Thanksgiving Trip and December Blessings

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Hello dear friends! I am sorry for my extended absence from the blog.   We took a 2-week trip over Thanksgiving to visit our family in Texas.  I want to share some of our pictures with you.  It was such a wonderful trip in every way, and I'm grateful for every precious moment we got to spend with our loved ones. It has taken me a bit of time to go through my pictures to share them with you :) 


My husband and I like to road trip together, as there are so many more things you can see and enjoy as you travel. It does take longer, but it is more about the journey experienced together. My husband is a seasoned truck driver, and so that makes it very nice for me because he loves to drive. I did do some of the driving as well, but he did the vast majority of the driving, while I .... took pictures... ha! Many of these pictures are through the windshield, but we also would stop and get out as well. 


So beware... this is a rather long post... a cup of coffee or tea with a lovely treat would be nice to enjoy as you scroll through the pictures, and virtually travel with us :) 

The Lord blessed us with clear roads for the ENTIRE trip!
We left home, just as a wild winter storm rolled in.
The storm clouds were amazing to see, and we were glad we were not driving in those clouds! 


In the Palouse prairie, there were many old buildings such as these,
which had weathered many storms. 


The Idaho State Police were having an academy graduation at the Capitol, so we got to see all the wonderful young men who were so willing to serve our great state! We thanked them for their service. 


Idaho State Capitol


All the state police cars lined up in front of the Capitol. 

All the State policemen graduating from the academy
entering the Capitol for the ceremony. 


Dan and I inside the Capitol. Other than the state police officers, it was just us inside the building! We wandered the halls completely alone,
and we were able to peacefully enjoy it all. 

Looking upward - so beautiful! 

Looking out a second-floor window towards the city of Boise. 


We left Boise and headed to Twin Falls where we crossed the
 incredible Perrine Memorial Bridge. This is VERY flat country, and as you drive, you cannot see the river until you begin to cross the bridge.
Then you look down into this immense cavern ~
it is just hard to explain how huge this bridge and cavern is! 


We pulled into a lookout area just past the bridge. 


Oh my! My heart and stomach were in jitters. There were parachute base jumpers jumping off the bridge as we watched! I was able to quickly catch these images with my zoom lens. There is no way I could ever do such a thing! 

Could you do this? My hat's off to you  - and anyone -
who would attempt such a feat!!! 

We then drove to see Shoshone Falls. That was incredible to see... the mighty Snake River falls over these rocks, and is called the Niagra Falls of the west.  The falls measure 212 feet tall and are 900 feet wide.  Shoshone Falls is known to be one of the largest natural waterfalls in the United States
surpassing the height of the famous Niagara Falls

From Twin Falls, we drove on to Moab, Utah where we spent the night. Early the next morning we began our tour of Zion National Park, The Arches. It was truly magnificent! We saw SO many incredible rock formations, each of them so amazing, and unique. Around every corner and bend of the park is something new and amazing to see.  

You can't even begin to imagine how large these rocks are. From a distance they look big... but once you get out and hike up to them... they are immense! 



















I think you see the joy in our faces in this picture. We were having the best time! Just the most incredible views, and too much to see in the short amount of time we had. Yet, we got to see so much, and just felt incredibly amazed at the handiwork of our Lord in this park! 




I had packed homemade sourdough bread from home, along with fresh fruit. We brought a cooler for snacks and picnics like this. So we stopped and enjoyed a lovely lunch.  (For those of you with "eagle eyes" who may spot that apple cider vinegar bottle - no we weren't drinking apple cider vinegar (ha!) I make my own kombucha, and I reuse bottles to store my kombucha in :) 

We visited a local park in Moab where this beautiful bridge
crosses the Colorado River. 



We saw this blue heron fishing just below the bridge. 

Such a beautiful place. We enjoyed our quick visit to Moab so much. This is an area where you could spend days exploring to your heart's content! Incredible :)  

Soon it was time to continue our journey to Texas. 

We drove for several hours until we reached Albuquerque, New Mexico. 

The next morning we drove to my parent's home,
and enjoyed a happy reunion there with my family.
The next day Mom prepared a wonderful meal for us!


She and I in the kitchen... a place we both love to be :) 

The next day we picked up our rental RV. We rented an RV from rvshare.com
and drove it to our campsite. 

On the roads of beautiful Texas hill country! 


Set up at our campsite.  We were going to camp with family for Thanksgiving. 


The next day... it was time to par-tee! Yes! My husband's mom will turn 80 this year,
and we celebrated this milestone with her and the rest of the family. 


What a milestone this is! And how happy we were
to be there to help her celebrate :) 

We enjoyed the evenings around a campfire with the family, special times! 

Campfire chili... the best there is! 

Breakfast on the grill, cooked outside... I brought my homemade sourdough bread to share, and everyone enjoyed it with our meals. 

My husband's oldest brother loves to cook, and here he is
fixing us some fried potatoes and onions. 

Campfire food always tastes the best!

We enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal outside.
The turkey was roasted in a large roasting pan, 
and we all cooked the sides and desserts in our campers.
It was delicious! 

One day we went to visit Fredericksburg, Texas. Such a beautiful town! 


The Christmas Tree in the town square. 


Soon it was time to pack up, and return the RV. We spent the next night with my sister. She and her husband had an amazing display of lights that they had put up! 

I can't imagine how many hours it took for my brother-in-law to make this winter wonderland scene come to life!

My sister and I  :) Nothing like sister time! 

My sister and I with their precious children. How we loved the light experience! 

Goodbyes are always hard. Got this picture with the girls before they left for school. 

We traveled to visit the hill country of Texas, and what a beautiful Fall day it was!
Yes, it is still really Fall in Texas :) Well, we technically still are in the season of "Fall" everywhere I suppose, but it does still feel like it in Texas, ha! 

We watched this blue heron fishing. This was the second time on our
trip that we enjoyed watching a blue heron! 


Then we made our way to Cooper's BBQ, one of our favorite places to eat. 

Oh the choices! Their meat is smoked outside, and you just tell the server what you want and he cuts it off for you. You bring it inside
and gather up your sides cafeteria-style. 

Enjoying our BBQ... yum! 


Our time in Texas had come to a close, and it was hard
saying our goodbyes to our parents and families. 


Our view of west Texas... for miles and miles! 

North of Albuquerque, the landscape begins to change
and becomes more interesting. 

From the road, we see these natural rock arches. So much to see! 


The setting sun on the mountainous horizon was amazing to see. 


We stopped in a tiny Idaho town to get a meal. I was just expecting a good hamburger, but we saw they offered brisket on the menu, and so we tried it. Oh my! It was amazing! 

If you are ever in New Meadows, Idaho, you would enjoy a meal at The Intersection! We highly recommend them, the food and service was wonderful! 

The Little Snake River follows the highway down the mountainside,
and we stopped at several roadside turnoffs to enjoy the beautiful waterfalls! 

This was the last day of our trip. What a wonderful time we had. 

Spectacular scenery abounded in every direction. 



We stopped at several roadside parks to enjoy the majestic views. 


Late that evening, we arrived home. All the animals were so glad to see us!  

That night, a snowstorm rolled in, and the next morning we took our daily walk in the snow. The dogs couldn't have been happier! 


The girls had been busy while we were gone...
I had lots of eggs that had been gathered for me by my dear neighbor. 


The world is so quiet and still under the blanket of snow.
Winter is a time of rest and peace for us. 


There is such beauty of the snow as it falls, as I watch out my windows, it is so gentle and calming.  It is like we are in a living snowglobe here! 


Truly the sights and excitements of travel thrill our hearts... 
but there is really no place like coming home, and
taking our daily walks and enjoying the beauty around us. 


The golden late afternoon light as it falls onto the trees brings joy to my heart. 
Home... there is no better place to be! 

I hope you enjoyed this little pictorial journey with us as we traveled to Texas. It was a wonderful trip in every way, and we are so thankful for all the memories we made along the way.  Life is truly a beautiful thing when you walk with the Lord, and you realize that each day is a blessing, a joy, and to be thankful for every breath, for every beautiful thing the Lord gifts your eyes and heart with, and to walk with HIM knowing that as you go, He is with you.  We prayed for clear roads before we left, and we had clear roads the entire trip. We felt the presence of the Lord with us, as there were a couple of situations on the roadways that could have turned out differently, but the hand of the Lord kept us safe. 


And now as we are in this most incredible season of all, celebrating the birth of our Lord, I pray that the light of His presence and life in this world come to rest in your hearts and homes this season. May the LIGHT of the world light up your world as we seek to remember the ONE who this season is really all about. May HE receive all the glory, praise, and honor for the greatest gift ever given to mankind... the gift of His coming to earth. How blessed we are that the great GOD in heaven who created the universe that we live in, sought out relationship with each one of us, and the purpose and desire of His heart was to have relationship with us.



 

Merry Christmas to all of you, and may the presence of the Lord be with you in a sweet way throughout the remainder of this season of celebrating our Lord's birth! 

27 comments

  1. Oh, my, Marilyn, what an amazing journey you took! I absolutely loved all the photos, and felt that I was right there with you. Nothing better than being with family during the holidays; we spent Thanksgiving with the grands in NC, and I'm still floating on the air of memories made.
    May your Christmas be filled with joy and peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an incredible trip Martha, we are so thankful we drove and enjoyed the sights along the way. I'm so thankful to hear that you had such a special time with your family too! Memories made are so very precious! Merry Christmas, and God's best to you and your family in the New Year!

      Delete
  2. You took such beautiful pictures on your trip Marilyn. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your family and that God granted you safety and wonderful memories of the trip. Several photos are of places we have visited in the past before we moved back to the midwest.
    I'm wishing you a wonderful Christmss, celebrating our Saviours birth.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy! We had such a wonderful trip. Spending time with family is precious these days! I loved your Christmas card, thank you so much. Prayers you have a blessed and very special Christmas! We got another 8" of snow overnight! Wow. We have gotten a LOT of snow so far this winter :) Merry Christmas to you and Dennis!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful trip you had! You sure saw some beautiful country. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend, I appreciate your kind comment. We had a wonderful trip! Merry Christmas and God's best to you for the New Year :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this lovely post. I enjoyed hearing about your experiences and seeing the beautiful scenery. Great pictures some brought back memories of our trip to the Grand Canyon and Zion years ago. So nice that the snowstorm held off until you arrived back home.
    Have a blessed Christmas with your dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a wonderful trip, we were so thankful to have had such a good time there and back. Merry Christmas and God's best for the New Year for you and your family!

      Delete
  5. Marilyn, I loved going on your trip with you! I did actually got get my chai tea and some cookies to enjoy while I traveled with you! Those pictures in Utah are amazing! That is one place I would love to go. I was there once many years ago, but I've forgotten how majestic it all is in person! And your Texas Thanksgiving campout.. now how neat is that? What a fun way to celebrate with family! I loved the hills and plains, and the hill country, but as you got towards home, I just felt such a sigh of relief, and calming, to see the mountains, trees and snow! There's just nothing like it! Be safe, be warm, be cozy, and eat a piece of that sourdough bread for me (since I can't eat it with gluten allergies)!! That is the one thing I really miss, sourdough bread! Take care.. hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I'm glad you enjoyed some tea and cookies with my post. I just love that thought :) We did have such a wonderful trip, I just praise the Lord for granting us such a blessed time. And yes, the closer we got to home, the happier I felt. We just live in such a special place. I hope someday you can visit. :) And I understand how hard it is to struggle with the gluten! I tried it for a while, and finally figured out it wasn't gluten I was having struggles with, but yeast. I do better with natural leavening such as sourdough or baking soda/baking powder leavening. I'm thankful for that! Wishing you a blessed and very special Christmas and praying that the Lord comforts your heart with His presence during this difficult season for you!

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your photos and these are exceptional. A few years ago we visited Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce - all so very beautiful! Your camping time looks wonderful too - and back home is beautiful in another way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari... we didn't get to visit Bryce, and would love to visit the Grand Canyon. Someday we will :) It is all such beautiful country! And always good to be back home! Merry Christmas and God's best for the New Year for you and your family!

      Delete
  7. What an amazing road trip and with clear roads, woohoo! We want to make our way south through Idaho and Utah and take in the National Parks in Utah on our next road trip. So good to spend Thanksgiving with family. So many beautiful photos to enjoy. Oh boy I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Colville and we have temps dipping below zero coming. Brrr.... A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw those polar temps coming too... yikes! We got 8" of snow last night... we are having a wonderful year of snow, which we need, so thankful! Yes, its a great road trip south... good roads, and amazing scenery. We love Utah! Merry Christmas to you and your family, and God's best for the New Year :)

      Delete
  8. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Christmas
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweet ladies! I appreciate your faithful kind and precious comments! Wishing all of you a blessed Christmas, and God's best for the New Year!

      Delete
  9. Oh, how I enjoyed traveling along with you via pictures! I loved reading about your trip and seeing all the amazing sights you saw! The photos are just stunning, as always. You are so gifted, dear friend. I trust the Lord will bless you with a wonderful Christmas season. I got your sweet email and will answer you soon. Sending much love to you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so thankful for the blessed trip that the Lord gave us, we give Him praise and thanks for that. It was wonderful in every way. With much love to you dear friend, you are always in my thoughts and prayers! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and God's Best for the New Year!

      Delete
  10. A beautiful trip with incredible scenery, delicious food and the love of family. What could be better! Thank you for sharing all the beauty. Wishing you and your loved ones a beautiful Christmas and many blessings in the coming new year. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, it was such a beautiful time, and we are so grateful for the Lord's care over us throughout the whole trip. Wishing you and your family a Blessed Christmas, and God's best for the New Year!

      Delete
  11. There is so much beauty and love in this post. Wonderful photos, Marilyn. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! I appreciate your wonderful comments so much, a blessing! Wishing you a blessed and Merry Christmas, and God's best for the New Year!

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas!
    What a fun post... your photos are just amazing.
    I love the nativity scene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, Marilyn, I enjoyed every single picture! Such amazing scenery and landscapes and clouds, and just all beautiful --God's creation! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. Would have loved to have seen all of that. So glad you are back home safe and sound and ready for Christmas. May the Lord bless your Christmas with peace and joy, and have a very Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photo, Marilyn, thank you for sharing your journey with us. Parts of America I haven't seen. Stay warm and safe with all your snow up there! May God Blessings be with you and your family this coming New Year! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. what gorgeous pics of states I have never been to (NO interest in Texas but definitely wanna get out to Idaho and Utah for some hiking!). Once I retire from teaching I hope to travel with my husband when HE Retires......must be so nice to have all that time!! Thanks for the great journey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip here, your photographs were lovely to see.

    Belated Christmas Wishes, and my good wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2022.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini