ready! Always one more thing I want to do! Your garden tea looked wonderful and the tea at the other house I bet was really fun and a very good gathering of Christian ladies. I've been to one or teas and would never tire of them if someone had one or two a month. There is just "something" about a tea party! We are smoky here too, in Madras, Oregon.. and it's very discouraging. I keep praying for all the firefighters who are risking their lives out there in that heat and smoke and wind and dryness....they are truly to be admired. My little vine maple tree has orange leaves on the top already, that started in late July! That told me we'll have an early winter here..... hugs to you friend... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, there is just "something" about a tea party Marilyn! So much to pray about, so many natural disasters this year. Thankful for our hope in the Lord! Hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Tea parties in pretty gardens, sitting amongst the pretty flowers, enjoying sweet friendship whilst sipping from pretty teacups; sounds like heaven. How lovely to sit with your new friend in your sweet garden. If Summer is coming to an end in your little corner of the world, that means Winter is drawing to a close way down here. YAY!! Oh, I forgot, how fun to paint at a tea party; such a clever idea.I hope that your family will be safe from the claws of the hurricane, lovely Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful time Kim, so much fun! I would LOVE to spend time in your garden, sipping tea with you! Each visit to your sweet place in blogland is so blessed! Your talented hands are always up to something amazing! With love and hugs, I appreciate your visit, always!

      Delete
  7. Having such beautiful gardenand tea with family and friends is great Blessing my friend!!!
    you have filled this table so rich and this is absolute lunch time so don't mind if i eat away most of your "INVITING"items.
    Hope hurricane passes softly and you listen good news from your precious sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to sit and have tea with you, my dear friend! Come along any time :) I too hope this hurricane season passes without any more hurricanes. Hugs to you dear friend!

      Delete
  8. {{{grinning}}} oh what a lovely tea party, smiles. Keeping your family in prayer with this hurricane bearing down...

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda... so many hurting and distressed people right now, lots of prayers for them all! I'm praying for your health struggles too! Hugs and blessings to you :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely place to have a tea party, I have always admire you little garden area. Thank you for inviting us to enjoy both tea parties. I need to do this with my girls, They would love it. I may do that today. Prayers for your family and others in the paths of this hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea parties are so fun Teresa, your girls would love them :) So much to pray for, so many people affected by the hurricanes! Appreciate your visit, always!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love your tea party . Everything is do beautiful and looks so yummy . Nothing g like a good old tea party . Praying for your family as well as others that are in the oath of the hurricane . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea parties are so much fun, I am going to have another one soon.. stay posted :) And yes, SO much to pray for, so many hurting hearts and families from these terrible hurricanes and fires!

      Delete
  11. Sweet garden spaces. What a wonderful event tea party combined with painting...delightful. I'm hungry now! Those hurricanes are so scary. Hope all goes well for your family. Praying right now. We have family in the Dallas area. Sorry about that smoke. Our granddaughters doctor advises our kids to now let her be outside for longer than an hour because of the smoke. I do hope the fire are contained soon and clear skies return. Hope your weekend is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke thankfully cleared here on Sunday, hoping it stays away, but I just can't imagine living where there are wildfires around you, and how bad the air must be! It is good that little Addy is staying indoors as much as possible, that smoke is not good for anyone to breathe, but especially babies and the elderly. Hope your skies have cleared up now!

      Delete
  12. How nice to have a tea party in your garden. The painting tea party looks like a lot of fun too. There are organized events like that in our area but kind of pricey. Yours looks more inviting with the bonus of yummy food. Hopefully the smoke clears soon. That is a little eerie in the middle of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the organized events would be pricey, so much nicer to do it with friends! I enjoyed your sharing of your visit to NYC, what an amazing visit you had! Hope you are doing well, hugs and blessings :)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful garden teas! Your scones look so delicious!
    Praying for safety when Harvey hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend, appreciate the prayers... it would be nice to sit down and have tea with you :)

      Delete
  14. First of all praying for your family in the path of the hurricane. praying they are able to get out of harm's way and stay safe and dry. Next...Wow! Both tea parties were just marvelous! What wonderful ideas...and so much beauty to go around! Loved the table setting at your party...looks so delightful. Loved the idea of the painting tea party as well...I would love to do something like that! What a fun idea! Thank you for sharing all of this with us. I feel like I've been to a garden party and it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it's a lovely place to sit and have tea while enjoying fellowship with a friend! Hurricane season can bring destruction for so many. Praying all in the path of Harvey stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Marilyn, your tea at home with your friend, looked so wonderful. I loved that you said that you didn't wait for perfection...that just warmed my heart. Your other tea with the painting party was another fun event, with such an array of food and beauty.
    I hope and pray that your family will be out of harms way with this Hurricane Harvey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how I enjoyed both these tea parties! What lovely ideas we lucky readers can take away from here. But, they did make me quite hungry, actually. I might start out rather small with my first tea party and invite our young granddaughters. I am really going to enjoy this blog and have already starting going back to previous posts. We will be thinking about all those in Harvey's path; hopefully all have heeded the warnings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Marilyn...what a delightful time you must have had! Two tea parties :0) I am quite jealous :D ... everything looked so delicious and the fellowship must have been just lovely. Thank you dear lady for sharing. I'm sorry that your are still getting those hazy, smoky days but Autumn is just around the corner and the air sure does change :) mari

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad you didn't wait to have your garden party, so many times we wait for things to be just right and we miss out on so much. I host a craft night for a few ladies from the church and have decided not to worry about my house that it is just perfect, they have fun and that is all that matters! I am with you a white blank canvas would be hard for me, I guess I that is why I like stamping at least there is a line art to start with at least :) You took some wonderful pictures of the garden and all the lovely flowers! Praying for all who are in the path of the storm coming ashore and also that the fires and smoke will end soon for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what fun you must have had at the tea parties! All the goodies look great.
    Hope your family is safe. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  21. What lovely parties! Both had their own personality and both were so nice. Do you know, I've never been to a tea party? I've been to big parties at church, but never to someone's home. I have lots of teacups that have been given to me over the years. Perhaps I am the one who should host a party someday.... Be blessed! Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marilyn, your photos, as always, are stunning! And I absolutely loved the idea of a tea party in the garden. Perfect!
    Praying that your family is safe during the horrendous flooding going on in Texas - such a travesty!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your little tea party and the one at your friend's house look lovely! What a joy to be able to have some special time with friends. I am so sorry though about the smoke from the fires. We have been getting more down here too, along with the dust in the air from harvest, but it looks like it is much worse for you up your way.

    Be blessed and take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How enchanting to have been part of not one, but TWO tea parties! Both look and sound lovely, with mouthwatering treats and wonderful, warm company. You are right: perfection is unrealistic - does it even exit? So, I'm glad you went ahead and hosted that charming teatime in your beautiful and bountiful garden.

    Marilyn, we have been seeing on the news the horrible devastation of Harvey, mostly in Texas. I hope your sister and extended family are all safe and out of harm's way.

    Sending prayers,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden and tea party looks so beautiful! And those blueberry scones! So delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I sure hope the fires are under control now. Too much rain in some parts of the country and dry conditions in others....it's so hard for so many. I love your tea party set up outside and the fun of the paint party! Enjoy your evening my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Marilyn, two tea parties--I call that heaven on earth! So many wonderful treats too! I totally understand the painting thing....I went to a painting party and mine was absolutely, hands down, the worst one in the group....I was so embarrassed. Took me right back to art class when I would put my arms around my work so no one could see how bad it was....:( I have always wished I was artistic in that sense. oh well....

    Sorry to hear about the fires and your family in the hurricane's path....please update us soon...praying they evacuated and are somewhere safe and dry. As always, thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comments. Always a pleasure to hear from you Marilyn! xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice parties!
    I hope the forest fires get under control. They are just awful.
    We are all praying for Texas too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness what wonderful Tea Parties you've had and attended.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a lovely tea party you had with your friend! and how delightful to have a tea party with painting...that sounds like a lot of fun! It is so nice to have these special times outdoors, and spent with others is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is a lot of smoke you have been experiencing. We have had lots of smoke here too - although sometimes we get a reprieve and how glorious it is to have clean air and blue sky. Reminds me of how many blessings I take for granted and how I need to cultivate a more thankful heart. Wishing you blue sky's ahead.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini