Easter Week Thoughts

Monday, April 3, 2023

Have you ever experienced a flash of light so bright that it left your eyesight darkened to the point of momentary blindness? You may have experienced it when a flashlight shone into your eyes, or the bright flash of a camera taking pictures caused your vision to blacken for a moment.  

When a bright light shines into your eyes it will blur your vision so that all else seems dark. 

I walk early every morning, often just as the sun has risen.  One morning recently, the sun's rays shone so brilliantly as I walked that I had to squint my eyes and I could hardly see.  It was a blessing to enjoy the sunshine but I was rather uncomfortable as the light was so bright that it darkened the rest of the world around me.  Suddenly, I became very aware of the Lord speaking to my heart, and when I got home, I began to write this little piece... 



Darkest Light So Bright 

Walking in the sunlight
Brilliant streams of radiance
Warmth wraps my heart
Joy sings in my darkness. 
 
Shining splendor variant
Spliced into timeless flight
Cherished in the heartbeat
My soul lingers in its delight.
 
Spring sunshine in spite
of cool rain at night
I long to stay in this
beaming wand of light so finite. 

Walking onward, forward
Through the dancing sleeves
Light flows now freely
Echos of winter soon to leave.

 Yes, walk on I must
Forever storing its bliss
Deep in my heart's bed
A sweet soul's kiss!


That morning as I walked directly into the bright streams of sunshine, the light was so bright that I couldn't see anything else! Squinting, even though I was wearing sunglasses, still the light so blinded my sight that each step I took was by faith, surely not by sight! 



The light was so bright that in an instant it became a source of darkness - I could not see! Its warmth I felt, the beauty around unseen for my eyes were in darkness.  

Squinting my eyes towards the source, the sun's brilliant beams - the SON's voice spoke gently to my heart - "When you will see me, it is like this light - you cannot see anything but me. I am the LIGHT so bright that all else will become darkness."  

My mind pondered this, and then I asked "How then can I walk Lord?" 


In that small voice of quiet knowing, I heard 
"You must walk by faith, 
you trust my light, 
and walk in your darkness.  
Soon though, my Hand 
will shade the light 
Then you will then see and understand." 

My mind now began to understand indeed! To walk in His light means I will walk my own reality of darkness - for His light blinds all else. I thought of Paul who was stricken because of the light of Christ upon him so that he was blind for three days.  I thought of Daniel who saw a great vision and fell down as dead, because the light was so bright. I thought of Moses who had been in the presence of the Lord, whose countenance was so full of light, that the Israelites could not look upon Him. I thought of Jesus, transfigured on the mountain, so full of light that Peter, James and John could not look upon Him. 

The Light of the world, so bright, that it caused instant darkness. 

And so it is - we long to see and to know the One who is the Light of the Word, but when He shines His light into our hearts, that light so bright often darkens our own reality, and we feel blinded, walking in darkness, and then learning to trust.  

Isn't this where we are today - we are walking in a light so bright, so powerful, so magnificent that we can only see the darkness? Nothing makes sense, other than we know in whom we have believed... and that someday His great Hand will come and shadow the light so we can see once again.  This is a safe place, walking in His light, trusting in the darkness.  His presence comes to us sweet with joy so tender, and with moments of splendor! 

Yes, the hour is dark, and His light is bright... I don't understand.  Yet, as long as we wait in the palm of His great hand, the shadow of His presence will soon make all things clear, and then we will see fully, we will know that the precious glow of light divine has kept us safe from every broken choice, that light so constant that even in our darkness, soon we will be able to see in the shadow, a truth that we will hallow.  

Thank you Lord for breaking the ground fallow
So that my heart will earnestly travel
Trusting you Lord in Your Light
Trusting you Lord, in my night
Wherever your hand leads
My soul follows in delight
Your promise never fails
Your truth, it will prevail
I trust you Lord in my night,
I trust you Lord in Your light. 



Today - because the One who brought us this beautiful light into the world over 2000 years ago, that Light still shines so brightly, and though we often feel we are in the darkness, I pray that the shadow of His hand would dispel the darkness so that we could fully see what He has prepared for us. The world as we look upon it today grows more fearsome by the moment. The tragedies wrap our hearts in grave despair, and we wonder, is there hope anywhere? 


If in this world we had hope only, we would of all men be most miserable! But as we look upon the magnificence of His creation, and we walk in the light of His countenance, and breathe the air that He has created for our bodies to live, we can know that our Creator who designed this universe from its smallest particle to greatest, is not worried, not in the least. 

Perhaps, even His heart beats in anticipation of the day that surely is soon to come, when the hope of all mankind will turn to the only One who can save our world from destroying itself. Our hope is in Jesus. He came as a baby, a lamb, a quiet, humble servant, and overturned death, hell, sin and the grave with His triumphant resurrection from the dead.  We celebrate His victory this week as we remember the events that led to His death on the cross, His burial in a earthen tomb, and His resurrection on that morning. 

The plan of God put into action, is still unfolding today. We must await its careful precise timing... just as we await the birth of a baby chick emerging from its shell, and as we await the unfolding of the rose from its bud. We cannot hurry the process along but must wait in patience. 

And while storms may come unannounced with sudden and bleak outcomes - we must still trust.  We are walking in His light, which causes our eyes to be in darkness.  But soon... triumphantly very soon, we will know Him as He is, and all memory of things endured in this life will pass away.  Yes... soon, I do believe it will be soon! 

As we remember the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord throughout this week, may your heart be blessed to know that we are walking in His light, which in turn seems so dark to us, for a season... but soon the shadow of His hand will arrive, and shade our eyes so that we can fully understand just what He is doing. 

I hope this has encouraged your heart in this Easter season.  I recently put together an Easter Medley video, and I hope that the music encourages your heart! With blessings and love to all of you, I wish you a blessed week of remembering the work Jesus did for us on Calvary and His Resurrection on Easter Sunday. 















20 comments

  1. Dearest Marilyn,
    I heartily thank you for posting such inspiring words and images for this so important period of the year for us believers.
    Sending blessings on your Holy Week and on your Easter!
    Hugs and more hugs to you
    Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Dani for your lovely visit, and prayers that you have a beautiful Easter season as well!

      Delete
  2. The “light” can be a tremendous comfort! Beautiful reflection, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marie! May your Easter be full of His light and love!

      Delete
  3. Marilyn that is a beautiful poem and message. Truly touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary! May the sweet blessings of the Lord be with you over Easter!

      Delete
  4. Marilyn, I just watched the movie of Paul last night, so I was thinking of that with the words you wrote on your post today. Your poem is lovely. Jesus is the light of the world. It's that simple, and in this world, we can only find true peace with Him.

    Happy Easter to you, Marilyn.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the Paul movie, sounds wonderful! So thankful for the Light of His love! May the rich blessings of the Lord be with you over Easter!

      Delete
  5. What a tremendous blessing to walk with Jesus along life’s journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn, thank you so much for this post. What a beautiful poem! I struggle with trusting the Lord in the darkness, but I know that He is always with me. And one day all tears will be wiped away and there will always be joy.
    Beautiful pictures as well as the video! God bless and keep you,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and yours a Blessed,joyous and Happy Easter. God Bless
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. The LORD has indeed blessed you with so much talent for writing dear Marilyn. Thank you for this beautiful message for Easter. This world is indeed a dark place and we need to always keep our eyes open for His coming. I'm praying that the Lord blesses you and your family mightily this Easter. Thank you for always giving us such encouraging words.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Marilyn,
    Wow, you certainly have magical skies and that is easy for touching ones soul...
    Your video is also full of incredible images!
    May this Holy Week continue to be meaningful to you and to lots of others.
    Our entire nation needs to turn (back) to the Light!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my such a beautiful poem you have written, I just love how God speaks to us through his creation! Gorgeous photo's. May our hope, comfort and peace come from him as we await resurrection morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful Easter post, sweet friend. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I love and appreciate you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I left a comment and it has disappeared ... perhaps it is in spam folder!?

    Sending my good wishes for a Happy Easter.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful response in prose to your light encounter. So much to think about during this week of remembrance on all that transpired so many years ago. Amazing. So thankful. Thank you, too, for your thoughts. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it was beyond beautiful sharing dear Marilyn!
    while reading tears kept rising and falling from my eyes as your description of light and how it's brightness blinded you for seconds was really exquisite and heart warming !
    you have gift to say things so conveniently indeed. and i agree and i too realize that sharp and bright light blinds us for a while and we cannot see any other thing but darkness only .
    this can be put on both ways . on the one hand light of faith enlighten us from within and we are able to see more deeply and clearly and nothing worldly stuff or dark emotion has power to blind us .
    on the other hand same applies to the dark emotions and negative energy that if once dominates our being we are completely blind to everything else to every goodness around us .and what other punishment can be more dangerous that our souls are dipped into the dark well of flitty emotions and we are caged in it forever for focusing on wrong things .
    i loved your divine poetry too my friend:)
    Happy Easter and more happiness and peace to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a powerful post!!! you are such a good poet, and convey your feelings and thoughts so well. I am so glad I came here. Before I even read it, I thought your experience was likened to Paul's! You were so blessed!! The world really seems to be getting more and more evil as time goes on. What would we do without the hope of Jesus? Your photos are amazing, it looks like a fire in the distance! God's marvelous art. Blessings from The Blue Ridge Mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to come and re-read this after I read it last week. Your poem is so beautiful and touching.. and goes so well with your stunning and wonderful bright photos! I could almost feel myself being blinded by His light. I really think you need to put this poem with one of your photos on this post, and hang it on your wall. It is just so poignant and a reminder to us who do walk in some darkness, and need to be reminded of His light. This was all in all, a heartfelt and very deep and meaningful post. You do have such a way with words! I hope your Easter was glorious! I'm sure it was in Texas! Hugs.. Marilyn J.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini