A Wild Week...

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

This has been a wild week, in more ways than one.  This past Monday night, Roger and Annie were attacked by a wild animal.  I didn't realize it until the next morning.  Roger's wound was more severe, and in fact, I didn't notice Annie's wound until several days later. 


We are not sure what it was that got the dogs, but it was something with claws, able to rip into the skin. We think possibly a raccoon, but other possibilities exist too.  At any rate, a trip to the vet with Roger resulted in surgery for him.  His wound had to be sutured, and then...


 ... the cone! Oh my.  Roger has NOT done well with the collar at all.  He came home, and just stood in the corner, and wouldn't move.  We couldn't get him to eat, drink or potty with the cone on.  So we had to take the cone off for short periods to let him take care of business, and then  try to get it back on.  He is just NOT a good patient!  I did not see the animal that attacked them, but we have been more cautious since the incident, to not let the dogs out alone at night.  Whatever it was, I hope it has moved on!


In happier news... the maple leaves this week became bright red... oh how I love the brilliance of this tree's leaves!


Snow on the mountains in September!  It was more than a dusting too!



Maple leaves are just starting to turn everywhere.  I am hopeful they will turn slowly, and stay with us for a while!


I attended a Stampin Up! shoebox gathering and this was the card that I brought to share with the other ladies.



I put together this natural bouquet out of my garden.  I picked a sunflower that was a late bloomer, some marigolds, and alyssum, then added some turkey feathers, a dried cornstalk and pine needles to create a little fall vignette in our home with pumpkins from our garden, and fallen blazing red maple leaves.


These trees have just started to turn colors, how wonderful it is to watch the beautiful colors emerge on the trees.


The shrubs are beginning to burst with color too...


You can see the top of the maple tree beginning to turn red... I hope they turn slowly and last for several weeks... one can hope!

Our little maple in the yard starting to turn red.  This picture was a couple of days ago, and it is now completely red.


Tea held out on the back deck as I gathered some of the red fallen leaves for my fall vignette inside.  I was drinking raspberry tea from the raspberry leaves gathered in my garden.  It is wonderful to drink... with great health benefits.


A closeup of the gorgeously colored maple leaves.



I saw this barn that had seen better days one evening, with the glorious evening light overhead, creating a beautiful pastoral scene.


Love the brilliant autumn colors that can be seen this time of year.


And then today, I had to take Annie to the vet, and she needed a collar too!  She got hit on her back leg as well, by the wild animal and while her wound wasn't as bad as Roger's, because she kept licking it so much, it was just not healing, and needed protection... hence the collar.  Now we have two wounded dogs running around with their collars of shame, knocking things over, and just generally being very difficult to have inside.  They have both learned to tolerate their collars, but we are all counting the days until they come off!

With this week being rather wild with our injured dogs, it turn an even greater turn for the worse when my Dad suffered an acute heart attack on Saturday morning.  It has been a very difficult process for all of us, because of the lack of forthcoming information about his condition.  After being taken to the ER, with all his blood work coming back normal, and because his condition was felt to be stable, and it being the weekend, we were told that he would have a heart catheterization sometime this week, and that a further decision for treatment would be made after the cath.   Meanwhile, his blood pressure kept rising, his sugars were rising as well, and we all continued in the "limbo" mode, not really sure what was going to happen.  We all felt he suffered a heart attack, but because the blood work, x-rays and EKG were completely negative and normal, it seemed the hospital was taking a very laid back approach to his care.

Today he finally was taken in to have the cath done, and was back out in short order.  They could not do the cath because of the complete blockages in ALL of his main vessels and arteries, and the only option now was open heart surgery.  As of tonight, a surgeon still has not been scheduled to do his open heart surgery, we are awaiting word on that, but his condition remains serious with the complete blockages in all of his heart vessels, blood pressure that remains high, and sugars high as well.  With all of this happening, after talking with my husband and family, we decided I needed to fly to Texas to be with the family for when he undergoes the open heart surgery hopefully Wednesday or at the latest Thursday.  Right now we are just waiting on a surgeon that is willing and able to do the surgery.

So I would covet your prayers for this situation, that the Lord would touch my Dad and help him get through the surgery and ongoing recovery process afterwards, prayer for other family members who are traveling, including myself to be here with him over the weekend.  One never knows what a day holds, a phone call, a text, or the next breath we take.  Our life is in the Lord's hands, and so thankful we can trust the Lord in times like this when our loved ones very lives are hanging in the balance.  And I am reminded once again of this scripture that has come to mean so much to me...

Psalms 91:1-2  
He that dwelleth 
in the secret place of the most High 
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  
I will say of the LORD, 
He is my refuge and my fortress: 
my God; in him will I trust.

In Him Will I Trust! Amen and amen!

Appreciate your prayers dear friends, and I will try to post an update when I can.

Update Thursday 9/28:  I had a great flight in to San Antonio and went straight to the hospital to see my dad. Within 20 minutes of my arrival there the two surgeons who had agreed to take Dad's case came to the room and explained their treatment plan, which was to have open heart surgery Friday morning with them hoping to do a quadruple bypass.

I continue to ask for your prayers for him and the team doing the surgery..in fact the surgeon said to us that with the good Lord's help things were anticipated to go well. So it was wonderful that I got to meet the surgeons doing the surgery and we can all prepare for the big day Friday. Thanks again so much for praying! I will post here again on Friday after he has the surgery.


36 comments

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear your dad suffered a heart attack. I'll keep him in my prayers. And it's so scary that your buddies were attacked.
    Love the fall colors in your area, and the snow on the mountain makes me impatient for some of our own. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ... poor Roger and Annie. They truly look miserable indeed. I know you're taking good care of them as they mend!

    Meanwhile, there's all those golden vistas to soak in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor puppies. My daughter has two Jack Russells and they were both attacked one time and had to undergo surgery. I don't remember if they had collars or not. I will keep your family in my prayers for healing for your dad and for peace for the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels Marilyn and prays for a successful surgery for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have had some week! I feel awful for your doggies. I don't know any dog that enjoys the cone. :) That is terrible about your dad. I will be praying for his health, the medical staff and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I will be praying for your Dad! Life can change so quickly! I laughed over the cone-head dogs, then was shocked over the seriousness of your Father!
    May you still take time to enjoy all the treasures even in this time!
    Love ya, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilyn, I am praying for your dad and for your family...and for your pups. I hope brighter days are ahead my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, glad they figured out what was really going on. Praying for your dad's surgery that all will go well and for you and your family as you travel, and wait, and see. So good to know that we are in God's hands. Those poor dogs, sorry for their injuries and praying the wild animal has moved far away from your place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is scary on both situations! Your dad's heart attack and with complete blockages and yet the tests came back normal?! And a wild animal attack on your dogs! So weird!

    Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow...praying for you now as you travel to be with your family. Praying for your Dad and that the Lord will be with him and bring healing and strength to him. Praying for your family back at home...the doggies...poor babies. Glad they weren't hurt worse. May God give you peace and calm and strength for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marilyn, I will add your father to my prayer list. May God guide the surgeon's hands. Poor Roger and Annie. That is so scary. I hope their cone days will come to an end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Marilyn, you have had quite a week. Poor Roger and Annie. I'm glad they received the care they needed and are now healing. The cone of shame. It's so embarrassing to them. :-)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your father. It is so frustrating when it seems the doctors and professionals don't seem to be listening to you. I have been there and know how much you want them to just listen and believe you, (your father). We know when something isn't right with our bodies. I'm praying for peace and calmness of spirit for all of you as you wait for the surgery to take place. Also for travel mercies for you as you fly to Texas. Please let us know how things are going if it's possible.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and yours will be in my prayers . . . like the songs says, "what a difference a day makes . . . " Blessings to you, Marilyn.

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Marilyn, Sending prayers right now for your dad! May Healing touch him and restore him.
    O.k. so you've had a tough week-that is so scary about your dogs. About two-three weeks ago a neighbors several homes away had a wild canine type animal jump their 5' wrought iron fence(just like ours)during the day and it shook their small terrier to death. The vet tried to save the dog, but it was too lake. The vet said it was not an owl, eagle or hawk but probably a coyote-but it was at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon and they are right next to the golf course too. So for two weeks, at night, when Hunter went outside I was up going out with him. Such a awful thing to have to worry about. Praying your pups heal quickly! O.k so I love your colors-we go to New England on Tuesday and hope we get some brilliant colors. Hope your weekend grants you rest and peace.
    Hugs and prayers.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, on top of your two canine friends being attacked by some critter. I will pray for your Dad and your whole family at this time.

    Your fall colors are absolutely beautiful! What a joy to be able to enjoy that.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Marilyn! I am so sorry to hear about your daddy. It's scary when the docs seem to be just milling about, in no hurry, while we are thinking, Get on it, man! I will surely be praying for your daddy, and the doctor's, and for you as you travel.
    Puppies are so curious but hopefully they will heal just fine and be good as new. :)
    Love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my, Marilyn, you all HAVE been through the wringer. I will definitely be praying for your Dad and for your safe travels, my friend.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marilyn, I am so very sorry to hear this about your dad. I will pray for him this morning. It does indeed sound like you've had a wild and ROUGH week my friend. Bless your heart. So sorry about your dogs too. When it rains, it pours. I heard a pastor say once, "You've either just come through a trial, or you are in the midst of one, or one is on it's way". So very true. The Lord never promised us the road would be easy but He did promise us that He would never leave us nor forsake us. Praying for your strength as you deal with so many things. And...your pictures are beautiful. What a ray of sunshine for me this morning. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Marilyn, you are right, we can never take anything in our lives for granted because we never know what the next moment will bring...BUT...when we know the One who does, we can get through these rough times through HIM! I am sorry your world is turned upside down but so very glad to hear that your dear father seems to be in very capable hands now in Texas. And those precious pups of yours...oh I'm so glad they weren't hurt worse or killed. Your family is in my prayers, especially for a successful surgery on Friday. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marilyn...my prayers are with you dear lady...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Receiving such difficult news about your dad when you're a distance from him is hard to bear. You're right to head back to be with your family at this time. I'm sure your dad will appreciate having you close too.
    My dad went through heart surgery as well, and it turned things upside down for a while. Just hang in there in this new territory, and it will all come right again. If you can deal with it just one day at a time it is less overwhelming. Don't worry about how things will work out in the future. It's all in God's hands as you say.
    Your dogs look so sad, but I hope they heal up quickly. Those cones are the worst things. My dog had one on for eight weeks! I put thick boy's underwear on him sometimes to give him some movement and keep him off the incision. It helped a bit (but looked ridiculous).
    Hugs to you Marilyn. I'm sending you prayers now for your dad, you and your family to give you the strength to get through this difficult time.
    Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is tough and scary news about your dad. I hope things go well for him, and you are able to keep his spirits up before and after surgery. Dealing with doctors IS frustrating.

    I just wanted to let you know that I have border collies, and they can demolish the house when they have the inevitable surgery and need a cone.
    I have found that the neck cushions like they sell at Ross work better than the cone, (I sewed my own) and make the dogs much happier. My dogs mostly seem to find a way to remove the cone, or tear it to pieces. With the neck cushions I sew on loops to thread the collar through, and put those on. They are not fool proof, but neither are cones. I just keep an eye on them, but they have worked for me. And the dogs still have peripheral vision, and are able to get around, and they don't sulk in a corner all day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is scary for the hospital to be so laid back and then have it be something so serious! Prayers to you, your family and Dad for a successful surgery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry to hear about your dad and I pray that the surgeons will be on their top performances Friday and that God will guide their hands and minds and make the best decisions for his surgery. I'm so glad you are there with him and your family. Your new header on this blog is gorgeous and your photos of the trees and that old barn and sunset are just stunning.... oh nature up in your country is more than beautiful, it's just indescribable! Prayers to you.... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really sorry to hear about your dear Father my friend!

    I pray from the depth of my heart that May God give him perfect health and happy ,healthy life ahead(tears)amen!!!

    Sorry about your darling pet who was attacked by some wild animal ,glad the all necessary cure is done he is getting better.

    Thank you for your GORGEOUS PHOTOS!!!
    you captured the STUNNING VIEWS MAGICALLY .
    you live in very beautiful area my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying for your dad. ♡
    You are having a beautiful fall there. The photos are so pretty.
    Hope the pups are better soon too.
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just now reading this, I do hope & pray that your dad's surgery went well. So very sorry to hear this news & the news that your dogs were attacked as well. Healing thoughts for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh now beautiful all your fall colour is and how it wraps the landscape in cheerfulness!
    I'm glad that you were able to get the dogs cared for, and that it wasn't more serious. It's a good thing that they only have to wear the cone for a bit.
    Praying that all will be ok with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so behind on my blog reading. Big ((((HUGS)))) my friend and lots of prayers for your dad and for you too. I am glad you were able to fly down and be with him and meet with the surgeons. I feel so bad for Roger and Annie too and pray for healing for them and that whatever it was that got them is far gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, poor Roger and Annie and then your dad. I hope that you will all recover soon, my friend and send a big big hug.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your photographs are lovely ... Fall (Autumn) is a lovely season.
    Sorry to read about Roger and Annie and your Dear Dad ... sending my prayers and good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello,
    Sending prayers for your dad. I walked this path in April. It is so important to have support of family. So happy you are able to be with yours.
    Sending hugs for you, your family and your sweet pets. Wow, what a scare.

    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sending many thoughts and prayers to you and your dad and your family at this worrying time. How comforting that everything and everyone is in the Lord's hands. The colours of Fall in your part of the world are beautiful. With all that snow on the mountains, I am supposing Winter is inching ever closer. Hope your 'puppies' heal soon. Those cones look mighty uncomfortable. Take care, lovely Marilyn. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I pray for your father's recovery. I love that Psalm verse. God bless you and your loved ones, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Our prayers for your dad, you and your family. Ohhh dogs, it must hurt! I hope they are healing well from surgery. Sending a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Marilyn dear: This is your momma. We want to thank you again for coming to be with me and dad and all the family. Your were the ray of sunshine that we needed. Love you and appreciate what you did to help us get through this ordeal. Love ya much oxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini