Delightful March Greens

Sunday, March 21, 2021

 

This is such an exciting time of year.  Seeds that were started in my greenhouse
are now sprouting, and growing quite happily!  

You may have noticed that I don't use the black seed pots.  I started using plastic containers (spinach, strawberry, salad containers, etc) several years ago, and have had great success planting like this.  I start the seeds first in seedling soil, and then once they grow two strong leaves, I transplant into Black Gold organic soil. What you see in this picture are my sunflowers transplanted into the Black Gold soil.  

The chickens had a scare this past week.  Something attacked one of my hens, and my rooster, Pepper.  When we first saw the feathers, we thought for sure he couldn't have survived the attack, but he did! We believe either the hawk or a stray dog may have attacked them, but we really don't know. We never saw or heard a thing. I'm just thankful that they are both doing ok! 

Here is Pepper, without his feathers.  He looks quite forlorn! But, he is alive, and for that I am thankful. His feathers should grow back. 

Here is my hen with the gash under her wing.  She has recovered and healed almost completely as well. I'm so thankful! 


Earlier this month, we enjoyed corn beef brisket soup...
it was so delicious, always a treat to enjoy in March! 


Something new I tried recently was a 5-minute chocolate microwave cake.  It really tastes more like a brownie, with the rich ganache frosting and pecans.  If you'd like to try to make it yourself, here is the video on youtube that shows you how to make it. It really does cook in 5 minutes and is delicious! If you have company arriving and need a dessert, this definitely will please :) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2OpqAe-cEY&t=18s


A couple loaves of my sourdough bread, I enjoy baking these loaves once a week. If you are interested in the recipe I use, let me know. It is such an easy recipe, and produces amazing bread every time :) 

Springtime chores!  Burning brush that has come down during the winter.  It was a beautiful spring day with bright sunshine, and burning the brush was a great way to enjoy the gorgeous day! 



My chickens enjoyed helping me in the garden this week.  Early in spring, and late in fall, I do let the chickens in to help do some early spring cleanup.

My brother saw this hoodie, and thought it had my name on it, and sent it to me.
What a sweet surprise in the mail to receive this! 

Our daughter and her husband celebrated birthdays within just a few days of each other, so his family held a birthday party for both of them. It was so much fun! And as you can see all three of my kids are in this picture.  Ryan made them a coat rack for their home. We joked at the party that they will never celebrate birthdays alone again... {smiles} They did get a lot of really nice gifts for both their home, and themselves. It was a wonderful evening. 

Zak's family's home sits on a hill and overlooks the mountains.  I enjoyed the evening's sunset immensely.  Whenever I see the beauty from the sun's radiance ending the evening, it makes me breathe a deep sigh of joy... because I know the Master Painter's handiwork in the skies was for our bedtime delight. How Great is our God! 


Now the sun is coming up in the mornings right through my living room windows, and splashing on the world, as well as my heart as I have my morning devotions.  Such joy in my heart to begin the day with both sunshine, and His Word in my heart. 


Our dear Mister Simba taking his nap in my chair.  It always amazes me how cats have perfected the art of complete and total relaxation in their sleep! 


With the season of Spring being announced as here, Winter has declared... "not so quick young lady", and we are expected to get several inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.  We, of course, know that this is always the case, and also know that it will melt very quickly.  I have been enjoying the sunshine we've had lately, getting spring chores done, and working in the garden.  The seasons pass quickly, and we certainly have looked forward to spring coming this year, and all the blooms and delights that it holds for us.  

Enjoy the beauty that Spring brings, look for it in the sweet and simple places.  No matter how dark and difficult the world seems around us, we must always remember that the Lord Jesus reigns over this world, and the tactics of the enemy will only serve as a stepping stone to mighty miracles that only He can perform. Keep your hope and your heart set on Christ, He has a plan, and purpose for your life.  

I want to share Psalms 37 with you, as it has become a precious chapter to me recently.  If you are fretting because of evil-doers, this chapter gives us insight into how it will all end. May the blessings of the Lord be rich in each of your lives today :) 

Fret not thyself because of evildoers, 

neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.

 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

 Trust in the Lord, and do good; 

so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

 Delight thyself also in the Lord: 

and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

 Commit thy way unto the Lord; 

trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. 

 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him:

 fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, 

because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Psalms 37:1-7







36 comments

  1. Hello Marilyn. I'm having difficulty sleeping tonight and was glad to see your post when I checked. What a gorgeous view Zak's parents have. That sunset is definitely a beautiful example of the Lord's handiwork.
    It's been flurrying here all afternoon and evening, but not sticking to the roads...yet. I know it won't last long at all and it's to be expected. I hope it gets winter out of it's system though, because I'm leaving for the midwest two weeks from tomorrow. Back to the land of high corn growing!
    Take care and thank you for the Psalm. I just read that same one to Dennis last week as we were studying. It's so comforting to know that no matter the state of the world, Jesus is there and the Lord is in complete control.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you were blessed by my post, sweet friend! Yes, Zak's parents have a wonderful view overlooking the mountains, truly magnificent! The snowy weather has been quite something, for sure, but thankfully it has melted away. I thought that Psalm 37 was so fitting for the time we are in, when what is happening makes no sense. However, we know the Lord has a plan. Praying for you both in your time of transition. Many blessings!

      Delete
  2. Your spring energy and project energize me too. The shirt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been spending many delightful hours in the garden recently wearing that hoodie, it is perfect for outdoor chores :)

      Delete
  3. I was afraid you were going to show that you had cooked chicken! But that bread does look so good and I would love to have the recipe! Have you ever posted it? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had quite a bit of interest in the recipe, so I am going to do a post soon on how to make homemade sourdough bread, it is wonderful :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, Marilyn, that hoodie was made just for you! Glad your chickens survived the attack, and that spring is right around the corner. It's busting out all over here in Georgia, and I so love this season of hope and new life.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is such an exciting season! I have really been enjoying the hoodie on these windy spring days as I work in the garden. Glad that you are enjoying springtime in Georgia too!

      Delete
  5. Your post is a sweet breath of fresh spring air. Starting each morning in the Word is the best way I know to get started on a day . . . it reminds us of our Savior's love and comfort and how we can get through this life as long as we cling to Him.
    I noticed the view behind the kids in their birthday photo and then you show us the next photo . . . how very beautiful. Sorry to hear about your chicken and rooster, but happy that they are alright. He certainly is a pretty rooster, so many gorgeous colors in his feathers.
    wishing you a lovely day. God bless you and your family.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, spending time with the Lord in the morning is the best way to start the day! And, indeed Zak's parents have a gorgeous view, I was just in love with it! It was very upsetting that my hen and rooster were attacked, thankfully they are both doing really well. Wishing you many blessings, and prayers for the comforting hand of the Lord to be with you in the hours of your grieving process. Much love to you dear friend!

      Delete
  6. BOM DIA JESUS... BOM DIA MÃE MARIA SANTÍSSIMA... BOM DIA ESPÍRITO SANTO... BOM DIA A TODOS NÓS!!! TENHAMOS UM OLHAR DE MISERICÓRDIA.🙏🌹♥️🇧🇷🕊️🕯️📿🏠🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even here in the desert the weather is suddenly turning cold, down to 32 tonight for a low, they say. I was going to burn up leaves and twigs today too, and last year's garden which I cleared up yesterday in 82 degrees, but the wind has started up again. I am glad your rooster Pepper and the hen are recovering from the attack. I have heard raccoons will attack them, too. Thank you for sharing the 5-minute cake (/brownie) recipe! Always on the lookout for good recipes. I hope you will post your sourdough recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and lovely visit! My hen and rooster are recovering well, and we think it may be a stray dog visiting our yard. I think you will enjoy the easy microwave cake recipe, I shared it with my bible study ladies, and they loved it. I plan to share my sourdough recipe soon in a blog post :) Many blessings!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post! The new spring growth is refreshing and Scripture is always a blessing. You mentioned the burning of brush. Oh, how i enjoyed doing that when we lived in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That hoodie is perfect for you! I'm glad your hen and rooster are okay even if they did suffer some damage. Mister Simba looks very comfy curled up like he is.
    Now I'm off to check out that 5 minute cake. Thanks for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Psalm 37 on speed dial. It has helped me keep my courage up. So many delights you had to share. How sad for your hen and rooster to suffer an attack...glad they survived. It must be very hard to protect them. Looks as if spring is springing right along in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Psalm. Thank you for sharing it.
    Hooray for Spring!
    I'm so glad the rooster is ok. That didn't look good.
    I would love the recipe for that corn beef soup. Something different and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent verses for the times we live in. My daughter once saw a hawk grab a hen. She grabbed a rock and threw it at the hawk. She hit him right in the head and he flew off and left our hen alone!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...glad the chickens survived whatever attacked them. Do you have coyotes in your area? That 5 minute cake looks awesome. I like cooking in the microwave. Love the photo of your children,. Family is always a precious thing. And, me being a cat lover, I smiled at Mr. Simba.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marilyn, your corned beef brisket looks delicious, and it sure would be good right now with the cold weather we're having up here. And that chocolate cake with pecan frosting looks Yummy. You bake sourdough bread once a week? - that is wonderful! I know the time and effort that goes into this, as my son-in-law bakes it once a week too. But there's nothing like homemade bread. I was told that we can burn all the debris up here and they have a day for doing that. But with all the fires that happen in California, I had someone pick all the piles up and haul them away. But it's a good feeling to be outside and do yard work and pull weeds and rake and clean, isn't it? This is a beautiful picture of your three kids. Your daughter has a sweet and warm smile. The coat rack that your son made is a special gift. Thank you for sharing the Psalm verse today, Marilyn. Happy Easter to you and your family. I am learning many things in the mountains, and I admire this way of living that you've done for so many years. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marilyn, hi! After a long, gray winter / year, I am craving green, fresh, outdoors, beauty, nature. You always take me there. What a gift, what an invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, I want some of that delicious looking soup! I love soups all year round. I am surely ready for some SPRING weather here in Florida. It's been crazy weather lately. But, today is beautiful and even made me feel I had a pep in my step. LOL! Wanted to thank you for your precious and kinds words to me on the blog. You have no clue how you ministered to me. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad your rooster and hen are doing fine. Happy Birthday to your daughter and son-in-law. Your green sprouts look promising.
    HAPPY SPRING
    HAPPY EASTER
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh...how wonderful to have all your kids together to celebrate a birthday. Fun coat rack! Glad your rooster and hen survived. We've been having some cougar attacks on calves around the corner from us. Life in the country...
    I've got a corned beef in the fridge maybe I'll do soup with it. Yours looks delicious. Happy Spring to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Marilyn! So nice to meet you! Your blog is lovely!! I love everything about this post...especially your sourdough bread! YUM! Happy Spring to you! I hope you didn't get too much snow! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your poor chicken and rooster! So scary! I'm glad they survived.

    Isn't it glorious when the sun shines through in the morning? Plus! It's staying lighter at night now! Makes me want to get outside too. Dig in the dirt and plant some flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    I am so happy your hen and rooster survived. We had a stray dog in our yard the other day. It always makes me nervous. We once had a stray dog come in and kill our boys pet rabbit, Frodo. The dog actually went into the rabbit hutch, how on earth it all happened I will never know.

    I always enjoy your posts. Thank you and Happy Spring! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. Happy Birthday to your loved ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet friend! It was so wonderful to visit with you this evening. I needed to be reminded of this Psalm. My heart has been heavy, and I am so weary of enemy attacks. They are trying to wear down the saints and wear out our patience. May God give us all the spiritual stamina we need to stand against the wiles of the devil and keep our eyes on Jesus - not an easy feat in these dark days. I pinned your beautiful picture of the sun streaming through your living room window - I have a board that has those kinds of pictures, as I am always reminded of my dear Mom when I see sun streaming in like that. God bless you and keep you and your loved ones always in His care. Sending love and hugs your way this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It’s always such a pleasure to visit you, Marilyn. I know you’re happy about your hen is okay, and Your new sweatshirt is perfect for you. Your soup looked so tasty, along with your bread (I’ve been making sourdough for 18 years), and that brownie (I must check out)! Of course you outdoor photos always make me take in a deep breath because of their beauty. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor hen and rooster! It must have been very traumatic for them. I always enjoy your photos and lovely recipes. I hope you will share the sour dough bread recipe. I love the psalms! As Christians, what would we do without them to refer to! Psalm 91 is my favorite, at least one of them!💖

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always, I love your beautiful homespun blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi dear friend Marilyn! What a beautiful post (as usual!). Glad the chickies are OK. I had chickens once years ago, and one morning went out to the coupe and every single one was gone! Not even any feathers left! We had about 10. Not sure what got them but I think coyotes. That was so sad. The sweatshirt is so perfect for you too! Made me smile! I went and watched the video for the microwave cake and have printed it out. Will attempt to make it gluten free and see what happens. Sometimes the gluten free flours don't cook well in the microwave, though I HAVE made some gluten free mug cakes that were mighty good! My hubby has had sour dough starts off and on since I've known him, but his sour dough breads just never came out very good. I'll be looking forward to your recipe! He usually used it for sourdough pancakes.. trying to duplicate the ones his grandmother made, but he said he could never quite get it right. He even did some gluten free sourdough starter which was pretty good, but bread never did come out well.. was always as hard as a rock! We are having gorgeous spring like weather here, hit 74 yesterday, so I'm itching to plant flowers.. but nights are still in the 20's sometimes, so have to wait another month or so. I may plant some pansies as they are pretty hardy! I need to get my hands in the dirt (with gloves on of course)!!! Have a beautiful Sunday.. the scripture quote was so perfect for our times right now. Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great hoodie it's perfect for you!
    Sorry to read about your hen and rooster, but pleased they are ok.
    Thank you for sharing the Psalm.

    Enjoy the Easter weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. i can see how exquisite will look your sunflowers once they grow dear Marilyn !

    i am really sorry for dreadful attack your chickens experienced ,i am familiar with such attacks as i grew up in a village and my mom had lots of chicken who were attacked by foxes sometimes during nights .i am glad they both are recovering speedily by the grace of Lord!
    Happy Birthday to sweet couple ,,your children are lovely and blessed to have such wise and sweet mom and mother in law .
    i am happy despite of light snow spring is flourishing in to your area quickly .
    food is remarkable !
    more peace,health and joy to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini