Savoring Winter's January Days, Tiramisu and Homemade Tortillas

Friday, January 29, 2021

What is it about the long winter days of January that call me into the kitchen? I do find something quite comforting about spending time in the kitchen, baking and cooking up wonderful things for my family to enjoy.  

Recently I enjoyed an outing with some of my dear friends to a local Greek restaurant.  It was a lovely way to spend a drizzly, rainy day in January.  

If you are a local to the Post Falls area, most likely you will recognize this restaurant for its incredibly good food... that is FULL of garlic! Oh yes, this restaurant specializes in all things garlic... and they have a reputation in the community for their amazing food! 



All of us ordered something different, and then shared a "taste" with the rest of the group, which was so fun!  I ordered the Traditional Gyro with their signature fries and pasta salad.  Oh my... soo soo good! In fact, even after sharing a "taste" with  my friends, I still couldn't eat it all, and brought some home for lunch the next day!

But perhaps the real reason for my excitement eating at this restaurant was their amazing
Tiramisu and Baklava.  

Oh this tiramisu was so good, and there were no leftovers to take home... ha!
Coffee and chocolate are decadent dessert companions! 

Now, has anyone else ever experienced your phone "listening" to you? Well, my phone must have heard us discussing tiramisu and upon arriving back at home, what did I find but an advertisement for a recipe for tiramisu from one of my favorite online video cooks, Natasha's Kitchen. (https://natashaskitchen.com/tiramisu-recipe/)  Well, this was ONE time that I was glad to follow the link, and thought, why not?  So I found the ladyfingers at my local grocery store and I followed the wonderful video directions to making this amazing dessert. 


Every bite was delicious! 

I made my tiramisu without alcohol, using espresso coffee and real vanilla extract.  If you love a light dreamy, coffee-flavored dessert with overtones of chocolate... then my friend, this is the dessert you must try! {smiles} And it really is very easy to make, worth the time! 


Homemade Tortillas... another project in the kitchen. These are so easy to make ahead, and there is no comparison to the taste as compared to store bought.  Truly, these are amazingly easy to make... just mix the dough in your mixer, roll into small balls, flatten, and let rest for a couple of hours.  Then roll out and cook in a dry hot skillet... you might not ever buy store-bought again! 

Each one takes just a few minutes to cook, and the results are light and airy tortillas. 

Truly so yummy... and taco night will never be the same again.  I'll share the recipe below. 


HOMEMADE TORTILLAS
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients well. Combine oil and warm water, pour slowly into flour mixture, stirring constantly until dough forms.  Continue kneading until dough pulls away from sides and is soft and supple.  Let dough rest a few minutes, then form into 16 balls.  Press balls to flatten, and let rest on plate for at least 15 minutes, and up to 2 hours.  When ready to cook, heat skillet (I use iron) over medium heat. On lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a tortilla shape, place tortilla in dry hot skillet and cook for about 1 minute, or until there are small bubbles seen, and the bottom has light brown spots, flip tortilla and cook an additional minute or so until lightly browned. Remove to a warming plate.  Repeat with remaining balls, and serve hot... drizzled with honey and butter... they are a yummy sweet treat too! 

I found a good recipe here almost identical to mine, if you'd like more in-depth instructions.


With all the time I've spent in the kitchen... it is a good thing my dogs and I are walking 5+ miles each day, rain, shine, snow or rain!  The dogs don't read the weather reports, and I guess I don't pay much attention to them either, as they are usually... inconsistently right... or wrong {smiles} 

Most of you know how much I love to cross-country ski in my back acreage each winter, but this winter, snowfall has been so light, that hasn't been possible. 
So our walks each day are the highlight of our days.  

Since we built the roof over our home, we have a huge covered area now, and the chickens have taken up residence here during the day.... I wouldn't mind their presence, if it wasn't for the little "presents" they leave behind, ha! 

The skies have offered up some glorious sights as we walk...
how grateful I am for each and every beautiful scene before me as I walk! 

This beautiful old red barn fills my heart with pitter-patters of delight each time I walk by! 

Returning home one evening right at sunset after a day of town errands,
this beautiful sunset greeted us as we got closer to home. 



We have had a very mild winter here so far, and spring doesn't seem that far away.  It is time for me to start my tomato and pepper seedlings in February, and I can hardly believe that time is upon us already!  Since winter has been a bit of a disappointment this year, I am very much looking forward to the blooms of spring that as soon as we get through February, will be here to enjoy.  

Below is a special scripture that has comforted me many times, and I pray it brings comfort and joy to your hearts today... no matter the difficult circumstance of life we face... the Lord's promises remain... and as the Creator of this earth, of  you and me, our hope in Him remains steadfast regardless of the circumstances of life around us. 

Isaiah 51:11-16
11 Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return, 
and come with singing unto Zion; 
and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: 
they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away.

12 I, even I, am he that comforteth you: 
who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, 
and of the son of man which shall be made as grass;

13 And forgettest the Lord thy maker, 
that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; 
and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, 
as if he were ready to destroy? and where is the fury of the oppressor?

14 The captive exile hasteneth that he may be loosed, 
and that he should not die in the pit, nor that his bread should fail.

15 But I am the Lord thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared: 
The Lord of hosts is his name.

16 And I have put my words in thy mouth, 
and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, 
that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, 
and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.



Yes! He has put His words in our mouth to speak His praises, and He has covered us in the shadow of His hand.  We are His people, and in Him we trust!  

If you have a minute, please write and share with me what you have been doing to pass the long winter days of January and what scriptures have blessed your heart during this season. 

Sharing love and the Lord's richest blessings to all of you, my precious readers! 


24 comments

  1. Hasn't January passed by so quickly.
    Here in the UK we have been in lockdown and not able to see family or friends.
    We have found it best to keep our days occupied, and thankfully there always seems plenty to do.
    The winter months are all about warm comforting foods ... stews, casseroles and soups.

    With only a few days of January left, I wish you a good weekend and a happy February :)
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a mild winter too, which doesn't bother me a bit! Your photos are beautiful as usual. I'm jealous you can go out to eat. We are still on lock down in Michigan.
    Your tiramisu looks yummy and I may have to try homemade tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear Marilyn! Beautiful photos as usual and the food looks delicious! You were lucky to be able to actually go out and "in" a restaurant to eat! Ours have been closed up.. I noticed that one has opened though, so hubby and I will be heading there soon! I have been passing the days paper crafting mostly, or just being lazy.. have done some dessert baking as it is such a comfort on a gray day. We have had a mild winter too! We have had about 3 light snows.. one was about 4 inches and the others only 1-2 inches. Earlier in January, we had some 60 and 65 degree days and sunshine! I thought spring had sprung! I was out in the yard doing cleanup and pruning and felt like I wanted to plant some flowers! but in January??? no no no.. too early. I find myself worrying alot about our nation and government, and when I do, I just tell myself "Let Go and Let God"... I have said that MANY times over and over again when I become too anxious about it all, plus the virus, etc. That is my mantra, over and over again and it does help. I let myself (give myself permission to) quit worrying about things and just give it over to God. That mantra is my salvation right now! Take care and keep on a baking! hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot that just over the border restaurants are still open to eat inside! Our son and DIL went to the White House for their first anniversary. What a memory. The water pump on the car went out just before the I-90 exit for the restaurant. Crystal jumped out and helped Jamie push the car off the interstate in her fancy dress and heels! I've never been there but have driven by many, many times and the garlic smell almost lured me in.
    It sure has been a mild winter here so far hasn't it? And the next week looks much the same. With living in the RV, I've been relieved it hasn't been severe. Yet we've had a LOT of rain for moisture at least down here in the foothills. I was really a bit worried about a lot of snow while living here and I feel God has heard my prayers.
    Your torilla recipe sounds yummy. We eat a lot of tortillas so I will have to give them a try. Do they keep or do you need to eat them right away?
    We've ordered a "POD" to move our belongings in September. It sounds like a long time away but I know that time goes quickly. I'm so ready to move home and begin our life there. I'm going to miss our beloved mountains and everything about our area, but to be close to family is so exciting.
    Take care my dear friend.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to have lunch with friends, always a good time! All your pictures are so pretty, must be because you live is such a pretty place!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you've been able to get out and about, Marilyn. We are still stuck here due to the Covid, and haven't eaten out since February of last year. Husband, Danny, has gotten his first vaccine, but I'm still waiting to hear when I can get one. Waiting is so difficult at times, but I am hopeful and leaning upon God at this time of uncertainty.
    Loved your gorgeous photos, as always!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a mild winter here as well to my great relief. Life is easier for me in mild winters and is hard in rough ones.

    Beautiful photos of your corner and those mountains. I admire your walking five miles a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like such a fun way to spent time with friends, getting to taste all that good food! I just love the photo beneath the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally have been very happy with our mild winter so far. Just need to get through February now! Your home made tiramisu looks awesome and the food from that restaurant looks delicious. They are finally opening restaurants for indoor seating around her on February 1st. Your words and pictures are beautiful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try the tortillas. The photo of the red barn and the blue sky is gorgeous. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Locked down here in England, which is a kind of relief, as we hope the dreadful virus will gradually lose its grip.
    You certainly have had some snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this winter has been different . We have very little snow and really need more to replenish the water in the lakes in spring. it has also not been very cold, at least not yet. I have been working on my diamond painting and trying to organize my many pictures. it seems that God gives me verses from day to day that encourages and lift me up. He is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you believe we've eaten at the White House. It's been over a year and we still smell like garlic, LOL. We loved it and it might be time to go again when we travel south to do some shopping in Spokane Valley and head a little farther east to Idaho. Love the look of those homemade tortillas! Happy end of January to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in BC we're very restricted where we can go and who we can be with so the winter has dragged on. I'm looking forward to Spring!!
    I love Baklava and although I don't think I've had TiraMisu (Sp.?) I'd probably love that too. I think I'll be trying the tortilla recipe as well. Lots of time to create in the kitchen these days.
    I hope you get some decent snowfall so you can enjoy cross country skiing before winter turns to spring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very mild Winter here too, I feel our dear Lord has been looking after us all so that everyone is still able to get out for a walk. I have been working my way through the Psalms this January, they have been a delight to revisit like old friends. Your tiramisu looks delicious, I make it without alcohol too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Winter has DEFINITELY NOT been a disappointment to us here in eastern New York. hahah....I LOVE that we've had a mild winter....makes the commute in to the classroom so much easier...and I can still walk outdoors in some of the local preserves. I love the Mountains and of course hike from about may-mid-novemeber but this winter I've been able to get a couple of hikes in due to the diminished accumulation of snow. I love it!!

    That Greek restaurant sounds and looks amazing!!

    Love all the scriptures you've posted.

    Nice blog!! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such wonderful pictures and heartwarming to my soul. Those pictures of yummy food and treats are making me hungry! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. So thankful to visit with you today, sweet friend. Your food looks amazing! It is quite scary how the phones listen in to conversations, to be honest. I just saw in a video how we are all being monitored and recorded through phones, tvs, etc. Scary stuff, for sure. What a weird, disturbing world we do live in! Sending much love to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh baklava! It's been years since I indulged. What a delicious treat to share with friends ... a perfect January afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I always enjoy your posts. Your photos are fantastic, as always. I had to chuckle about the chickens. Our five hens are doing well. We are in for a cold week ahead. This will be the first of several days of very cold weather. -27 is the low for Sunday night. They are healthy and happy, so I pray they will get past this cold time with no problem.

    Thank you for the encouragement, I always appreciate the scripture you share. Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post made me hungry. :)

    I absolutely love the picture of the red barn and that strikingly blue sky! And the sunsets, and that road photo! I have dozens of road pictures, taken from the passenger seat as we've driven around this country. I even found some return address labels that were road pictures. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've had a very mild winter here, too, and I wish we would get a blast of snow. Wonderful photos from your corner of the world. Cooking on a chilly day is a good way to make yourself, and your family happy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I keep hearing about The White House and how good it is but I have yet to try it! We may have to plan on that for our weekly date night soon! :)

    I am looking forward to our temps getting nice and cold next week! Once March arrives I'll be ready for spring to arrive. I am just now starting to think about what I want to grow in my garden this year.

    I am going to try your tortilla recipe! I bet they taste amazing! I wonder if they are freezable? I would make up a huge batch and freeze some if they freeze well.

    Blessings to you Marilyn!

    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini