May Blooms, May Days and More!

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Spring has disappeared here in our neck of the woods!  Summer has gobbled up Spring and is visiting us with the most decadent blooms and weather! We went from flannel jackets, hats, and gloves one day to summer attire the next! Like most people I've talked to - the weather all around has been very strange this year - no gentle changes from one season to another, but abrupt, rough, and hurried changes! We went from having temps in the 30s and 40s to the 80s almost the next day, and it's been hot ever since.  Some of my springtime bloomers are confused and unsure of what to do. I lost a couple of my roses over the winter, my lavender even took a hit - it was just a rough winter! So, I have been working to clean up my beds. Springtime is full of lots of work - but when the blooms come - oh how I rejoice! 



We've had an incredible abundance of dandelions this year.  One of the ways I like to enjoy dandelions is to make dandelion tea.  It's very easy! 

Dandelion Tea
1 quart jar dandelion flower heads
2 black tea bags
3 cups boiling water, separated
sugar of choice to taste

Rinse the dandelion flower heads with cool water, place in a bowl.  Pour 1 cup boiling water over  the dandelions and let sit for 10 minutes.  Add remaining 2 cups boiling water to the 2 tea bags, and let steep for 5 minutes, stir in sugar of choice (I added 1/4 cup stevia). Pour tea concentrate into 1 gallon jar, and mix in the dandelions water mixture, stir gently. Fill gallon jar with water to the top. Cover jar and place in refrigerator for a couple hours. Remove dandelions, and serve tea over ice! 




I enjoyed my dandelion tea out in my She Shed! 


Recently, most of you know I've been eating less sugar and while not completely keto, I am avoiding all processed foods and sugars.  I made this chicken crust pizza recently, and it was amazing! Had wonderful flavor, and you really didn't miss the bread at all! 



Here is the link to recipe I used.
Chicken Crust Pizza

I used a rotisserie chicken from Costco, made my own marinara sauce, and added fresh veggies and mozzarella cheese. It was truly a delicious and satisfying meal! 


Potatoes have been planted! Before I plant my seed potatoes I always let them sit in the sun for about 1 day, it prevents them from rotting when they go into the ground. 



My porch needed a bit of refreshing after winter, so I spent a day washing, rearranging, and cleaning the front porch. You can see some of the many flower plates that I have made through the years. 



I have many little solar lights and LED candles on timers that turn on in the evening, which makes the porch a delightful spot to be all day long! 


Tulips blooming in the Springtime - oh how they make my heart sing! 


The kids treated me on Mother's Day to a lovely meal at a local Greek restaurant. Dan was able to spend Mother's Day with his mother this year, and we sure missed him but were thankful he could spend this day with his mother. She is in a nursing home and has many health struggles. 



A neighbor's tulips  - such a gorgeous display! She has a beautiful brick flower bed that moles/voles can't dig into, so I enjoy her tulips. I can't plant my tulips in the ground because of the problem we have with the underground diggers.  So it is always a delight to see her tulips in bloom! 

 A neighbor groomed Riley for us - doesn't she look so pretty! I care for her animals when they are out of town, and she grooms Riley for me.  I love our neighborhood, and how our neighbors can be a blessing to each other! 



I made a rhubarb-strawberry crumble last week -oh it was delicious! I added a few black cherries and some tapioca to the rhubarb and strawberries, and it was almost like eating pie, so good! I didn't use a recipe - just a little bit of this n that! It was sugar-free (I used stevia). 


This is one of our underground diggers - a ground squirrel.
Even with dogs and cats around, they are quite brazen! 


Well... it is quite possible that these two are just a bit lazy on the job, and not really earning their fair share around the place, to help keep the underground critters at bay {smiles}! 


Lilac blooms - heaven's scent bottled up in these gorgeous blooms! 


Rhododendron blooms - so beautiful! 


This rainbow appeared over the garden a couple of days ago, how beautiful it was for me to see God's promise once again spread out perfectly over my garden! 



A collection in my "She Shed" of teacups, teapots, and china.
I can hardly resist picking up beautiful pieces at thrift stores! 


I had a fun day last week with my stamping friends, and we made these beautiful cards together - always a fun time to stamp and create with other ladies :) 



Lilac blooms - oh how I love them! Isn't the little boot jar adorable! It belongs to my daughter-in-law. 

Such an incredible delight to be able to enjoy these blooms each Spring! 


My neighbor brought over a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie - oh my, it was so good!  She was also sporting a T-shirt that she found, it says: "Normal isn't coming back - JESUS is!"  I love that we can have that hope in Jesus! 


Iris in bloom - they are blooming magnificently this year! 


\




We took a quad ride up into the mountains - one of our favorite things to do! It was so nice, a beautiful day - not too dusty, and lots of wildflowers blooming! 



May is such a busy month as all my seedlings go into the ground after being cared for in my greenhouse - many of them since March. It is a great feeling to know that everything is in the ground and where it needs to be! 


I've been working on this post for several days now - and here it is the end of MAY! Where oh where do the days run off to? I hope you've enjoyed this rather rambling post of bits and pieces of my May days here in North Idaho. I'd like to leave your hearts encouraged with this beautiful video done by my friend Cheryl Smith. You can visit her blog HERE to read more of her encouraging words about the days we live in, and the hope we have in Jesus. 




I hope you enjoy her video, and I pray that all of you know how much I love and appreciate each one of you! 

20 comments

  1. Such beautiful flowers!!!! And that rainbow is stunning!
    Wow! I remember when a recent post still showed snow on the ground. It's amazing how fast the temperature changed!!! Glad you got your garden going and hope it produces well. :)
    That chicken pizza looks so delicious!
    I've been sad for a while so your post helped to cheer me up. Yes! I love listening to Cheryl's sweet voice; love that song she sang!
    God bless you, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are lovely. Our white and red roses have bloomed. The Geraniums are thriving., since they like the hot weather. We have one Pansy left since they do not do well in the warmer weather. The weather here in new York has been cool but it is now starting warm up a bit. Enjoy your lovely flowers.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had the same weather. The snow just kept coming, and then all of a sudden, it's hot!
    We have the same issues with moles and ground squirrels. Those ground squirrels are just so cute though, but they sure can mess things up.
    Your photos are gorgeous - that rainbow is glorious! Glad you have a nice Mothers Day.
    I love your neighbors t-shirt saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love video of Cheryl. I always love the things she shares, whether it be her writings, her singing, etc. Your flowers are all lovely but I really like the rhododendrons. I haven't seen any so beautiful since we left Washington. And that rainbow! Oh my goodness. It's so perfectly beautiful. Everything was gorgeous in your post today. Full of hope and love and springtime and family and Jesus. Down to your neighbors shirt! Thank you my dear friend. We're headed west in June, leaving on Father's Day. First stop the Black Hills. Next is Montana to visit our son and grandkids and finally, your neck of the woods! We'll have two whole weeks there and I'm so looking forward to it.
    Have a lovely week.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. There has never been any kind of human normal! Always just God and Jesus normal for those smart enough to pay attention. And the attention is in the detail, such as those glorious tulips and lilacs. I don't plant tulips, not because of underground problems, but above ground. The deer and squirrels think they are candy and so do the rabbits, lol. Boy Kitty and Girl Kitty are doing just what they were designed for, sleeping in comfort. Too many outdoor critters for them to catch anyways. We have had such a wet and cold spring, but this week, only thank goodness, it is going to hot in the high 80's and low 90's. And the rain has completely stopped with none for the past 2 weeks and none in the foreseeable future. I planted a whopping 2 potato eyes, in bags, on the patio. I do get a few home grown potatoes every year. That is all the veggies I even try here any more. Deer eat my tomatoes and the ground hogs show up and nibble too. I am glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day treat. Your blog is a treat. Have a wonderful month of June. Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! What a wonderful post filled with brightness and beauty and hope!!! And that pie!!! Happy summer, my friend. Thank you for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhubarb is not a plant native to the south, but when we visited family up north, it was such a treat to have a rhubarb pie. I miss it!
    Your photos are lovely, Marilyn, as always, and I'm cheering you on for a prosperous and plentiful garden this year.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had summer for a few days but it’s going to be cold and wet for a week. We need it because nearby Nova Scotia is on fire.

    It looks like summer where you are. So beautiful, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, it is the same here, went from spring to summer in just a couple days, I am hoping it gets back to normal temps soon. Such lovely blooming flowers you have. Nice you enjoyed a day out with the kids on Mother's day. Your porch looks nice and big and pretty with the lights on, I too have a few that I light that I love the glow they give in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny...I just made a chicken crust pizza, too. I'd never even heard of it before, but it was delicious and what a nice change when you're trying to cut back on carbs. Love the dandelion tea, too. Never had it either, but it looks yummy and we have a lot of them around here! May as well put then to good use!! Enjoy that summer weather...it flies by too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!! You have a very nice garden area, its so good to see spring/summer has arrived in your area! How long is your warmer months up north? We are up and down in the spring ~ last of April and first of May we start staying warm..we don't start to cool down until mid October. KY is as north as I would want to live...Not a fan of long winters. Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing all your flowers and pretty stuff. Our weather has been much the same, mostly cold and suddenly it’s hot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Marilyn! I love your beautiful spring flowers. Our weather started out summer-like with monsoons but then normalized for the season. I have to try that chicken pizza you posted; looks like a winner. And then to scroll down and catch Cheryl on your website just made my day!!!! I send love and hugs to you, friend. May God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marilyn, I always love to see your beautiful garden! We've had the most amazing weather. Very mild all year, and just beautiful. I'm hoping we get some heat this summer so we can swim, though! Thank you for sharing the chicken pizza crust recipe! I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ps.....it is a gift when we see a rainbow, so I want to thank you for the rainbow picture on your post today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. The weather this year has certainly been unpredictable! Love all your pictures as usual. Such a pretty place you live! The rainbow picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear, sweet friend! I have been trying to get here for days to finish reading your beautiful post. You bless me so much, and I am so very grateful for your precious, kind words and for sharing my song. It meant the world to me. I love and appreciate you dearly and so enjoyed every part of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am woefully behind in visiting blogs. Better late than never as they say. Love the rainbow above your garden. Thanks for sharing the dandelion tea recipe. That t-shirt message is so good! Looks like a sweet happy group out for a Greek meal. It's always good to enjoy garlic in a group. :) Hope June is going well on your mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely post, a delight to see all of your photographs.
    I especially like the rainbow over your garden.

    Wishing you a happy month of June.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini