Smoky skies and broken hearts have been our reality here ever since Saturday, August 1, when three wildfires roared through the heart of Spokane and brought such unimaginable destruction. I've spent a lot of time in my garden praying for those who have suffered so much and have such a long road ahead of them. Our writing group adopted a family who lost their home and put together a package filled with gifts and cash for this family. We continue to help as many as we can through prayers and donations to organizations on the ground helping these people rebuild their lives from the ashes.
Blooms in the garden brighten the smoky days.
Harvest time always means a bountiful amount of zucchini, and frying it is our favorite way to enjoy it!
Using a bit of olive oil over medium heat, fry thinly sliced zucchini that has been soaked in an egg wash and dipped in cornmeal. Fry until golden brown and tender. Salt lightly and enjoy!
A picture at midday of the smoke in the skies...
We are making progress on the back porch roof! This roof will run the length of the back of our home. The plywood has been installed, and once the tin is delivered this week, it will be finished and complete. We will level the ground, place thick weed paper, and then gravel. I can't wait for it all to be complete :) But for now, we are so excited to have the plywood on as it shields our home from the heat of the afternoon sun.
During a very smoky day, this is a picture of our home now, with the roof on. It was very dark and smoky outside, but you can see how much shade this roof will provide us.
Baby Clara making her efforts to crawl with her parents watching in delight - oh, our babies bring us so much joy!
A bouquet from my garden...
Some time ago, I did an interview with a podcaster, and it has now aired. This was my very first live interview/podcast, and I was nervous at first, but Mitzi was so easy to talk to, and we both agreed that we could've talked for a lot longer!
If you want to find out more about Mitzi (and maybe even have a conversation with her yourself), you can visit her here: MitziThinkInc. She is open to talking with you about your blog, your book, your insights - whatever you would like to talk about. I highly recommend the experience :)
If you'd like to watch the interview/podcast, you can watch it here:
The smoke and fires are so sad. We just had a lightning strike an old church in our area and it burned down. So tragic... Your porch looks great! I like that picture of baby Clara. Those babies do bring us such joy!
Oh that is just so sad, Mari to hear about the church burning down! Oh yes, our grandbabies bring us oh so much joy! Love them dearly! I love seeing all the things you are doing with your grands - very inspirational!!! Blessings to you!
We are having so much fun with the grandbabies! It has been a difficult summer indeed with the fires. Just heartbreaking!!!! Blessings to you dear friend!
I'm praying for all those in your area affected by the smoke from the horrendous wildfires, Marilyn. It's almost bedtime here for me in Georgia, so I will listen to your podcast tomorrow. How exciting! Baby Clara is such a joy to see as she grows. Seeing the little ones always fills me with such joy! Blessings!
Thank you for listening to the podcast, it was a very fun one to do. Mitzi is a lot of fun to talk to. We are enjoying the grandbabies so very much! Blessings to you dear friend!
Hello beautiful friend. It is so sad about all the fires. Sigh. :( I am on the other hand glad that you have joys you shared as well. The flowers are beautiful in the pots. It is always so exciting to see babies reach milestones. Aren't they pressure. I will for sure take a listen to the podcast when I have a moment. Hugs!!!
I was so glad to read that they have finally got control of the Spokane fires and people are able to go back home. Our old home was not burned which, although it's no longer ours, was a relief. Lots of wonderful memories were made there. However we do have several friends who have lost virtually everything. It's very sad. We are on our way to Spokane next Wednesday for a month-long visit. We're praying for a relief from the smoke-filled skies soon. It's making so many people ill. I'll be sure to watch the video of the interview soon. Blessings and hugs, Betsy
So thankful your home survived the oppressive fires, Betsy, even though it is no longer yours. The fires were so horrible! We are praying some of these storms that they say are coming will bring relief from the smoke, and no more fires. I hope you will have a wonderful visit when you come! I'm so sorry for your friends who have lost everything! So heartbreaking! Blessings for you, dear friend!
Oh those fires. They really are terrible. As I mentioned before, we've even had some events shut down here in NY from them, but only for a few days. I can't imagine what it must be like to live near them, to endure that smoke for weeks, to lose a home or to be fighting them. My thoughts are with everyone affected. I love that you are still able to find joy in your summer, despite that, in your grandbabies, your garden and your podcast! Off to listen to it now!! Please take care!
I'm so sorry for all the fires you have had as well as us. It has been terrible for so many this year! My grandbabies are so precious, love them dearly! Thank you for listening to the podcast! Blessings to you, dear friend!
I am praying those fires do not come near you and so sorry to hear of the awful devastation in other areas. Oh, I can't wait to watch your interview! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, dear friend! Sending lots of love and hugs your way today!
Praying for so many and for the smoke to go away. So very sad. Your gardens always look so amazing. Love the fresh bouquets. Baby Clare starting to crawl is wonderful. My, how they grow up so fast. Sending prayers and hugs.
So many smoky days in a row. Our hearts and prayers are with all those who have lost the stability of daily life in their own homes. I can't imagine the loss. May God comfort and sustain. That overhang roof is such a blessing for the comfort of your home. A great addition. My mouth is literally watering looking at that fried zucchini! Enjoy your harvest!
It has been so sad to see how many fires, floods, earthquakes, and storms have had people losing their loved ones and homes, I don't know if we hear about them all now or if there are just a lot more than I ever remember there being. Praying for them every day. Your roof is coming along very well and it does look like it will give your home a lot of good shade.
It's terribly sad about the fires! Your photos are lovely, and I also love your blog header! So beautiful! Praying for all those affected by the fires and smoke, both human and animal.
Oh, my heart just breaks for Spokane. Looking out at skies that heavy with smoke must be so surreal and terrifying, but the way your writing group stepped up to adopt that family is just beautiful. That’s what community is all about when everything feels like it's turning to ash. And yet, life has this stubborn, beautiful way of keeping on, doesn't it? Between the smoke and the heartache, you've got zucchini frying up, a new porch roof keeping the brutal heat off, and little Clara trying her best to crawl. Those little pockets of light, babies, garden bouquets, simple home projects must feel like absolute lifesavers when the air outside is so heavy. Also, congratulations on the podcast with Mitzi! I know you were nervous stepping into a first live one, but it’s so wonderful that you two clicked right away. Praying for everyone out there trying to pick up the pieces. Hang in there.
The fried zucchini looks amazing, I have to give it a try. Hope you are all well and safe and enjoying these last days of summer in your gorgeous garden. Amalia xo
dear Marilyn! i am sorry for how wild fires are causing suffering in your part of land ! my heartfelt prayers for all friends who are dealing with such painful situation 🙏🥺 your fried zucchini looks so tempting 👍 i think i will try it in the season :) loved your cutest baby Clara ❤️ yes babies are pure delight in life of parents 🥹 your flowers also made my days ❤️ your interview in podcost is great .i found it very pleasant surprise :))) you look lovely ,honest and open :) i felt so happy that God gave you and your precious family to live life of dreams in surroundings that you loved most 🙏
Hi Marilyn.... I meant to comment sooner! Time just got away from me! I hope your smokey days have finally cleared up. So many fires were burning around the time you posted this.. I was so UPSET and worried and lost sleep over it! The Spokane arae fires must be contained now as I don't even see them listed on the "Watch Duty" App on my phone. I'm so thankful, but so sad that so many homes were burned up. We had another huge fire pretty close to Mt. Hood and it burned alot of the Mt. Hood forest area to the east, which makes me very very sad. That area is so close to my heart, as I spent my childhood years going to the area just west of Mt. Hood, camping and picnicing. Thankfully, that area to the west did not burn. Oh it's all so sad. I love your gardens and flowers and your bountiful harvest that is happening now for you. My garden didn't do so well, nor my flowers. It has been so hot here and not much rain and even though I watered alot, nothing did very well. I bet you are super excited about your long porch. By now, it's probably done! Please post pictures! I will definitely go watch that podcast! Have a great week! xoxoxo Marilyn @ Pink Paper Cottage (my comment shows now as my google email and though I've tried, I can't get my pinkpapercottage URL to come back!).
Dear Marilyn, I'm trusting that you are all safe and well, protected from the smoke and any harmful weather. May God give you peace as you make your way through these challenging days.
Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!
Please click here to visit my exciting NEW Website!
Author Profile
I am an avid hobby photographer living in North Idaho who shares her photography and inspirational writings on my blog
Through Love's Eyes
This inspirational book was written by me with photography of the four seasons of North Idaho. You can purchase my book here! I appreciate your support!
MTS YouTube Channel
Worship Medley with North Idaho Images
Follow By Email
Sign up with your email address to receive the latest updates straight in your inbox.
The smoke and fires are so sad. We just had a lightning strike an old church in our area and it burned down. So tragic...
ReplyDeleteYour porch looks great!
I like that picture of baby Clara. Those babies do bring us such joy!
Oh that is just so sad, Mari to hear about the church burning down! Oh yes, our grandbabies bring us oh so much joy! Love them dearly! I love seeing all the things you are doing with your grands - very inspirational!!! Blessings to you!
DeletePraying for all ... what a difficult summer of fires.
ReplyDeleteI like your porch.
High Fives to baby Clara, she is on the move.
We are having so much fun with the grandbabies! It has been a difficult summer indeed with the fires. Just heartbreaking!!!! Blessings to you dear friend!
DeleteI'm praying for all those in your area affected by the smoke from the horrendous wildfires, Marilyn. It's almost bedtime here for me in Georgia, so I will listen to your podcast tomorrow. How exciting! Baby Clara is such a joy to see as she grows. Seeing the little ones always fills me with such joy! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThank you for listening to the podcast, it was a very fun one to do. Mitzi is a lot of fun to talk to. We are enjoying the grandbabies so very much! Blessings to you dear friend!
DeleteHello beautiful friend. It is so sad about all the fires. Sigh. :(
ReplyDeleteI am on the other hand glad that you have joys you shared as well. The flowers are beautiful in the pots. It is always so exciting to see babies reach milestones. Aren't they pressure. I will for sure take a listen to the podcast when I have a moment. Hugs!!!
I am enjoying the beauty in the garden, August is full of beautiful things! Blessings to you dear friend!
DeleteI was so glad to read that they have finally got control of the Spokane fires and people are able to go back home. Our old home was not burned which, although it's no longer ours, was a relief. Lots of wonderful memories were made there. However we do have several friends who have lost virtually everything. It's very sad. We are on our way to Spokane next Wednesday for a month-long visit. We're praying for a relief from the smoke-filled skies soon. It's making so many people ill.
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to watch the video of the interview soon.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
So thankful your home survived the oppressive fires, Betsy, even though it is no longer yours. The fires were so horrible! We are praying some of these storms that they say are coming will bring relief from the smoke, and no more fires. I hope you will have a wonderful visit when you come! I'm so sorry for your friends who have lost everything! So heartbreaking! Blessings for you, dear friend!
DeleteOh those fires. They really are terrible. As I mentioned before, we've even had some events shut down here in NY from them, but only for a few days. I can't imagine what it must be like to live near them, to endure that smoke for weeks, to lose a home or to be fighting them. My thoughts are with everyone affected. I love that you are still able to find joy in your summer, despite that, in your grandbabies, your garden and your podcast! Off to listen to it now!! Please take care!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for all the fires you have had as well as us. It has been terrible for so many this year! My grandbabies are so precious, love them dearly! Thank you for listening to the podcast! Blessings to you, dear friend!
DeleteI am praying those fires do not come near you and so sorry to hear of the awful devastation in other areas. Oh, I can't wait to watch your interview! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, dear friend! Sending lots of love and hugs your way today!
ReplyDeletePraying for so many and for the smoke to go away. So very sad. Your gardens always look so amazing. Love the fresh bouquets. Baby Clare starting to crawl is wonderful. My, how they grow up so fast. Sending prayers and hugs.
ReplyDeleteSo many smoky days in a row. Our hearts and prayers are with all those who have lost the stability of daily life in their own homes. I can't imagine the loss. May God comfort and sustain. That overhang roof is such a blessing for the comfort of your home. A great addition. My mouth is literally watering looking at that fried zucchini! Enjoy your harvest!
ReplyDeleteIt has been so sad to see how many fires, floods, earthquakes, and storms have had people losing their loved ones and homes, I don't know if we hear about them all now or if there are just a lot more than I ever remember there being. Praying for them every day.
ReplyDeleteYour roof is coming along very well and it does look like it will give your home a lot of good shade.
It's terribly sad about the fires! Your photos are lovely, and I also love your blog header! So beautiful! Praying for all those affected by the fires and smoke, both human and animal.
ReplyDeleteOh, my heart just breaks for Spokane. Looking out at skies that heavy with smoke must be so surreal and terrifying, but the way your writing group stepped up to adopt that family is just beautiful. That’s what community is all about when everything feels like it's turning to ash. And yet, life has this stubborn, beautiful way of keeping on, doesn't it? Between the smoke and the heartache, you've got zucchini frying up, a new porch roof keeping the brutal heat off, and little Clara trying her best to crawl. Those little pockets of light, babies, garden bouquets, simple home projects must feel like absolute lifesavers when the air outside is so heavy. Also, congratulations on the podcast with Mitzi! I know you were nervous stepping into a first live one, but it’s so wonderful that you two clicked right away. Praying for everyone out there trying to pick up the pieces. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteThe fried zucchini looks amazing, I have to give it a try. Hope you are all well and safe and enjoying these last days of summer in your gorgeous garden.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
dear Marilyn! i am sorry for how wild fires are causing suffering in your part of land ! my heartfelt prayers for all friends who are dealing with such painful situation 🙏🥺
ReplyDeleteyour fried zucchini looks so tempting 👍 i think i will try it in the season :)
loved your cutest baby Clara ❤️ yes babies are pure delight in life of parents 🥹
your flowers also made my days ❤️
your interview in podcost is great .i found it very pleasant surprise :))) you look lovely ,honest and open :)
i felt so happy that God gave you and your precious family to live life of dreams in surroundings that you loved most 🙏
Worldwide the fires this year have been so bad.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been affected.
The blooms in your garden do look lovely and colourful, and I agree grandchildren are a joy.
As August nears its end, I wish you happy and peaceful days ahead as we transition to the coming Autumn season.
All the best Jan
Hi Marilyn.... I meant to comment sooner! Time just got away from me! I hope your smokey days have finally cleared up. So many fires were burning around the time you posted this.. I was so UPSET and worried and lost sleep over it! The Spokane arae fires must be contained now as I don't even see them listed on the "Watch Duty" App on my phone. I'm so thankful, but so sad that so many homes were burned up. We had another huge fire pretty close to Mt. Hood and it burned alot of the Mt. Hood forest area to the east, which makes me very very sad. That area is so close to my heart, as I spent my childhood years going to the area just west of Mt. Hood, camping and picnicing. Thankfully, that area to the west did not burn. Oh it's all so sad. I love your gardens and flowers and your bountiful harvest that is happening now for you. My garden didn't do so well, nor my flowers. It has been so hot here and not much rain and even though I watered alot, nothing did very well. I bet you are super excited about your long porch. By now, it's probably done! Please post pictures! I will definitely go watch that podcast! Have a great week! xoxoxo Marilyn @ Pink Paper Cottage (my comment shows now as my google email and though I've tried, I can't get my pinkpapercottage URL to come back!).
ReplyDeleteDear Marilyn, I'm trusting that you are all safe and well, protected from the smoke and any harmful weather. May God give you peace as you make your way through these challenging days.
ReplyDelete