Chasing the Flu Bug Away with Tried and True Remedies

Monday, January 6, 2020

As some of you know, in my last post, I shared how our daughter had the flu.  It was quite a mean and nasty bug.  We used all the home remedies that we could think of.  Many people shared their flu remedies with me, and I thought it would be great to have them all in one place, so I decided to do a blog post about them! This will be a reference you can return to should you ever need to fight off a nasty flu/cold bug. 

Each one of us responds to a virus/flu/cold bug differently, with many different variables.  I am hopeful that with this compiled list of flu/cold busters that perhaps there will be a remedy listed here that will help you should you need a line of defense against the flu bug.

Below I have listed the remedies we tried, all of which seemed to bring welcome relief. 



First I set up a little table beside the couch where she spent most of her sick time. I covered the couch with a sheet that I could change out.  I covered the table with a towel that I could change every day.  I also changed her pillowcase every day too.  Each day I scrubbed down the area with diluted bleach water.  I think this helped keep the germ-spreading to a minimum.

I kept a glass filled with ice water and lemon for her to sip on out of a straw, crackers, thermometer, and the meds we were using which were Advil, Nyquil/Dayquil, honey/lemon throat lozenges and Robitussin cough gels. I kept a little jar of honey with a spoon for her to take a spoonful of honey when her throat was raw.  She drank a lot of hot tea with lemon as well.

Some of the different things we did to alleviate the flu symptoms:

Face steam baths with peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil 
Diffused peppermint, lavender and On Guard essential oils
Horse Liniment rubs on her chest and abdomen to ease the pain from coughing
A teaspoon of honey for sore throat
Saltwater gargles
Chicken bone broth to drink
Airborne immunity pills - they are vitamin C pills with other vitamins and minerals

And most importantly... kitty snuggles :) 

I posted on Instagram about my daughter having the flu, and so many were kind enough to share their remedies that I thought I would share them here with you too. 

@cooper_cottage_life  Theraflu, which we found to really help

@paulavanrassel  Nasal saline and ibuprofen

@truelovehearts21 1 cup Rubbing Alcohol in Hot Bath in water breaks the fever

@stuff_and_nonsense Probiotics, and elderberry syrup

@birdieblessings  Tea made with hot water, apple cider vinegar (about 1T), and honey. Also gargle with 2
 drops thieves oil in a cup of warm water. One more that seems to work well. Vick’s vapor rub on the soles of her feet at night, then socks. Helps with night cough. Tried and true. Has worked on my grandchildren.

@hollymoore357  I like to drink hot peppermint tea and also warm honey water for my throat.

@ajparton13  Mentholaleum on the bottom of her feet then put socks on. No more coughing! Also Flonase will help reduce the swelling & inflammation in her sinuses.

@marlenasrosecoloredglasses  I do all that you’ve mentioned and it works. Lots of rest, hot soups and teas to keep hydrated. I sometimes add Vick’s Vapo rub to chest, using a towel against the skin under clothes and also add to hot water for the face steam and use 12 hr Afrin nasal spray before bed. Helps clear up stuffiness that runs down throat which can cause coughing.

@mountainmamaonline  ...the Irish say three days coming, three days staying, three days leaving....but that might just be a nasty cold, not the flu...

@veeswanpark  Essential oil: Thieves

@isora.martinez  Tussin and go to CVS there some medication called Severe Cold for Adult, at nighttime HALLS with real Honey its has Honey Chamomile and Emergen C in water. Oh for her throat take 4 aspirin in water the best no salt it’s too strong.  Make her chicken soup and lemon water. 

@melscomfyhouse  How about some supplements for all of you...elderberry, vitamin C and vitamin D?

@marilyn tea  I find when a virus gets down in my chest and I can't kick it I start taking Olive Leaf capsules (about 4 capsules a day for three days) and I start feeling better in a few days.

@debs.earthly.delights  Water water water and looks like you have it covered

@pemmy2001  Ginger tea or just boiled ginger slices? It helps with cold

@_mari_anne  A product we have here in Canada that we use is Kyolic Immune Shield.

@mematwothree  Robitussin DM or DMCF? It's an expectorant and cough suppressant. Always helps with the cough and to keep it from going into the lungs

Thankfully she has recovered fully from the flu, even though it took several days for her to fully feel back to normal. And the rest of us so far, thankfully, have not gotten the flu. Thank you Lord!

Has the flu bug visited you this year? I'd like to make this a great compilation of flu-busting tips, so if you have any to offer, be sure and share them below.

Blessings to all and praying that none of you need any of these tips!!!!





35 comments

  1. Thank you SO much for this comprehensive post. I'm going to print it out and keep it handy. So far we've been good, but I'm afraid I may thing differently tomorrow. Dennis flew home on Saturday, had his endoscopy today and tonight he's sneezing and coughing. The incubation period for getting sick from the plane trip is spot on. I'm so glad he got the endoscopy done though. I gave him immunity supplements and sent him to bed early and I'm hopeful that he'll be better tomorrow. I'm praying for that anyway.
    I'm so glad your daughter is better.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marilyn ... here's 12 Essential Graces For When You're Feeling Punky
    http://www.lindastoll.net/2016/10/12-essential-graces-for-when-youre.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad that your daughter is feeling so much better. You were an excellent nurse. Equally glad to know that everyone else has remained well. Those were a lot of remedies all listed. Helpful for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh...y'all keep that flu bug away, smiles. Glad to read your daughter is feeling better, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness!
    I am so happy to hear your daughter is on the mend.
    Thank you so very much for sharing all these helpful tips.
    Hopefully, I won't be in need of them, but if so, I know where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat Vicks. I put a teaspoonful in a bowl of boilng water, and leave it in the bedroom for my poorly husband to breathe the aromas. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So many ways to combat the flu, I'm really impressed! We always get our flu shots, and I'm so grateful as the flu is running rampant here in Georgia.
    So glad your precious daughter is feeling better, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post with all these wonderful tips, Marilyn. So glad your daughter is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you were well supplied to battle that bug. I have not had the flu yet. My son was sick for a weekend, my granddaughter was away from school for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your daughther gets better!Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased that your daughter is feeling much better.
    What a great lot of remedies you've listed - very helpful.

    My best wishes to you and yours for 2020.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marilyn, I'm glad that your daughter is feeling better. I hope everyone stays healthy. Love all the remedy suggestions. I can't add anything to your list. I had a mild version of the flu over the weekend. I did get the flu shot and I think it does help. Stay well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor girl! She looks just miserable. I'm glad she's better. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SO thankful your dear girl is so much better! God is so faithful to answer prayer and pull us through so many, many times. I see that several mentioned Thieves, and that is something we use regularly when we feel a sickness coming on. We actually ingest it, which some may not feel comfortable doing, but I learned this a few years ago on the internet. If you have a sore throat, you rub one drop of Thieves on the inside of the cheek, allow it to drip down the throat, wait one minute, then do the same on the other cheek. The instructions said to do it ten times, and we have found that usually by that tenth time, the sore throat is much better. May God keep everyone well! Sending much love to you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marilyn, and thank you for your recent visit to my blog, This Beautiful Life. I do hope your daughter is feeling totally better now. I haven't had the flu for over a decade, but 2 years ago, I was really sick with pneumonia. What worked best for me was lots of rest and a product called Congaplex, from Standard Process. My chiropractor recommended it, and after I started taking it, I began to get better. I don't remember what it consisted of---herbs, animal marrow, nutritional yeast, and a few other things.

    How long have you lived in Idaho? I've lived in Boise for 20 years this coming June. We love Idaho!

    Blessings to you,
    Patti @ This Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you are all glad that your daughter is feeling better. We all seem to be fighting a cold in our house but luckily no fevers. Thanks for sharing all of this advice to fight the flu season.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Influenza is so hard on the body. Glad to hear she is better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic idea to post the remedies. I am pinning so I have them in case I need them.
    I think a sweet kitty is a help too. ;-) When the boys got ill our Max (he was an orange kitty) was the nurse, that is what we called him. He would always snuggle up with them.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of good tips . . . I think you left off "comfort kitty" lol. It is a nasty strain that's making the rounds! Thanks for sharing all of these helpful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad your girl is on the mend, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing all the information.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Marilyn,
    I am just so sorry you have all been hit so hard with this flu bug. I have heard that it is a real nasty one this year.
    So thankful your daughter is recovering. I know what a worry it is when our children become so sick and lethargic.
    Great remedies here. We were always Vicks Vapor Rub folks. Rub on the chest and then a undershirt under the p'j top.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad to hear your daughter is all better and that the rest of you have been able to avoid it! We haven't gotten the flu this season...*knock on wood*. But I know if it does hit us I will definitely come back to this post and use some of these tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Marilyn! Oh, I'm so sorry your girl was so sick. The flu can be awful. Thank you for sharing all the comforting remedies, too. Prayers that you don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful to be so well cared for while fighting a flu bug. Fortunate girl! Great suggestions and remedies. Glad she's feeling better and the bug hasn't been passed on to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad she's feeling better Marilyn. The flu can really be awful. I hope it's passed and no one else gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is valuable information! Thanks everyone, I'm taking notes and keeping them handy!
    The Flu sure can get your down. Glad to know your daughter is UP!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Marilyn... thank you so much for posting all of the remedies..I've used most but hadn't heard of a couple. Going to print this or pin it for future reference. Our most used things when sick are hot tea with honey, lemon, apple cider vinegar and hot soup.. lots of fluids and honey and broth. I've heard of the vicks on the feet... if I have an early sign of being sick, I also take Congaplex.. recommended by my most favorite chiropractor too! It's best when taken early on.. and I also take, at the first sign, grape seed and pine bark extracts (in capsule).. and usually take them all through the winter. They are great for the immune system to keep the germs away. My hubby and I swear by the Congaplex though. I had been out for years, but when I went to my doc up north, I got some again from him. They are a Godsend. We also use a pure expectorant to keep the lungs clear.. used to be able to get a liquid expectorant from Robatussun but not on the shelves anymore.. now it is in pill form and doesn't work as well. I found some liquid expectorant on Amazon and got some.. works great to keep the lungs from getting tight... I like it without the cough suppressant, but sometimes have to resort to a cough supressant also when the cough is too bad at night. I HATE that cough at night! Haven't been sick for awhile (knock on wood). We also take extra Vit C in the winter and if I/we feel something coming on, we take extra, with the Congaplex and Grape Seed and Pine Bark. Seems to work really good. Hope you all stay well for the rest of the winter! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Flu bugs seem to be getting more and more violent. I also like to try homemade medicines before pharmaceutical ones. I make a tea of fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks, sage and lemon, with a teaspoon of honey, especially helpful for a sore throat.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a good nurse you are Marilyn! I'm sorry your girl was so sick but it looks as though you had every base covered. We so far have been able to steer clear of the flu but Jim and I both had colds...I was able to get rid of mine pretty quickly using Alka-Seltzer Plus Cough & Cold (the fizzy tablets, not the pills) and man, it really did the job and helped you sleep. Good old Campbell's Chicken Noodle and some hot chai tea also helped get me through. Jim seems to keep getting the same germs and hasn't been able to completely shake his completely....LYSOL to the rescue! I sure hope she is feeling better and the rest of you have been able to stay healthy as well! Great, helpful post...take good care...HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great ideas. We do a few of these, gargling with warm salt water, we drink EmergenC... I hope she's feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your daughter must have been so sick, she was so fortunate to have you there to care for her. Great tips on ways to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So glad she is feeling better. Lord, I try to do everything in my power to stay ahead of the game with this cold/flu/mess. It takes a toll on me bad when I get sick. But sometimes we just flat out can't help getting sick. You have some great ideas and options listed. Making a note on several of these things. I know for me, I try real hard to drink, drink, drink and rest. A little tip my sisterinlaw (nurse) gave me some years ago has really helped me was, mix half Gatorade and half sprite together and drink it. The Gatorade helps to keep you hydrated and the sprite gives you the calories you are missing from not being able to eat. She said it was like having your own little IV. So glad she is much better Marilyn. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so glad that your dear daughter is feeling better. I liked reading all the helpful tips, Marilyn. I don't think I had the flu, but I had the sore throat and cough. I hadn't been sick in years. I always take Vitamin C daily, and If I feel anything coming on, I'll take some throughout the day, but this time it didn't help. I did try some different teas with water,lemon and honey, and one with turmeric, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and black pepper. Of course, soups sure brought a lot of comfort and I was glad that I had several prepared ahead of time. I think God was looking out for me.
    You were a good nurse!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini