Fog and Sunshine

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

 Here we are, friends! We've made it into 2021, and 2020 is now truly a year that is in hindsight.  How thankful I am for the many mercies and love of the Lord on our family throughout the past year, as He always has.  And whatever this year holds before us, I look into this year through a "glass darkly" yet with complete faith and trust that the Lord's provision will be sufficient, no matter what our earthly circumstances or political stage looks like.

When I walk each morning, it gives me a chance to spend time in the Lord's creation, and to bask in the beauty of His world.  There is something so comforting about looking upward to the skies, and to the horizon beyond me, and to the world in front of me, and to realize that our Lord does ALL THINGS WELL.  It is in those times of walking with Him, praying, and spending time in the Word in the morning before I leave, that I find the strength, peace, and joy to carry on with each day He has given me breath to enjoy. 

As so often is the case, here in north Idaho, January can be a very foggy, gray month.  The fog hangs low and thick, and the horizon often may not stretch much farther than the breath you breathe.  And it can seem in those gray, foggy days that the skies, mountains, and familiar horizons have forever disappeared into the mists that surround your present being.  Yet, in our heart's mind, we know those familiar landmarks are there, even when they cannot be seen. Soon though, in its own time, the sun will break through the clouds, and shine its light onto the world, illuminating clearly that which could not be seen just moments (or days) before.  

The reality is that the sun is always shining, 

up above the clouds, 

and it is just the clouds obstructing the sun's rays 

that prevent the light from shining.  

The mountains have not moved, the horizon has not changed, nor has the forest disappeared from sight.  It just takes the sunshine to bring back into focus what we knew was there all along. 

Just as it is at night too... many times in the darkness of the hour, it is hard to believe the reality of what we know to be true.  Sometimes the darkness can cause us to doubt what we know.  Yet... without fail, the dawning of the day always comes, and sunlight floods into the darkness, and truth is made known. 

January Fog


I think so often how this relates to our spiritual walk with the Lord. We may feel that we are in a deep foggy state, where landmarks that we are accustomed to are out of sight and we may struggle to remember and believe that they are there.  


But even in the dark, foggy moments, sweet delights of beauty await on closer inspection. We can choose to look for beauty, even in the difficult moments... for they are there! 


And when the fog lifts, and the sunshine begins to spread its warm glow on the world, there is a beauty manifested in its wake that reassures the soul that all is well. 


And so dear friends... when the way you walk is dark, or shrouded in fog, take heart, because the sunshine will soon come... and it will be a beautiful sight to see! 


We've had a very mild January this year, but the little snow we have gotten has been beautiful! 

I just love the world as the snow gently falls, the quiet beauty of the snow
upon the landscape fills the air with a solemn stillness. 


As we are well on our way into the new year of 2021, I look forward to the road ahead, somewhat uncertain, perhaps filled with a storm cloud or two... but with the Lord's constant companionship, 
I know whatever roads ahead we face, our Lord is with us. 

I want to leave you with this precious passage of scripture that remains so true today. 

 
I Corinthians 13
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, 
and have not charity, 
I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, 
and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; 
and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, 
and have not charity, I am nothing. 
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, 
and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, 
it profiteth me nothing. 

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; 
charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 
Doth not behave itself unseemly, 
seeketh not her own, 
is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, 
hopeth all things, endureth all things. 

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, 
they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; 
whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, 
then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, 
I understood as a child, I thought as a child: 
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; 
but then face to face: 
now I know in part; 
but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; 
but the greatest of these is charity.


56 comments

  1. "...the sun will break through the clouds, and shine its light onto the world, illuminating clearly that which could not be seen just moments (or days) before."

    Something so powerful in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It spoke to my heart too Sandi... sometimes the Lord just drops these nuggets in my soul. Many blessings to you :)

      Delete
    2. Warm greetings in Christ Marilyn!
      I was referred to your blog by a friend, and I must say how completely delighted I am to have found you!! Your observations about the world around us blessed me :) My soul finds such peace out in God's marvelous creation!! First Corinthians 13 was the perfect ending to your blog! In the depths of winter, even there, God refreshes us....if only we have eyes to see. Blessings! Sandi B.

      Delete
    3. Hello Sandi! I'm so happy to meet you, and welcome you to my blog! I appreciate your kind comment so much, and I look forward to getting to know you better! Truly even in the despondent days winter sometimes brings us, we can find hope and beauty to sustain us. This is what I look for, sweet joys that bless throughout my day. Blessings to you Sandi! So happy you stopped by :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Marilyn, I loved so much what you shared..
    And yes we may stand on the doorstep of the unknown but as you so rightly said we don’t stand walk or go alone our Lord is always with us!
    I saw you’d just posted on my sidebar so popped over. Have just blogged too. 😃🙏🙏🙏❤️
    Thanks for Sharing, may the LORD God bless and keep you safe, and all those you love,
    Prayer hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    {Wonderful Words of Life - God has not given us a Spirit of Fear}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS we don’t have snow here and are in summer but oh how I loved loved your photos. As a child I lived in our mountains and yes it snowed in winter there too but nothing like yours. Gods magnificence!
      Hugs Shaz.x

      Delete
  3. Your photos are marvelous, Marilyn, and your thoughts here have refreshed my soul and filled me with hope (my word for the year). Thank you for this inspiration today, my friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha for your visit and kind words. I'm thankful that hope filled your heart after your visit... may the Lord bless you richly and keep you safe in His care. Much love to you!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness!
    What a beautiful post to greet me this morning.
    Your photos are lovely, your words so inspiring.
    Have a cozy day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Billie Jo, always a delight to my soul! Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  5. Your post today is an inspiration and upholds me. Your photos and descriptive writings are a joy to behold and fill me with hope through these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is something we all need, indeed Lorraine... thank you for your sweet visit to my blog!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Marilyn. This is definitely a hard time to walk through and sometimes I wonder what the Lord has in store for us, but I DO know that He is there, walking alongside me through the fog, judy waiting for the glorious sunshine to appear.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you Betsy... hope in Jesus sustains us and keeps us through uncertain days, as we wait for sunshine and spring to arrive :) Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and sweet comment Jeanette :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for these words. It is often so easy to get caught up in the negative and forget that the sun is still shining and God is still in control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is a beautiful thing, and when our hope is in Christ, it is steadfast and sure! Many blessings to you Ruth!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Marilyn and love your sentence about the sun always shining above the clouds...so true!! Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful thing to remember the sun always shines, whether we can see it or not :) Blessings to you Kim!

      Delete
  10. I think we all come here for several reasons. To be fed Beauty, is my reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful your soul is fed beauty here, dear friend!

      Delete
  11. The dark days this time of year are depressing for sure. The days are lengthening though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting to see the lengthening days indeed Marie! Always nice to be on this side of the sun's travels :)

      Delete
  12. Oooh - your photos are always so gorgeous! And today, the words and verses you shared are perfect and touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful your heart was touched dear friend... we all need sources of hope in these days!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing both the beautiful photos and inspirational words.
    Keep safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your visit so much! Many blessings :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful pictures and beautiful message as a reminder to us that we never stand or walk alone. Praise His Holy Name. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has sustained me too, Cindy! Many blessings to you :)

      Delete
  15. Your photos are beautiful and words are so encouraging and inspiring. Thank you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine, I always appreciate your kind visits :)

      Delete
  16. Such a peaceful and glorious place to be...thank you for sharing with us. I told my hubby about your beautiful place and he said, "let's go!" Of course I don't think he was serious and we wouldn't survive the winter, but it sure is beautiful and looks so peaceful. We are blessed where we are too and so thankful for what God has provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love it here Pamela! But the winters are harder on folks, and there are a lot of people who come here for summers, and stay in warmer climates for the winter. I love the winter myself {smiles}. God is so good to take care of us no matter where we live :)

      Delete
  17. THANK YOU!!! Beautiful photos and wonderful message, a message that I needed.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you were encouraged Carla... we all need sources of encouragement these days! Blessings :)

      Delete
  18. What a post of bright sunshine today. Thank you so much dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Laura, always appreciated :)

      Delete
  19. Marilyn, thank you so much for this daily devotion! Love it all & photographs too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina, always a blessing to have you visit!

      Delete
  20. Your words were so comforting to me today, and your photos are SO beautiful! Just breathtaking. I love the stillness of snow, too, and how it just feels so calming. We have been getting some snow, but not too much. We had a beautiful snowy Christmas and such a wonderful time staying in and enjoying our moments together. God is so good! May He bless you and keep you and your family in this new year, sweet friend. Sending love and hugs your way today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend... was so glad to hear you got to have snow for Christmas, how exciting! God is so good, in spite of all that goes on, so thankful for our hope in HIM! Many blessings to you dear friend :)

      Delete
  21. Beautiful photos and comforting words—thank you!❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vee.. always a joy to have you visit and comment, many blessings to you!

      Delete
  22. Such a awesome message you've shared today! The pictures are beautiful and I felt like I was walking along with you. As I was reading along my thoughts went to God, we can't see Him but we know He is with us. Not so much by landmarks, but by the many blessings He gives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful that we have assurance in our hearts that the Lord is always with us! Thank you for your visit Mary, many blessings!

      Delete
  23. What a beautiful post, both in pictures and in the message. I Corinthians 13 is one of my favorite passages. We all would do well to read it often and keep it in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 Cor. 13 is such a powerful passage, such rich truth in it! Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  24. dear Marilyn your words are greatly inspiring and healing !!!!!!!!!!

    i was deeply moved by this beautiful beautiful post my friend ,they touched my soul as always and uplifted my heart indeed!!!

    how true that with eyes of soul we are able to see what blessings waiting for us behind fog of terror that harsh circumstances bring before us
    Faith has strength to disillusion us from the all darkness that seems larger than life sometimes because of our weak faith in Lord
    Having belief that despite of not being able to be sighted " Light " is still there behind clouds or fog and waiting for our "undefeated faith " is blessing and true gift .
    once Lord find our faith undefeated he breaks the darkness and smiles upon us :)

    not just words but images go amazingly right with your words ,loved the phrase most "constant companionship of Lord " oh that made my eyes teary because i could relate strongly !
    thank you for being such wise and kind friend !
    much love and peace to your days ahead my dear Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful for your precious friendship and love of the Lord Baili! I pray that the Lord reveals Himself to you in mighty and powerful ways, as only He can! Your comments are always such a blessing, and I'm thankful for your wonderfully heartfelt words! Much love to you dear friend!

      Delete
  25. Ah, your welcome to the new year and to this month of January is so upbeat and inspirational, friend. I'm grateful you're in my world to remind me of God's beauty seen in nature. We share our hope in Him together. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for your kind words, I'm thankful we share our hope in Him together too! A special bond in Christ :) Much love to you dear friend!

      Delete
  26. Beautiful words and photos.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I appreciate your visit and kind words!

      Delete
  27. Your photographs are so lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I always appreciate your wonderful visits :)

      Delete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini