Enjoy Winter While You Can!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

We have had a showdown between winter and spring the past week or so.  On Monday, it was all out winter. We got more snow on Monday at one time than we probably got at any one time this winter. Then, on Wednesday a warm front moved in, pushing out all the cold air, and everything began to melt. Last week, I was able to get out and hike three different times.  Which was a very good thing, because this week has not been the best week for hiking at all!  I've learned you've got to make the most of each day while you can.  So, I am going to combine about three different hikes that we took last week in this one post.



I took these pictures on a hike that I took last week.  The weather was overcast but the snow that was just resting on the trees called out to me to come and see... so we did!


Annie was more than ready to go too.



Sometimes when I hike, the snow has already melted off the trees.  I love it when I hike, and the snow is still blanketing these beautiful trees.


As I walked, I had to be very careful.  There was a heavy layer of ice below the thin layer of snow.


You can see here what I mean.  As you would take a step, your foot would keep going and slide underneath you.  I actually slipped and fell several times, and I noticed the dogs scooting across the snow too as we hiked.  The thin layer of snow made it rather treacherous, and slow walking, because of the ice underneath.



That didn't stop the dogs from having fun together, doing their usual wrestling, pouncing, and teasing.





I love this picture of the tree-lined trail covered in thick snow.



When I hike with Annie, I know she is always on super-alert for anything going on around us as we hike.  Hiking gives her a chance to run off some of her built-up pent-up energy.



She was watching Cosmo as he was running through the woods here.  She is very intent on her work of making sure everyone is safe and happy around her.


I was playing with the camera a bit, and turned so the angle of the camera would show a different view of the trail.  It was just gorgeous.




After we left the wooded trail, we stopped by to see Sunny.  She was still eating snow!


She was happy to see me, but kept her eye on the dogs.


She enjoyed being petted as the dogs scuffled around behind me, and she kept a close eye on them.



I don't think Sunny likes getting her picture taken.  She would look at me, and let me pet her if I put the camera down. Such a shy pretty girl!


Because it was so nice to be outside, the dogs and I continued on our walk through the woods behind our home.  Cosmo immediately got excited, and began digging furiously at something under the snow.



Whatever it was, he never found.  But he sure had fun trying!


A few days later, the sun had come out, and the dogs and I set off again to enjoy the brilliant blue skies, bright sunshine, and sparkling snow.


The sun was so bright, and warm, it felt like a heat wave!



Oh, when the sun shines, how beautiful the world becomes!



Annie as usual on her nose-sniffing business...


Snow-capped mountains in the distance...


Eating snow is a favorite thing for dogs to do it seems!


Off to another detective assignment!



A snow covered stump made more beautiful with its snow covering, I think!

Annie on high-alert...




Having too much fun, Annie is now worn out, with her tongue hanging out...



I wish I had her energy!


A few days later I went on another hike with my dear friend SL.  The snow was beautiful, the sun was shining, and it was just another wonderful day to be outside hiking.


The snow had bent this poor tree all the way over our path.  Even though we broke it loose from the snow, it still remained bent over.

The dogs doing their usual nose-to-the ground work...




All three dogs had a wonderful time together running through the woods and sharing their finds with each other.




We had a rather uneventful hike together, but got lots of great exercise as we climbed up and down some hills, and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine.  It was great that we got out and enjoyed the day when we did, because as we returned back to the house, the clouds had begun to roll in, and soon, the sunshine was replaced with overcast skies.  Such is the weather here... you just can never count on it to stay the same for very long, so you must enjoy it while you can!




Post a Comment

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini