NORTHERN LIGHTS!

Monday, November 8, 2021


Our area has been blessed in the last month to have a chance three times to see the Northern Lights. Each time, the lights have been barely visible to the natural eye, but because the lens of a camera is so sensitive to light, the lights are able to be easily seen through a  camera lens. 



I wanted to share with you some of the pictures I've captured recently. I can tell you this... now I can't keep looking at the night sky and wondering if we will see the Northern Lights! Apparently we are moving into a more "busy" season with the aurora borealis, as the sun every 11 years or so, goes through a cycle of having solar flares. That season won't fully happen until 2025, but there is more activity happening now with the sun. 



I will share the little bit of research that I have done about the northern lights, and what astronomers and scientists have come to believe about them as simply as I can. 


Northern lights have been documented in writings as far back as King Nebuchadnezzar's time when his astronomer wrote about the northern lights. 


I believe the Bible mentions the Northern Lights in this passage. 


Psalm 19:1-5 The heavens declare the glory of God; 
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Day unto day uttereth speech, 
and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
There is no speech nor language, 
where their voice is not heard.
Their line is gone out through all the earth, 
and their words to the end of the world. 
In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun.

In this passage, it says "their line is gone out through all the earth".  One of the amazing characteristics of the Northern Lights is the lines that dance in the skies with brilliant and spectacular colors. In fact, when viewing the Northern Lights closer to the poles of the earth (north and south), the magnetic action taking place can even be heard!

 

Scientists believe that the lights are produced by magnetic particles that are emitted from the sun. The sun is constantly emitting magnetic particles toward the earth. However, there are cycles when the sun has solar storms, and these particles are created in increasing numbers. When the particles from the solar storms come into contact with the magnetic forces from the north and south poles of the earth, these solar particles are drawn to the poles in waves and forms. These solar-energized gaseous particles collide together in the magnetic areas of earth (north and south poles) in the skies to create the incredible waves, lines, and forms that can be seen when conditions are right. Sometimes, only cameras can pick up the action, but the closer you are to the poles of the earth, the easier it is with the natural eye to pick up these magnetic collisions of color. 



On October 11, just as I was getting ready for bed, I looked out the north-facing kitchen window and thought the sky had an odd glow to it. I went outside and took a picture with my camera, and to my incredible surprise, I realized it was the northern lights taking place. It was a really cold night, and the stars were dancing in the skies too! It was such an exhilarating experience to be outside where it was completely dark, yet so bright with all the colors from the northern lights, and the brilliance of the stars. 


Never in my life had I experienced such a heavenly experience in the skies! 



Soon after, on October 30, there was a new solar storm that took place on the sun, and the possibility existed for our area to glimpse the lights again.  However, despite all the hopes of so many people in our area (some traveled hours to come to our area to see the lights), the lights were only visible to us right at dusk, and again at dawn.  



On the night of November 3, I was returning home from bible study when I noticed the sky again had a green glow off to the north. However, we were experiencing heavy fog and rain. When I got home, I tried to take a few pictures and realized that because of the heavy fog up on our mountain, it was going to be impossible for me to see the lights clearly. However, maybe you have seen others around the northern hemisphere who were able to capture incredible glimpses of the lights that night. 



Below I will share more of the images that I was able to capture. 




A very slight glimpse of the milky way in the skies. 

The stars in the skies were like millions of diamonds twinkling, just amazing to see!


There were so many shooting stars in the skies that night!

The glow of the northern lights through the fog created a rather eerie sky scene!

Northern lights reflect their colors through the fog.




Scientists say the sun is in a cycle now with the possibility of more solar storms.  I look forward with great anticipation for another chance to see the northern lights in action. The best time to see the lights is from September to March when there is a new moon, and no cloud cover. Our next new moon phase will be on December 4. I will be watching the skies with great anticipation, hoping for a chance to see this incredible sight again :) 




39 comments

  1. Oh, WOW!!!! I would love to see these in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon :) Blessings to you Sandi!

      Delete
  2. And another Wow from me. Your photos are incredibly beautiful. I can only imagine experiencing this event first hand. I do remember a few times down through the years that the Northern Lights were visible even this far south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon :) Thank you for your visit and kind comment :)

      Delete
  3. Breathtaking ... just absolutely breathtaking! What a great job you do of capturing this wonder!!! My nephew and his family live in Kodiak, AK, and they've been enjoying this glorious display of God's handiwork, too! Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon :) How wonderful that your nephew and his family get to experience these lights, they are truly amazing! Thanks for your visit Denise, I appreciate it very much :)

      Delete
  4. Your photos are wonderful. What a gorgeous sight. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon :) Blessings to you Debbie, I appreciate your visit very much :)

      Delete
  5. Any experience of the Northern Lights is thrilling. You were so fortunate to see them several times. Great photos, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon :) Blessings to you Marie!

      Delete
  6. Your photos are truly amazing, Marilyn, and I so enjoyed your sharing about what causes the Norther Lights. I never knew!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon Martha. I was quite amazed when I did the research on the lights too! Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your faithful visits to my blog :)

      Delete
  7. WOw...i just love seeing these photos! and thanks for the wonderful explanation of the northern lights. My husband and I want to go on an Alaskan Cruise some June and I would LOVE to experience the Northern Lights. Don't think you can see them out here in Eastern NYS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Faith, it was such a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon. I was quite amazed when I did the research on the lights too! Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your faithful visits to my blog :)

      Delete
  8. So impressive Marilyn. Love seeing the northern lights. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon Linda. Thank you for your faithful visits to my blog :)

      Delete
  9. Thank You for sharing these gorgeous photos and the explanation. Will try to see tehm on December fourth.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon! Thank you for your faithful visits to my blog Joan, Marion and Marilyn!

      Delete
  10. How very fortunate you were ( and are) to see the beauty of the Northern Lights. Your photos capture that beauty very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magnificent experience, one I hope to experience again soon! I was quite amazed when I did the research on the lights too! Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your faithful visits to my blog :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! I am always amazed by the pictures you post on Instagram.....they make me want to visit your beautiful state. These are phenomenal captures of the Northern Lights. I would love to see them in person. I would be happy to see so many stars! Your pictures perfectly show the glory of God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no words!!! Thank you for sharing your talent of photographs of the Northern Lights. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some good shots.I love seeing the northern lights, but often I am sound asleep when they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What gorgeous lights God created to dance in the sky. And how fortunate to be able to see and photograph them. We've seen them further north, but here in the city, it's much more difficult. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your pictures are amazing! I've only seen the Northern Lights in person once. I live in Michigan and there have been times they say we should see them, but usually they don't show up. I must admit to a bit of jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!!! I've only seen them one time and was absolutely mesmerized by them! Your photos are some of the best that I've seen at bringing out the true colors! Thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, such gorgeous scenes! The colors are amazing. Lovely photos! x K

    ReplyDelete
  18. As much as I enjoyed learning about the Northern Lights, your photos are even more amazing and spectacular. I had never associated that verse with the lights, but it does fit doesn't it? How amazing you have seen them so often. How I wish I were still there. Many times we used to watch huge storms of shooting stars at the lake when it was very dark and quiet. Thank you for this blessing Marilyn.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMAZING! You did so well capturing the beauty God has gifted us.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my goodness! This is just amazing! I am so thankful you captured all these images and shared them with us here! I have never seen such a thing. And to think that there are people who say there is no God! Only the fool could say such things! It was so wonderful to visit with you, sweet friend. Many blessings and hugs and much love to you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous and glorious! You were blessed to see them. We did not see any lights but the stars were amazing that early morning and Dear even saw a shooting star. Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you do live in a Heavenly place Marilyn! Those green lights are just amazing and stunning. What kind of camera do you use? I need a new one that will take night photos.. yours are always just beautiful. We've finally had some rain here and most leaves have fallen off the trees.. winter is on its way! xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing! Those colors are so gem-like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, breath taking pictures. So dreamy.

    Bernie,
    The Style Fanatic

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marilyn, I've always wanted to se the Northern Lights in person. Your photos are spectacular. And what a sight to see the shining stars along with it. What a special place you live in. And a wonderful sight, indeed. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Enjoy the holiday season.

    ~Sheri

    *thank you for your bigger font on your posts also. I can read your lovely words better now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that is truly amazing! So beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. You are really blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, wow! Such beautiful photos you were able to capture! I was told that I might be able to see the northern lights where I live recently (which is unusual since I'm not that far north), but was a little disappointed that I was unable to. I did not know the camera would pick up the colors more clearly! That is a nice thing to know! I was able to see the Northern Lights only one time before when I was in Canada for a visit. If I ever see them again, I'll know to go ahead and try taking a picture even if they're not very bright. :) Thank you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your photographs are fabulous, a wonderful sight.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh, what a glorious creation He's showered on us!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini