Many of you have seen the headlines about the horrific fires in Spokane, Washington, which is about an hour west of us. Thankfully, we have not had any major wildfires in our area. Still, with the volatility of the weather and the parched landscape, it has all of us on edge about the possibility that it could happen here. Our hearts are just broken to see the horrifying pictures and stories coming out of Spokane yesterday. The wall of smoke from the fires reached our area about 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon. I took the picture below when it arrived just south of my garden. It was so awful to know that so many precious lives had everything burnt up in that smoke. Over 600+ structures have been lost, and the fires are 0% contained. We have many family and friends in Spokane who had to evacuate, but all of them have reported that, to their knowledge, their homes are still standing. We have been praying for the Lord to protect the homes and lives of all those impacted. This is a situation that is still very concerning, and I ask for your prayers for the safety of all involved. Danielle's sister-in-law is an EMT/firefighter and has been assigned to Spokane to fight the fires. We pray for all of those who are sacrificing their lives and health to work on these fires.
Saturday was a very windy day here, and a day when we checked and double-checked our evacuation plans, should we need one. I have a list posted on our refrigerator of what to take depending on how much time we have to evacuate. Our RV is hooked up to our pickup, and it is stocked with all the basic supplies that we would need. We pray we never need it, but better to be prepared for the volatile situation we are in right now.
I spent a lot of time in the garden yesterday, and grieved the loss of so many whose gardens are burned and homes destroyed. Danielle's husband's cousin and her family had to evacuate, and many of the houses in their neighborhood burned. They believe their home is still standing. Another friend's daughter had to evacuate, and her cameras are still working, and they believe her home is still standing.
I give thanks to the Lord for this beautiful place where I can go and just enjoy the beauty of God's creation. And pray. I've been doing a lot of praying here!
The air was very smoky at this point, as the wall of smoke from the fires had reached us.
My greenhouse is surrounded by flowers, and I have corn growing behind it.
My dahlias have begun to bloom! My neighbor gave me some of the dahlia blooms she had overwintered, and they have begun to bloom. My heart is happy!
As dark settled upon us last evening, my solar lights began to come on. If you hadn't noticed, I love using solar lights in my garden. {smiles} I planted this grow tunnel with Scarlet Runner Beans. They bloom with such vigorous red blooms that the hummingbirds and bees love. Eventually they will cover the entire tunnel.
A closer picture of the blooms of the Scarlet Runner Beans. I highly recommend them! They also grow huge green beans, so it is a win-win grower!
This gives you an idea of where we are from the fires. Thankfully, our Idaho counties have no real wildfire concerns - at this time. But Spokane is in flames. This is just so awful to see!
My black-eyed Susans are really putting on a show!
The girls, grandgirls, and I went to a local blueberry farm. We had so much fun!
Baby Clara had fun helping us with the blueberries!
The blueberries were amazing!
Some of my recent harvest - this is happening every day now. Harvest season has begun, and it is wonderful!
We have had a SKUNK problem here! Several neighbors have seen skunks - I have seen skunks, and so we have a neighbor who is a trapper. He told us some amazing things about skunks. Their scent gland oil is highly prized. After it is refined, skunk oil is used in all high-end beauty products because of its incredible ability to last for days! Any of us who have experienced skunk spray know this well! Thankfully, we have not been sprayed! We have managed to trap two skunks. I have to do this because they will kill my chickens eventually. The trapper takes care of the issue, and their fur and scent oil are used. Unfortunately, once they begin to depend on human food and resources, they will always be a problem, even if relocated.
I had fun with my stamping friends making these cards. Another dear friend sent the pieces to make the darling Hedgehog birthday card. We had so much fun together, as always! I made the "Hooray" birthday card using the Paper Pumpkin kit.
These two darlings love to take a nap when I get up in the morning to drink my coffee. It is a good way to start my day!
Consider how the flowers grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. Luke 12:27
Thank you for your prayers for our area as we face the realities in the days ahead of what this wildfire will mean for the dear people of Spokane. We are "not out of the woods" here by any means, either, so we constantly pray and stay on alert during this wildfire season, and pray that we get gentle rain - no floods!
In spite of all that is happening locally and worldwide, we know the Lord will help us through it all. It is well with my soul! I wanted to share this video with you, and I pray it is a blessing to your hearts! In every situation we face, we can easily be overwhelmed with worry, but when we look to the Lord, that is when we can say: "It is well with my soul!"
The fires are so sad. I feel terrible for all those who are losing their homes and belongings and also for those fighting the fires. I pray they are controlled soon. Your garden is so very beautiful! I love those runner beans. Isn't it wonderful to have that beauty and produce as well? Glad you had fun at the blueberry farm!
Dear friend Marilyn! sorry for there are wildfires close to your area .it saddens my heart for friends who lost their homes ! though i feel grateful that it did not harm any human thankfully and due to excellent management by authorities people evacuate before fire can get close to them .this is a blessing indeed! how nice that your daughter's husband's cousin could evacuate on time by the grace of God! loosing home is traumatic indeed but compared to life it is less damage. your grandbaby helping you wiht blueberries looks absolutely cute! :) happy harvest to you dear friend ! you deserve after such a good job :) such a pretty collection of stunning blooms wow ,they cherish my heart with their vibrancy and elegance ❤️ i hope and pray that may you and your family don't have to leave and may fire put off asap ! sending love and heartfelt prayers🙏
Yes, I've seen the horrid images of destruction from these fires on the news, Marilyn. So unspeakably sad! I'm glad to know that you all and family members are safe and prepared should the fires come your way. Yes, I'll be praying for everyone involved! On a brighter note, I loved seeing your prolific garden and that little blueberry picker. I know those grands mean the world to you. Blessings!
It really has been sad to see the devastation in Spokane and with the other fires in our area. Prayers are flowing. We have a Spokane fireman who is a member of our church. He is exhausted. Another family in our church shared that their parents' home in the Modrite fire burned to the ground and they just made it out. Life is fragile and those who don't trust in the Lord and His providence have it so much harder in these circumstances. I like the idea of having a list on the frig for evacuation. We were just discussing what our plans would be. Changing gears now...your garden is a treat to see and I'm sure it is something you enjoy so much. Take care!
The fires are terrible, in so many places around the world. So many homes lost. We have friends in Spokane where the fire burned their lawn, but their home was spared. Thanks be to God! Gardening is a great activity for keeping the hands busy and the mind turned to prayer.
so sad that these wildfires are causing such havoc for not only people but for the little wildlife as well. I've been keeping up with the first all across the US. prayers for all who are in the paths of these fires. praying too for all of the firefighters. your garden looks beautiful. I can sure see that you put a lot of work into it. Blessings Marilyn to you and your family.
Hello, Joining you in prayer, the fires are so awful. Minnesota had awful fires earlier, we had the smoke. Keeping all your loved ones in prayer as they go to help. Please keep us updated. Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden with us and all the fur babies too. Love, Carla
Hi Marilyn.. yes those Spokane fires are just awful and I worry so much about the devastation they are causing. There are fires in other areas in Oregon that have just taken over thousands of acres, and I'm so sad to see our beautiful state just burning to the ground in so many areas. My sister's home in Terrebonne, Oregon (where her own house burned down in June of 2024) was threatened again as the Atawa Fire was only a mile or two from their home. The same thing happened last summer... I think fire management for our forests and dessert lands are just nonexistent anymore. When I was growing up in Oregon, there was hardly EVER a fire anywhere! Now they are all over the place and I'm just so upset about it. Thankfully your areas is protected so far.. my area is in the cooler coastal range of Oregon, but there HAVE been fires here before also, so I still worry somewhat. I too have an evacuation list on my cupboard door. In Madras, when we had a big fire there a few years ago and I lived there, I had a bunch of tubs packed and ready to go, in case we got the notice to get ready to go. The fire there was about 9 miles from our house, and moving rapidly towards us! On another note, your gardens, as usual, are gorgeous.... I never have had luck with dahlias! And those beans are amazing! And I'm glad you got to have some fun with cardmaking! I'm still doing it too. Brings me much joy and pleasure. Take care friend and have a good (busy) week! xoxo Marilyn
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about the wildfires going on in Spokane. I am whispering a prayer for the fire to be quickly contained. I'm sorry your area is getting the smoke from it as well. Your garden can be a peaceful and comforting time for you right now. Those red flowers are so pretty, and I can't believe green beans grow from the plant. That is the sweetest picture of baby Clara, and what a fun outing at the blueberry farm. I hope you get the skunk problem under control. Interesting information about their scent. Keep us updated about the fires, Marilyn. These wildfires are scary and unsettling, as California knows well. Thinking of you tonight. : )
Oh Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about the fires. We had a rush of smoke here two weeks ago for several days. It was terrible and the fires were hundreds of miles away. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be so close, to be afraid for your home, your family and for those fighting the fires. I do hope that they disappear soon...and I pray everyone is ok. Keeping you in my thoughts...
The few pictures I've seen of the fires are so disturbing and my heart goes out to all affected. It's so devastating what's happening in Washington and other states, as well as in France, Spain, and Greece. I am praying for all as well as for your family's safety, Marilyn! Praying for the Lord's protection and peace during this time. Yes! Praise God it is well with our soul!!!! Much love and blessings, Valentine
Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!
Please click here to visit my exciting NEW Website!
Author Profile
I am an avid hobby photographer living in North Idaho who shares her photography and inspirational writings on my blog
Through Love's Eyes
This inspirational book was written by me with photography of the four seasons of North Idaho. You can purchase my book here! I appreciate your support!
MTS YouTube Channel
Worship Medley with North Idaho Images
Follow By Email
Sign up with your email address to receive the latest updates straight in your inbox.
The fires are so sad. I feel terrible for all those who are losing their homes and belongings and also for those fighting the fires. I pray they are controlled soon.
ReplyDeleteYour garden is so very beautiful! I love those runner beans. Isn't it wonderful to have that beauty and produce as well?
Glad you had fun at the blueberry farm!
Dear friend Marilyn!
ReplyDeletesorry for there are wildfires close to your area .it saddens my heart for friends who lost their homes ! though i feel grateful that it did not harm any human thankfully and due to excellent management by authorities people evacuate before fire can get close to them .this is a blessing indeed!
how nice that your daughter's husband's cousin could evacuate on time by the grace of God! loosing home is traumatic indeed but compared to life it is less damage.
your grandbaby helping you wiht blueberries looks absolutely cute! :)
happy harvest to you dear friend ! you deserve after such a good job :)
such a pretty collection of stunning blooms wow ,they cherish my heart with their vibrancy and elegance ❤️
i hope and pray that may you and your family don't have to leave and may fire put off asap !
sending love and heartfelt prayers🙏
Yes, I've seen the horrid images of destruction from these fires on the news, Marilyn. So unspeakably sad! I'm glad to know that you all and family members are safe and prepared should the fires come your way. Yes, I'll be praying for everyone involved! On a brighter note, I loved seeing your prolific garden and that little blueberry picker. I know those grands mean the world to you. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteIt really has been sad to see the devastation in Spokane and with the other fires in our area. Prayers are flowing. We have a Spokane fireman who is a member of our church. He is exhausted. Another family in our church shared that their parents' home in the Modrite fire burned to the ground and they just made it out. Life is fragile and those who don't trust in the Lord and His providence have it so much harder in these circumstances. I like the idea of having a list on the frig for evacuation. We were just discussing what our plans would be. Changing gears now...your garden is a treat to see and I'm sure it is something you enjoy so much. Take care!
ReplyDeleteThe fires are terrible, in so many places around the world. So many homes lost. We have friends in Spokane where the fire burned their lawn, but their home was spared. Thanks be to God!
ReplyDeleteGardening is a great activity for keeping the hands busy and the mind turned to prayer.
so sad that these wildfires are causing such havoc for not only people but for the little wildlife as well. I've been keeping up with the first all across the US. prayers for all who are in the paths of these fires. praying too for all of the firefighters. your garden looks beautiful. I can sure see that you put a lot of work into it. Blessings Marilyn to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteJoining you in prayer, the fires are so awful. Minnesota had awful fires earlier, we had the smoke.
Keeping all your loved ones in prayer as they go to help.
Please keep us updated.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden with us and all the fur babies too.
Love, Carla
Hi Marilyn.. yes those Spokane fires are just awful and I worry so much about the devastation they are causing. There are fires in other areas in Oregon that have just taken over thousands of acres, and I'm so sad to see our beautiful state just burning to the ground in so many areas. My sister's home in Terrebonne, Oregon (where her own house burned down in June of 2024) was threatened again as the Atawa Fire was only a mile or two from their home. The same thing happened last summer... I think fire management for our forests and dessert lands are just nonexistent anymore. When I was growing up in Oregon, there was hardly EVER a fire anywhere! Now they are all over the place and I'm just so upset about it. Thankfully your areas is protected so far.. my area is in the cooler coastal range of Oregon, but there HAVE been fires here before also, so I still worry somewhat. I too have an evacuation list on my cupboard door. In Madras, when we had a big fire there a few years ago and I lived there, I had a bunch of tubs packed and ready to go, in case we got the notice to get ready to go. The fire there was about 9 miles from our house, and moving rapidly towards us! On another note, your gardens, as usual, are gorgeous.... I never have had luck with dahlias! And those beans are amazing! And I'm glad you got to have some fun with cardmaking! I'm still doing it too. Brings me much joy and pleasure. Take care friend and have a good (busy) week! xoxo Marilyn
ReplyDeleteMarilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about the wildfires going on in Spokane. I am whispering a prayer for the fire to be quickly contained. I'm sorry your area is getting the smoke from it as well. Your garden can be a peaceful and comforting time for you right now. Those red flowers are so pretty, and I can't believe green beans grow from the plant. That is the sweetest picture of baby Clara, and what a fun outing at the blueberry farm. I hope you get the skunk problem under control. Interesting information about their scent. Keep us updated about the fires, Marilyn. These wildfires are scary and unsettling, as California knows well. Thinking of you tonight. : )
ReplyDeleteOh Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about the fires. We had a rush of smoke here two weeks ago for several days. It was terrible and the fires were hundreds of miles away. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be so close, to be afraid for your home, your family and for those fighting the fires. I do hope that they disappear soon...and I pray everyone is ok. Keeping you in my thoughts...
ReplyDeleteThe few pictures I've seen of the fires are so disturbing and my heart goes out to all affected. It's so devastating what's happening in Washington and other states, as well as in France, Spain, and Greece.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for all as well as for your family's safety, Marilyn! Praying for the Lord's protection and peace during this time.
Yes! Praise God it is well with our soul!!!!
Much love and blessings, Valentine