I have a story to share that still feels unbelievable even today as I share it with you. There was a terrible fire at an apartment complex in our community last week, and my former caregiving client's apartment was a complete loss. The fire started in the neighboring tenant's apartment. She said she heard banging and strange noises next door. Before long, firefighters showed up outside her window, broke it, and rescued her through the window. There was no time to grab her purse, gather any belongings, or even find her beloved cat, Missy.
When I arrived, I spoke with several members of the fire crew. Again and again, I was told the same thing: Missy had either died in the fire or escaped through the window during the rescue.
![]() |
| My friend's apartment was on the right, the fire started with the tenant who lived on the left. |
Giving up wasn’t an option for me, though, because I knew Missy probably hadn’t escaped-she was scared of the outdoors. I wanted to be sure she wasn’t in the apartment before they began boarding up the windows. The plywood was stacked outside, and they were about to board up the apartment complex.
I kept asking the various fire personnel and apartment complex managers to see if anyone could go inside and check under the bed or in the closet—places where Missy would normally hide. The apartment was badly damaged, so going back inside wasn't a simple request.
Finally, one wonderful firefighter listened to my pleas. She completely suited up in her protective gear and went inside.
I waited outside, watching the door anxiously as she began her search.
A few minutes later, she emerged carrying my friend’s purse! It was soaking wet from the water used to fight the fire, but everything inside was still intact.
Then she went back inside.
I waited again, praying quietly.
When she emerged the second time, she was carrying Missy.
Alive!
I could hardly believe it. Have you ever experienced a miracle and it seemed unreal? I lifted my hands and praised God immediately. It was a miracle that so many people got to witness!
Missy had been trapped beneath ceiling debris after part of the roof collapsed. Somehow, through the flames, smoke, water, and falling debris, this sweet little cat had survived.
Almost everyone had believed she would have died from smoke inhalation. But me-and the kind firefighter.
I am still thanking the Lord for keeping Missy alive, and for the brave, kind firefighter who took the time to suit up and enter the apartment to look for a cat.
The compassionate firefighter who was willing to listen to my pleas and make one more trip inside is a hero to me! Because she did, my friend received something precious in the middle of losing almost everything—hope.
The firefighter placed Missy in my arms, and I took her to my truck. I worried she might bolt, but she hung on to me! I called my friend as soon as I got to my truck and told her the happy news. She kept asking me, "Are you sure she's okay?" She was so shocked and overcome with joy at the news.
Her friend had just taken her out for a drive to get a McDonald's ice cream, and they weren't far away, so they came over to see Missy. I got out of my truck and took Missy to see my friend. We were all crying! When Missy saw her momma, she was so happy that she "pee'd" all over me! I was soaking wet, but we didn't care! We were so happy that they were reunited!
I stopped by the fire station to drop off a gift for the firefighter. I found a heart frame and wrote on it:
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for saving my life,
Love, Missy the Miracle Cat
Missy is staying with me for now, safe and loved, while my friend waits to be relocated to another apartment. She has been told that she has an apartment saved for her to move into as soon as paperwork gets completed. She hopes it will be in about a week or so. She lived in that apartment complex for 20 years!
So, in the midst of such terrifying circumstances, Missy has become a beautiful reminder that even when it seems everything is lost, there can still be unexpected moments of mercy, hope, and answered prayer. My friend has received that gift of hope, and for that I am grateful!
I will be back soon to share pictures of Fall colors here, and a special birthday grand girl :) Blessings to all of you!





Post a Comment
Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!