Wintertime Moments

Monday, February 18, 2019

This winter to date had been very mild with very little snow, to the point that the newspaper had just published an article concerned about the lack of snowpack in our mountains, and the potential it could have on our dry summers here.  Not less than a couple of days later.... winter did a 360-turnaround, and decided to show up.  We really did need all the extra snow, as our trees depend on the snowpack to deeply feed their root systems to sustain them through our hot and dry summers. 

So while the snow has been falling, we have been making the most of it! Winter just happens to be one of my favorite seasons (I actually love the seasons here year-round)!  I've found making the most of each one, and enjoying it to the fullest makes the days pass easier.

Our family took to the ski slopes for a day of downhill skiing.

The views were magnificent! 

My little Parade rose that my husband bought for me last year for Valentine's Day has
still continued to bloom month after month! 


A dear friend had invited me over to learn a new craft, dot painting! 
It was a very fun afternoon! 

A new quilting store in our community is holding classes, and so I took the Paper Piecing Class.
How I loved learning this technique, and it amazed me just how easy it was to do!


All set up for an afternoon of quilting with my Ironstone teapot (found at a thrift store for $4!) and a fun new teacup made by BTaT (Brew To a Tea).  You can see one of my paper pieced blocks in the background. 

Our son brought these home to show me what would be going into his lungs while he welds.  The left filter was only worn for 4 days, while the right is a new filter.  Thankfully he wears a mask with these filters on while he works!  I reminded him, as any mother would, to be sure and change his filters every third day! 
This sweet little face loves to bury her face in the snow!


Hoar frost astounds me with each tiny magnificent strand of loveliness. 

Deep fog has set in on one of our morning walks. 

I took Riley with me as I went for an afternoon cross-country ski at a local park that is closed for the season.
The sun was shining, and the day was glorious!
This was before all the snow we received last week.  I had to take my skis off to walk down to the river. 


This beautiful old stone walkway leads down to the river bed. 


Turkey antics! The turkeys were determined to eat all my birdseed, so my bird feeders had to be rearranged!
Quite clever of them though!

Cold winter days call for healthy doses of comfort food ... a favorite of our family, gumbo with Iron Skillet Biscuits, comfort food at its finest. I made the gumbo in my Instant Pot, which I have really used a lot! 

My Iron Skillet Biscuits.  The recipe can be found at this blog post here
I think these might just be the best biscuits you'll ever taste! 

I've started a Ladies Prayer Meeting at my home every Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. I made these Prayer and Blessing Journals for the ladies who come.  It helps to record the prayer requests and blessings/testimonies from week to week and to see how the Lord answers our prayers! They are very easy to make.  If anyone is interested in directions, let me know, and I could do a post on how to make one for yourself.  The design is simple, and could easily be "gussied up" if so desired :) 

I think this poor little bird feeder needs dusted off and refilled, lol!
This is the amount of snow we received overnight last Tuesday.... 

These two would live outside in the snow, I know winter is their favorite season!

Hoping I will take them for a walk... who cares if it is snowing? 

One of the sad realities of getting over a foot of snow overnight, the roofs must be shoveled! 



More winter-time comfort food! 

I always enjoy seeing my favorite red barn when I walk each morning.  

Oh my, this face!  She knows how to get what she wants :) 

And this face too.... walking is their very favorite thing to do.  5 miles a day and still they beg for more! 

Down by the river at sunset.... can you bid good night in a more beautiful way than this? 

Those sultry skies at dusk just grab my heart with their stunning ambiance. 

I can get through the gray days when the skies put on their wintry delight at daylight's exit. 

One morning before a massive winter storm moved in, the skies danced with these glorious colors!


Another rose blooming from my Valentine's Day plant.... isn't it a beauty! It brightens my world! 

Oh dear... another Riley face! 


Orange tinged tree-tops amid a glorious late afternoon sunset that warmed the earth with its golden gaze. 

Annie-girl in the snow, her favorite place in the world!

The moon making an early appearance while the sun kissed the tips of the trees goodnight. 

Another winter sunset... I never cease to be amazed by winter's last rays of sun dancing before
their last goodbyes to daylight are said. 
For many, winter days drag on and on, and I can understand that seeing gray and white color schemes day after day does get wearisome.  I can honestly say though, that just getting outside and lifting my face to the sky, gray/white or not... seems to calm and ease any winter blues there may be! 

I'm finishing off this post and am about to don my cross-country skis and go for a winter wonderland ski.... the sky is bright with dabs of sunshine, and the snow is deep.  I'll lift my face to the sky and be thankful for these winter days... soon enough spring will come, but until then, I'll enjoy the beauty that awaits around me :) Blessings to all!

33 comments

  1. What an uplifting post this is! I must admit that I at times do get tired of the monotone colors of winter, but mostly it is the bitter cold that gets to me.Having said that, you show such tremendous beauty.I have also found beauty recently, as I share on my blog. Thanks for lifting my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post today. So many beautiful pictures, both inside and out. That dot painting is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!
    What lovely photos of your lovely life!
    I so enjoyed the beautiful scenery, as well as the cozy food and crafts.
    It is cold here and snowing.
    I am enjoying the cozy calm that is February in Pennsylvania. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your winter pictures are beautiful. I'm enjoying our snow here and i will bummed when the snow is gone for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Marilyn you just filled my day with so much natural beauty , flavor of mouthwatering delicious food ,cute pet's charm and glory of lord showering upon you each season :)

    I am always STUNNED with the natural beauty you are surrounded with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And the way you bring it to us to enlighten our souls!

    your sunset captures made me speechless,

    loved the quilt too ,so pretty!

    absolutely LOVED the rose gifted by your hubby on love day ,may it keep blooming always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabrics in your paper piecing blocks...they are so very pretty. How fun to learn a new skill. Dot painting too.....you are having fun, aren't you. Your landscape does look beautiful dressed in snow. How fabulous to ski across country and drink in all those beautiful skies and mountains and rivers. You do live in a patch of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful photos, I have had to go back and take another look. The skies are a real delight, along with all the snow simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great post! Thanks for all of the photos. The one of the two turkeys looking for food was a hoot.

    Enjoy your winter for as long as it lasts.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, Marilyn, such stunning photos! Oh, how I wish we had gotten some snow here this winter, but it was not to be. Our daffodils are already in full bloom!
    I love your attitude, too, about simply enjoying each season as it comes. Puts a positive and healthy spin on all of our days.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful photos Marilyn. You could “almost” make me like winter with your sunset photos. It looks like your ski area might be 49° north? Just curious. What beautiful blessing journals. I, too, have a prayer notebook that I write requests and blessings in. It keeps me reminded of things that I might miss otherwise. Thank you for sharing your beautiful corner of the world with us. In town the snow isn’t quite so beautiful, but some of that is probably my attitude toward it. I love to look out towards Mount Spokane though, and watch the sunset on it. We really do live in a beautiful part of the world.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy you got the much needed snow, loved all the photos and the stories with each one. It is so encouraging to see so many blog friends doing hand made projects, makes me want to get busy with those that I have postponed.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! Those are some gorgeous views. I know I am always saying that but it is true! Miss Riley looks happy happy HAPPY in the snow ;-) Your prayer journals are so pretty!!! I have got to get some of my craft stuff organized so I can make a few things. I ordered some clearance supplies from a friend who is a major card maker in the industry and I'm excited to get my hands on them; burlap ribbon, heart clips, watercolor cards, and a couple of mini journals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun wintery post. Those snow packs are important for our other seasons for sure. You have a great attitude for winter living. I need to learn how to get out in the snow and enjoy it more. I'm thinking snowshoes are a good start. Those prayer journals are wonderful. It is a good tool so you don't have to fumble for that piece of paper you wrote last weeks requests on. :) How nice to have your furry friends to enjoy winter walks and cross country skiing with! Happy Tuesday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Marilyn... just glorious photos of the skies there! When the world is white, the skies add the color that we so crave during winter! When I lived south of here, it was a pretty white world in the winter and just pine trees that were kind of boring.. but boy would the sunrises and sunsets make up for it! That last photo that is all lavender is my very favorite! So glad to get caught up via this post.. and all of your doings and crafts and cooking, etc. That lasagna makes me so hungry.. and those pan rolls... sigh. I can't eat gluten so no pasta for me and no yummy yeasty rolls. Sigh again.......... You have alot of energy to go skiing and cross country skiing. How wonderful to be in an area where you can do that and where the woods and mountains are open to you to enjoy. I would love to see how you made your prayer journals. I want to make a few for the little shop here in town. If I lived in your corner of Heaven, I too would relish the winters and snow and beauty. Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your winter days . Snow skiing has always looked so fun to me but I’ve never even tried . And.... ain’t about to now .😂 that gumbo looks so good and a bowl of that surely would feed my belly and my soul . It’s rsther chilly here today too and would be a good night for gumbo . Yes your son best keep that mask on . Oh that makes me nervous . Glad you are enjoying the days of winter . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you enjoy winter because it sure looks like you're getting a dose of it.
    Paper piercing... now that's a kind of 'quilting' I could do!!
    Now I'm off to check out the recipe for skillet biscuits. We are big fans of biscuits around here and making them in a skillet sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post, Marilyn. The world is full of such beauty, and such variety. How wonderful it is and how wonderfully you show it to us. Love the idea of the prayer journals. Those biscuits look so yummy; I can imagine they are delicious with butter and honey. Yum yum. The snow is slowly melting here, but it's not disappearing as quickly as some would hope, for the temperatures remain low. Paper piecing is a fun skill. I did a paper pieced heart last week and enjoyed it very much. Your fabrics are great colours. Hope you enjoyed your skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh these pictures are absolutely stunning! The dot painting, that's something I could do! Those welding filters, oh my goodness! I had no idea welding created that much... dust? Yuck. Thank goodness for filters! Your dogs! We used to have a black lab who loved the snow. He acted like a puppy every time it snowed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear, dear Marilyn. Your pictures are always so fantastic. The nature pictures are so gorgeous but that Riley is just as gorgeous! What a beautiful dog she is! All of your food looks so so yummy. Now I am going to need to make some lasagna...it has been a good while since we've had any. And I definitely am trying the biscuits! My husband loves a good biscuit and unfortunately, I am not a very good biscuit maker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful pictures. The sunset ones are amazing. I'm always so delighted here in Michigan to see our winter sunsets. It can be gray and gloomy all day, then there's a brief moment at twilight when the sun's rays break through the gloom and give us a beautiful sky. Your dogs must be so happy you like to go for such long winter walks. They look like they really enjoy the snow! I just got an InstaPot so am going to try it out today. Nothing like comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many pretty pictures! It's been cold and snowy here, too. We've gotten quite a bit of snow this year. I'm so ready for spring! ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You live your life with beauty and joy and an energy that's positively contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marilyn, what a delightful life you live with your family and pets! Your landscape never fails to be beautiful! I've not heard of dot painting before. Sounds like something I could handle! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pictures of Idaho make me love "home" even more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your photos are stunning, Marilyn, and almost tempt me to move back that way. Almost, but not quite. I can see, though, why winter works for you. You enjoy being out in it in a big way: downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, walking with the dogs. And taking/sharing all your photos. That makes the season more than bearable for you. It makes it a joy! I congratulate you for embracing it and not just making "the best of it", but truly enjoying it. Fabulous! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH your adventures are so delightful to read about. I'm not brave enough to downhill ski. Interesting dot art and sewing you've been doing as well. I'm sure your yard is always entertaining with the dogs and the birds. Those turkeys are smart!
    I love the scenery where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy your winter scenery so much...Thank you for sharing it with us. It is truly amazing. God's masterpieces for sure!!! Love that you enjoy winter like you do...that helps to get through the long days and nights. We are having early spring here in Florida...flowers are blooming and the days are already warmer than I'd like them to be. But we are thankful for the beauty that is ours as well. However, I think I could enjoy your area very much...at least it looks wonderful in pictures! I know the reality of the cold would definitely wake me up really quick! Love the turkeys...they are definitely clever!! Have a blessed day... and thank you for this lovely way to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I so enjoyed this post, Marilyn. I like winter too but mostly when we have snow which is not often enough for me. Your photos of the surrounding scenery are stunning...and that sunset...amazing!! There is nothing like comfort food and your soup and biscuits look fabulous! I have had a hankering for some cornbread lately so I think I will make some to accompany a pot of turkey chili this weekend....cold and rainy here! Blessings to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are always stunning and can even make a 'winter-hater' like me think that winter is pretty lol! In fact, probably the only thing I like about winter is making lots and lots of different soups . . . your comfort food looks very yummy and there are those cast iron skillet biscuits! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Perspective is everything and it is a matter of choice how we view our reality. I like how you look at your’s.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my, I had typed out this long-winded comment, and our internet went out right when I tried to publish it! I don't have the energy to type it all again, but suffice to say that I SO enjoyed catching up with you here tonight. It was just a joy to see all that has been going on in your life. May the Lord's richest blessings be yours, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Marilyn you live in the most glorious place. I know that I must say that in almost every comment I leave, but it's true. You capture your surroundings so well, it's amazing. And I adore your prayer journals, what a lovely idea. I think it's great that you have such a supportive group of women who share your faith. That's not always easy to come by. Now, I am off to check out the biscuit post. I need some of those for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely pics (glad ur newer computer makes it easier for u to post!:)
    The Lord has brought out in you a nice display of a 'women who makes a "Home" welcoming for her family and friends!" Conveys the Love of Lord and His overseeing Spirit!
    'And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, .." hugs :)
    {Still having a prob w/ comment section - just to post this comment had to delete hist and cache again .. idk ?}

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini