Winter's Days are Numbered!

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Indeed they really are.  We can see signs of spring everywhere here, in fact I have seen robins on my walk each morning this week!  The snow is melting and the wind has a whistle to it that sings of springtime.  Winter lingers, but spring is persevering. 

I have some more winter pictures to share with you, but we will be moving on to spring quite soon!

I finished my yo-yo project, and got it hung in my craft room. 
This made a great winter's evening project!

It took me a while to sew up 80 yo-yos, but I was thrilled with the finished result.  My thanks to my
sweet friend Jill who helped me get started with the yo-yos! 
 
One night before another winter storm came in, these glowering clouds spoke of the storm to come. 
 
Walking in the light of the sunset one evening, a glorious event to see!

These twin orphans have been coming to visit regularly. 

Annie-girl loving her walks in the snow.  

Snow makes all things beautiful, even this rather forlorn looking fence!

A winter wonderland!
Down at the river, I saw this eagle flying high in the sky.  I hoped he would come a little closer to me, but
alas, he chose not to.  Magnificent creatures they are! My camera lens was at its max zoom with this picture. 


The hoarfrost and ice sculptures along the river were stunning to see. 

This tree looked like a scene out of Narnia with the hoarfrost/ice melting away
as the sun shone on it, even though it was about 12 degrees outside.  


Looking across the river, this red barn caught my fancy! 

The ice sculptures along the river looked like little ice puppets dancing for joy! 
My husband and I took a drive up river.  We stopped to look at the water that is piped from a mountain spring
and comes out alongside the road.  Many people who live off grid depend on this free source of water that flows year round.

We went to visit the caverns at the Indian Reservation.  We've been here many times, but never during winter. 
We hiked through the snow to get to the caverns on the side of the mountain. 


The steps were encased in sparkling ice.  Since we weren't eager for a tumble,
we scrambled to get up inside the cave along the edge instead. 


Inside the cave, the dripping water had created these little ice statutes
everywhere... they were so unique looking!

The sound of dripping water was very loud, and echoed to where we could hardly hear each other speak.



Looking out on the world outside the cave.
I took a picture of this huge icicle, but definitely stayed away from it, it was huge
and would hurt if it happened to fall while you were under it! 

Underneath the huge icicle was this pile of ice that had created its own style of beauty
from each drop of water from the icicle. 
 
After our visit to the cave, we crossed back over the river, and drove back down the other side. 
It was a gorgeous day for a drive!
My husband and I took a quick trip to Texas last weekend to visit family there.  His family was having a family reunion, and there were several birthdays in my family that we got together and celebrated.  I was hoping to see some bluebonnets while we were there, but unfortunately, we were about a week or so too early to see any.  However, there were other flowers in bloom.

The mountain laurels were in bloom.  Unfortunately on the day I tried to take this picture,
the wind was blowing like crazy
and the picture is a bit blurry.  

Oh yes, we are in Texas!  Look at that traffic!  Bumper to bumper.
Thankfully my husband doesn't mind driving in the traffic. 

Jasmine blooming in my MIL's yard. 
Beautiful bright yellow drops of sunshine!


A gorgeous Texas sunset.  You can see the trees are still barren of leaves.  Some of the trees
were just starting to put on leaves while we were there. 

The Texas redbud trees were blooming out everywhere in gorgeous purple blooms.  

A closeup of the Texas redbud in bloom. 

We took a drive in the Hill Country looking for bluebonnets, and found none.  But I loved
this little scene alongside one of the back roads we traveled. 

I wonder what kind of patrol this wagon was used for in its day? It had weathered the years well! 
We found a field of longhorn cattle, and this particular handsome fellow stared at me for a bit,
long enough for me to get his picture before he galloped away. 

For my husband's family reunion, they were camping out along the river.
While everyone set up camp, I cooked dinner for them in the iron Dutch ovens. 

Just a simple soup mixed with a bit of smoke from the campfire, and
you have a delicious quick, and easy meal. 

Just go, indeed!  Sometimes you just need to pack up and go.  What a cute sign!

My brother's roses were in bloom, and I was thrilled to see them!  



A sweet 16 birthday for my niece and a big 4-0 birthday for my sister
were celebrated with our family. 

And an Easter egg hunt for the little ones.  

Always so relaxing to visit with family at my brother's home. 


Another gorgeous Texas sunset. 

And before we knew it, it was time to fly back home... Southwest of course. 
We love flying with Southwest.  
 
My garden sits covered in a deep blanket of snow... waiting for spring!

My chickens are waiting on spring too!  They've braved the cold snow to get out of the coop, although
they let me know they are not too happy about it, lol! 


Spring is coming here, I can feel and smell it in the air.  Snow is melting, mud is abounding, and the days are waxing longer and longer.  Now we are getting about 12 hours a day of sunshine, which always amazes me once the time changes.  Winter's days are indeed numbered, and while he may put up a fight or two til the end... spring will persevere! 

I've ordered my seeds for this year's garden, and they arrived today, so I will be doing some planting in my little greenhouse tomorrow.  I'm excited about getting my hands in the dirt :) I'll be starting tomatoes and peppers for now, and in a couple of weeks I will start some flowers, and closer to planting time, I will start squash, pumpkin, beans etc.  I find that because of our very short growing climate, it helps to start most of what I plant in the garden ahead of time in my greenhouse.  It is extra work, but oh so worth it come harvest time :)

I saw four robins today on my walk, and although they wouldn't let me get close enough for a picture (I just had my phone on me), I was thrilled to see them and hear their cheerful cries as they searched for worms. 

The joyful birds prolong the strain,
Their song with every spring renewed
The air we breathe, and falling rain
Each softy whispers: God is good! 
~ John Hampden Gurney ~


And a psalm that I wanted to sing along with the birds came to mind as I walked: 

Psalms 95:1-7
O come, let us sing unto the Lord: 
let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, 
and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.

For the Lord is a great God, 
and a great King above all gods.
In his hand are the deep places of the earth: 
the strength of the hills is his also.
 The sea is his, and he made it: 
and his hands formed the dry land.

 O come, let us worship and bow down: 
let us kneel before the Lord our maker.
For he is our God; 
and we are the people of his pasture, 
and the sheep of his hand.



And as the robins sang, I rejoiced in our Creator and to know that spring was coming soon. :)




53 comments

  1. Beautiful photos, Marilyn. The winter scenes were gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... each shot is better than the next! Simply stunning. You are some creative woman. What an inspiring start to the weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, your post is chockfull of beauty. The photographs speak loudly of God's beautiful handiwork. The ice in the caverns is amazing! I am not sure I'd be brave enough to venture in (I watch too many movies...) I think spring is a bit in the air. Our weather has been unpredictable but glorious regardless. Much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pretty picture, Marilyn. You really do like in an amazing part of the country. Winter just looks lovelier where you live. The yo-yos are gorgeous. I love the colors in your craft room, what a happy place! And we recently had a pair of bald eagles move into the neighborhood. It's been a real thrill to see them fly overhead in the mornings and to catch a glimpse of them in their nest or perched by the water...hunting, I am sure. I am hopeful that they will have babies this spring. It's the first pair of its kind in our area in over 50 years and a real treat...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I apologize for the typos...my phone clearly has a mind of its own!

      Delete
  5. Oh Marilyn, what a delightful post. So much beauty to see and enjoy through your photos. The icicles were most interesting... ah, Our God loves us so much to fill our surroundings with so much beauty... Thank you for sharing dear lady :) ... maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay spring! I'll be so glad when spring comes. Warmer days is definitely something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many gorgeous sky/cloud pictures!! Spring is definitely on its way. It's such fun sowing seeds and hoping they germinate and thrive!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous photos.. What a beautiful world the Lord has made.. Looking forward to spring right along with you my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You take stunning photos! I'm seeing signs of spring and I'm starting to get giddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing post. Your photos are breathtaking and as you describe each scene,I feel like I'm right there with you. Sing praises to our God,yes and Amen. He is so worthy of our praise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...I don't know what was my favorite. Beautiful photos. That eagle flying is something special and those cave ice sculptures are amazing. So much to see and enjoy and marvel in. Hope your weekend is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so beautiful, sweet friend! I just loved seeing all the photos, especially the ones of the snow! I HATE to think of winter leaving! I love the fall and winter so much...but each season has a beauty all its own. So thankful for life, whatever season we are in! It is always such a blessing to visit with you. God bless you!!! Sending love and hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are gorgeous photos Marilyn. Most of the snow has been gone here in town for a few weeks. We went up to the camper this morning though and there is still lots of snow there and the lake still is frozen over. I am ready for wi tee to end.
    That’s one of my favorite psalms. Thanks for sharing with us today.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I continue to be amazed at the scenery you enjoy on a daily basis. It truly is God's country where you are. How can anyone deny there is a creator with all that beauty around?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, a big "wow" for your gorgeous photos, Marilyn! Yes, spring is right around the corner for you, isn't it? But the winter shots are stunning, too.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your gift of photography is a blessing for all of us to enjoy, Marilyn. Your scenic photos are amazing!! The ones in the cave blew me away.
    The yoyo project is very pretty. I really love the colors you used.
    Sounds like your time spent with family was wonderful! what a happy time for everyone.
    The snow is gradually melting away here. The nights are still in the single digits, so it will be a while until the ice on the lake is completely gone. The clear blue skies are a welcome sight. Spring is definitely on it's way! I am anxious to get my kayak out on the water.
    I am always lifted up when I visit you, Marilyn. Your love of life, and God inspires my soul!!
    In Christ Jesus.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    I am up to 5 robin sightings. ;-)
    I also plan to start some seeds this week.

    Marilyn, you have a true gift for photography. I LOVE your eye of capturing the beauty around you.
    Love to you,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how your pictures tell such amazing stories all on their own. What a joy to be able to escape to Texas to see your family and soak in the warmth and beauty of Spring there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved these pictures! I was surprised to read that the dripping water in the cave was so loud! I wouldn't have expected that. Such fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Marilyn...... LOVE the colors in your craft room! Lots of pink... my fave! Those yo yo's are darling.. they are fun to make aren't they? I have a few ideas for yo yo projects.. too many ideas floating around in my head. And your photos are stunning as usual... it's so fun to take a walk with you.. I can almost hear the snow squeaking under my feet... when I lived in SW Washington I took many country walks like you do, usually with my 3 cats following along, even in the snow. What fun that was. That one picture of the sky with all the colors, including purple, is just beyond what words can describe! Wow. And how fun to head south to where there was bare ground, and even a swimming pool! and family too.. birthdays and flowers. What a nice break.. and then to come home to all that snow... quite a change. What elevation are you at? Just curious. I don't know how much I'll garden this year.. it's hard on my back and my poor hands that both have carpal tunnel.. but I do so enjoy the flowers, so even if I tell myself I'm not going to do that much, I probably will! I don't know how close spring is here, it's still awful gray and cloudy and windy and COLD! Take care.. .hugs to you...... Marilyn J

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Marilyn, you have shared so much beauty here in this post! Your craft room is pretty and the little yoyo wall hanging is delightful! I can imagine they are quite tedious to make and connect them all. Every time I see photos from your little corner of heaven, I am left in awe of how wonderful it must be to wake up to that everyday. The family reunion campout sounds like so much fun...nothing like cooking over the open fire is there? We don't fly often but when we do, we have found Southwest to be the best! I am thinking spring right along with you, sweet friend...let's get on with the show! I am SO ready! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all the beautiful pictures and really would love a bowl of that soup! YUMMY! Love the yoyo hanging on your wall. Girl, you outdone yourself. That's lots of dang yoyo's. Spring is officially tomorrow but here in Florida, who knows! I will not plant any veggies until after Easter just to be safe! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I truly enjoyed this beautiful posts! Your winter photography is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your yo-yo project turned out beautifully, Marilyn. My mother-in-law loved to make yo-yos. Your pictures are always so amazing...and the Texas Redbud is just gorgeous! Glad you went to see your brother! Such fun to be in a warmer climate in the middle of winter. Have a grat remainder to your week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know what to mention first...it was all so wonderful...the cave pictures were stunning, along with all of your winter views. Texas was pretty spectacular too! This was a wonderful journey toward spring, and I thank you for sharing it with us. Loved it all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marilyn, I'm stopping by again to let you know that I started a new crafty blog on Blogger. I hope that you will join me. :-). The blog is linked to my name/profile.

    And I want to say that the chicken picture made me laugh (both times I visited!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photographs are simply stunning, I've been scrolling up and down for many minutes enjoying them over again and again.

    We saw a robin sitting in a nearby tree yesterday - I think he was sheltering from the snow! We have had a little recently ... but hopefully Spring is just around the corner!

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The beauty of Spring is singing both at your lovely home and your brothers. That Texas blooming tree is stunning. The photos you have captured truly do take my breath away. Each and every one sings to the majesty and awesomeness of God. LOVE your sweet yo-yos all joined together. How pretty they look hanging there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful photo's, and today is the first day of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved seeing the sweet vignette in your craft room, and your yo-yo project turned out so pretty. I've made quite a few yo-yo's in my life.
    I'm just in awe at all of your photos, Marilyn. they are truly magnificent. How nice to get together with family in Texas, but I'll bet it was so nice to get
    home sweet home. Happy 1st Day of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, that huge icicle is so cool, Marilyn. And the icicles in the cave are unusual and lovely. It was such a treat for me to see your snow pictures, so beautiful in every way. The Eagle is such a grand bird, isn't it? Your soup looks Yummy, and sounds good on this rainy day here. I love the pictures of the longhorn and the chickens in the snow. Your photos always amaze me, Marilyn.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Spring, sweet friend! I so enjoyed your post and oh, how I love your little corner with your pretty creations and yo-yo hanging! Your yo-yo project turned out simply lovely.

    The pictures you share with us are always so beautiful and inspiring. I just loved the cave and ice photos. And how wonderful that you were able to spend time with family - what a joyous time for all.

    Thinking of you, dear one. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy spring. I like the yoyo project. The colors are so pretty.
    I always love your photographs. They are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful, beautiful.....BEAUTIFUL pics. I love that area you showed. Yep...Mother Nature is playing with us also in TN....no snow but the warm, hot and then COLD days are crazy. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Marilyn... Ah, how lovely it was to visit with you today. I so enjoyed a good catch up with you! What beautiful photographs of the snow that you have had this winter...I can imagine how delightful it must be to capture photographs of such incredible winter time beauty... And my...those icicles are spectacular!
    I'm so glad you could visit family down in Texas... It sounds like you had a blessed time together!
    Ah...how thrilling to think of Spring's arrival...you must be so eager to get into your garden again!
    Oh and your sweet fabric yo yo's are adorable...I know that they are hard work...I admire you for making so many!
    I hope you are doing well...I've missed stopping by your lovely blog!
    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Spring, dear Marilyn!

    The calendar says it definitely arrived yesterday, but clearly, in your beautiful neck of the woods, Mother Nature refuses to part with the spectacular, snowy season, which is fine; you don't want to mess with Mama!

    Your craft room is so pretty, it could easily be a painting, as it reminds me of the images of my favourite artist, a Canadian named Janet Hill. Check her out, I think you'll understand why. https://www.janethillstudio.com/

    Your trip to Texas is sounds like a lot of fun, and I have loved seeing pics of it on IG. You sure know how to eat down there, in the south!

    But, I'm certain you are glad to be home, tending to your chickens, walking with your fur babies and cooking up cozy, comfort food for your family, enjoying winter weather for all its wonderful gifts.

    Thanks for the great update on all your recent adventures!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear Marilyn you live in such glorious area and how lucky to have such powerful lenses to capture and even luckier to have sensibility to capture so brilliantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    your photos worth publishing in some magazine i believe! THEY ARE STUNNING AND BREATH TAKING!!!!!!!!!!

    Best of luck with your gardening venture dear!

    family gatherings are always so reliving :) happy birthdays to all who celebrated !

    loved the vibrant house colour of your brother yet seems so serene due to have pool.

    thank you for beautiful poetic words and wise verse

    ReplyDelete
  39. Marilyn, your photographs are just stunning! I can feel the coldness in all the loveliness they convey. The cave was quite interesting to view. Your yo yo project made me smile. Years ago I made a pillow with them. They are so much fun to make on a cozy evening by the fire. Your Texas trip was quite lovely and I'm sure a tease for Spring to get here soon. Happy birthday to all of your birthday folks. We had snow yesterday, but today we are enjoying warmer temps and plenty of sunshine. Have a wonderful evening as you contemplate your new garden. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful! I have no words...just beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
    Have a blessed weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your photos are just fantastic...I enjoyed ea and every one of them.
    Yes, spring is sure here in my part of the country...we have wind and sand a lot thru spring but our summers are usually nice.
    I was in so much hurt last spring and summer that I never noticed the change in weather...didn't plant flowers or try to keep the ones I had alive...this spring, however, with the help of God and my sweet family, I am once again so ready to get outside again....in the garden, work on getting my tiny patio all pretty again.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The chickens in the snow, so funny to me. I loved all your glorious photos. The crazy ice sculptures by mother nature. The deer shot is wonderful and oh that eagle, love it. Blessings to you and yours, stay safe. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  43. How I love to read about your adventures and simple joys! Thank you for sharing such lovely pictures! OH, and your yo-yo's are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Winter can definitely be breathtaking. I'm so over it now though. I just want to garden again!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Marilyn, your photos are absolutely gorgeous. It looks like you've been quite busy. Spring is definitely in the air, I can't wait. We will be a getting a few warmer days this week but cleaning out the gardens will be waiting for a bit. Your yo-yo wall hanging is very nice. I have never made those before but it looks like fun. I've been doing lots of crafts lately which has been quite enjoyable. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Incredibly beautiful photos! The panoramic view is spectacular! Wonder which camera and lens used for that shot. I had never seen the bloom of the redbud trees, amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. You've documented the beauty of the end of winter so well, Marilyn, great photos. I was going to send a basket of sunshine but we don't have any today :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  48. NICE!
    Thanks for sharing Marilyn!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I thought for sure I had seen this post and commented but apparently not. I do remember seeing the images though. Sounds like you had a great trip. I love the idea of cooking over a campfire! Your meals always sound incredibly tasty. LOVE the Longhorn!!! He is majestic looking. And the Deer...how sweet! Well, I'm home sick this Resurrection Sunday. I do hope you have a blessed day, sweet friend. Much love to you~

    ReplyDelete
  50. Dear Marilyn, popping in to say thank you so much for the beautiful handmade Easter card. I love it! I have it in my kitchen so I can see it all the time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  51. What gorgeous pictures! It was so fun to go "along" with you on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini