Fly High, Dad!

Friday, July 14, 2023

On Friday morning, June 9th my Dad passed away unexpectedly on his front porch at their home in Texas.  I remember where I was standing in the house when Dan called me. Dan was working down in Texas at the time, and he had just backed our semi into their yard and brought in his luggage. Dad stood up to open the door for him, as he sat on the front porch during the early morning hours when it was cooler.  Dan went inside, dropped his luggage, and came back outside to sit and visit Dad.  But, Dad was slumped over in his chair, and despite EMS arriving within 2 minutes of Dan's call, they were not able to revive him. He passed quickly, peacefully into the arms of Jesus without any of us getting a chance to say goodbye. Our hearts were broken. 


Dan called to tell me Dad was unresponsive, and they were working on him. I knew in my heart he was gone, but we all prayed desperately for the Lord to touch him one more time. It was not to be so.  I quickly made airline reservations to fly out that afternoon and arrived in Texas late that night. My Dad was gone - gone from this earth to his heavenly home, and reunion with his loved ones in heaven, gone to rest in the arms of Jesus. 


The loss of him in our lives though - this is what we mourn. This is why we grieve and cry. I'll never hear my Dad's voice again, this side of heaven.  But he lives on in my heart, his words, his love, his presence, what he meant to all who knew him! 

The last picture of Dad and I together, on Easter Sunday morning of this year when
we went to church together. 


Dad loved classic cars and cowboy hats and enjoyed a good visit at Buc-ees.  If you are from Texas, you know what Buc-ees is - if not - if you ever get to Texas, you need to visit this iconic convenience store. Dad loved Buc-ees! 


Dad and I on a recent visit to Buc-ees. 


Dad remained a citizen of Canada all the years after moving to Texas, but he loved the United States of America and the blessing of the freedoms it meant for all of us! 




On my last visit at Easter, Dad, Mom, and I enjoyed the day together - I took them out to eat at a quaint diner, The Twisted Fork, and we got this fun picture together. How thankful I am for these memories! 


Dad came up every summer to spend several weeks with us. 
We always ate lots and lots of huckleberry sundaes and ice cream! 


When we went for a visit at Easter, we went for a drive in Dad's old pickup.
Sweet and precious memories they are to me now! 


Ryan and Dad with Ryan's dog, Gus, went for a ride in Dad's pickup,
this was back in the early spring of this year.


Dad made it to Ryan's wedding last June, even though he had a heart attack the day before. He was in the hospital most of the time on his visit here, but he was determined not to miss the festivities! 




Dad spent several days in the hospital before being released to travel back home to Texas. This was the last picture I took with him and Mom as they left Idaho last June. 


One of the hardest things about losing Dad was not having that chance to say goodbye to him one last time. The day before in the garden, I had a long 23-minute chat with him, and we talked about a lot of things - but if I had known that would be our last conversation, I would have talked to him for hours! 


Dad and I talked daily on the phone, he called all of us children regularly, but he called me just about every day as he knew I was walking or was in the garden, and I always had time to talk.  Many of my siblings have jobs that didn't allow them that freedom. I'm so thankful for every time the phone rang and I got to hear my Dad's voice. He was my greatest cheerleader - for all of us kids. He had a hearty jolly laugh and wit and was always spot on with his advice and insights. 


On the airplane flying to Texas to be with my family, I began to write. On the first leg of my flight from Spokane to Denver, I wrote my tribute to my Dad that I shared at his funeral. Each of us 5 children spoke. It was so very special, and a beautiful going-away service for my Dad.  


On the second leg of my flight, from Denver to San Antonio, we encountered extreme turbulence in the airways. In fact, the flight attendants remained seated as did all passengers for the entire flight, and no one was even allowed to go to the bathroom for the 2+ hour-long flight. As the plane shook and rumbled in the turbulence, I began to contemplate life - much like the writer of Ecclesiastes had done. I wrote the following using my phone - as paper and pen were impossible.  It helped to keep my mind focused on what the Lord was speaking to my heart in the midst of the turbulent flight. 

TIMESTAMP 

What's in a moment of time? Why does time pass so quickly in moments of bliss and joy, yet the moment of deep sorrow and pain feels endless and relentless? 


How can the same quantity and entity of time be so different in each life? As we traverse Earth's journey one step at a time, each step can be marked with a timestamp - for one a lifetime in a moment, for others a breath too short. How do we comprehend the vast reality of time in human bodies that bear the mark of life's time journey? Some look aged and worn at 40, others at 60 still young and vibrant. Some bodies are healthy, and others struggle with health for their entire timestamp on earth. How does a blink of an eye, a moment of time transpire so quickly for one, and yet drag on with prolonged agony for another? 


In one day, in a moment, a child is born, a new life brought into this world, a cry announcing its arrival, celebrated with rejoicing - yet on that same day, in the blink of an eye, a precious loved one - gone, with sad cries of hearts broken by its loss. Gone from this earthly world - no time for goodbyes, no last words shared, no love you's to speak into hearts. Time stops in one moment, and in another, time begins.


Wrapping my mind around this reality is quite frankly, impossible. It's often called the circle of life. The writer of Ecclesiastes pondered this truth too. A time to live and a time to die... a time for all things, good and bad.


Hurts, shattered dreams, broken promises, failures - so much of what is broken in our humanity lies within a timestamp. Yet, marked also are the joys of hearing a baby's first cry, smelling the rich fragrance of garden peonies, hearing loved ones say I love you, being wrapped in the embrace of the one you love, and the delight of watching the rain drip from the skies, watering the earth, and for the joyous love of Jesus that can rinse your soul of its dirt and grime, refresh and renew under the waterspout of His grace and mercy. 


What does the timestamp of life hold? What marks the measure of time in life? 


Each of us has a different file, our own number, and our own reality. What can we fill ours with that really matters, that will be the hallmark when the timestamp seals, and is written: "Done". Will it be well done, thou good and faithful servant? Will surrendering your life to Jesus mark each moment of your life with a covering of His grace and love? Or will you endeavor and strive to make life your own, alone? 


Remember - each life has a timestamp and its length unknown.  Live each day without regrets- aware that life is not guaranteed beyond our next breath. Live with love, joy, and peace. Gather each moment of your life like a bouquet of flowers, knowing that its season can and will end, but is to be enjoyed fully in the moment. 


Don't wait another day - or for that perfect moment - instead live each and every breath of your life aware of your timestamp, it is being marked.  


Make it count. 


The day my Dad died, coincided with several big events in our family.  A great-niece was born early on the morning on June 9, 2023 hours before Dad passed.  And 73 years before, on June 9, 1950, his sister Helen Elayne was stillborn due to a doctor's error giving too much ether to my grandmother. Dad died on the day his sister would have been born, 73 years previously. When I wrote the "Timestamp" piece on the airplane, I was not aware of the date of his death coinciding with the death of his younger sister. 


I shared this verse at Dad's going away service. It sums up the beauty of his life lived. 


Ecclesiastes 3:11-15 
He has made everything beautiful in its time. 

He has also set eternity in the human heart, 
yet no one can fathom 
what God has done from beginning to end. 

I know that there is nothing better for people 
than to be happy and to do good while they live. 
That each of them may eat and drink 
and find satisfaction in all their toil—
this is the gift of God.

 I know that everything God does will endure forever; 
nothing can be added to it 
and nothing taken from it. 

God does it so that people will fear him.  
Whatever is has already been,  
and what will be has been before, 
and God will call the past to account.



One of my brothers wanted this song played for my father's slideshow. I think it shares the essence of his life, well lived, and his loss is bittersweet - I am so happy to think of him in the presence of Jesus - but I miss his presence here on earth, so very much!  

Fly high Dad - we are looking forward to the heavenly reunion that we are promised someday! 


 

 









30 comments

  1. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know words can not express how we feel when we lose someone precious but we all know how it feels. I'm keeping your family in my prayers and sending sweet hugs to you my friend. My condolences, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, your kind words, and prayers mean so very much to me! The loss of Dad's presence in my life is huge, but I am thankful for all the wonderful memories we have together! Blessings to you :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Marilyn, my heart is breaking for your loss of your precious daddy. There are no words that would adequately comfort at this time. What you penned as a tribute to your father's life is absolutely amazing and heartfelt, and I know it had to be appreciated by all who heard your words.
    Yes, may your dad fly high, rejoicing in the arms of Jesus.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, how I appreciate your loving and compassionate words and prayers! They mean so much to me! Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  3. Dear Marilyn, I'm so sorry that your beloved dad passed away. I loved reading the Ecclesiastes verse, it was a special one. It seems to be true what you said about things happening at the same time of the loss of a loved one. When my dad passed away, a child was born into the family. How wonderful that you talked with your dad on the phone every day. These are lovely photos of your dad with the sweet members of your family. And you will always have those special memories of driving in your dad's old pickup. When you mentioned the huckleberry sundaes, I smiled, as there is a song with the words "huckleberry friend" that reminds me of my own dad. Your dad had such a nice and warm smile. : ) Thinking of you today, Marilyn, and I'm sending thoughts of comfort and love during this time of deep sorrow.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful post on your dad. I'm so sorry for you. I know about losing a parent and I too, adored my Dad and miss him and think of him everyday. Your dad looks like a huggable sweet guy. You were blessed to have such a man in your life. God Bless.

      Delete
    2. Dear Sheri, Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers - they mean so very much to me! The loss of Dad's presence in my life is huge, but I am thankful for all the wonderful memories we have together! It is huckleberry season right now, and I'm daily reminded of him as we enjoy the huckleberries. I am thankful for every precious memory I have of him! Thank you again for your precious words and prayers, they mean so much!

      Delete
    3. Dear Debby, thank you so very much for your kind words you shared and prayers you have prayed - I appreciate each and every one of them! There is just no one who can replace a Dad in our life!

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful and inspiring tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so sorry for your loss. God bless you and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. White! I appreciate your visit, your kind words, and your prayers, they are appreciated more than you know! Love and hugs to you :)

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your loss. We know how sad it is to lose a parent. Both of our parents are gone. Dad in 1990 and Mom in 2011. We hope you can find comfort in your memories of your father. May he rest in peace. Thank You for sharing these lovely photos . God Bless.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO SO sorry for the loss of your dear daddy... I can tell you two were VERY close! Do you know how much you look like him??? you can carry that same smile of his, with you every day, as his smile is smiling back at your in the mirror! Your Timestamp writings are beautiful and wonderful... it brought tears to my eyes, thinking of your loss, and also the loss of both my parents (3 weeks apart) and my dear son. Loss is so hard to bear,,,, and yet we DO know for certain that we will see them again.. and there is yet much on this Earth to rejoice in and relish... life and death is both bittersweet, sad and beautiful. I'm sending my prayers your way, and for your dad as he reunites with HIS Father in Heaven! Love to you... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, Marilyn! Your father looks like he was a fun and kind man. Your words on time are so meaningful and made me think about my own life. I deal with extreme stress, but am wanting to use my time wisely by focusing on Jesus.
    Love those verses and that beautiful song. Praying for your family's comfort.
    God bless,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. My Dad passed away 3 months ago, and I feel your pain. But the joy as believers to know where they are, and fully restored. I'm glad Dan was there, and I'm also thankful he went quickly. This is a wonderful tribute to him. Praying for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deepest sympathy on the death of your Dad. You will always carry him in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad and I know that you know that the angels in Heaven are rejoicing at the homecoming of another Saint. I lost my Mom when I was 29 and my Dad 10 years later. There is no pain on earth than the passing of a parent that you dearly loved and respected. I will be praying for you my dear friend.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart goes out to you sweet friend. I know how very difficult this loss is and I feel for you. What a beautiful tribute you shared and what a beautiful and thoughtful piece you wrote on that turbulent ride. I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye to your dad, I know that pain as well, but how blessed you were to speak to him every day. I know those precious memories will be with you forever. Keeling you all in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Marilyn,
    My sincerest condolences for the passing of your Dad!
    Words are never adequate for such a void—but you wrote beautifully and the song by Vince Gill is perfect.
    I'm sure glad that I had the ESP (Extrasensory Perception) for going home to see Dad one final time. In doing so, I was the only one out of seven that did talk with Dad for hours and was prepared for his departure. https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2019/08/from-citizenm-hotel-on-delta-airlines.html
    But you had many more opportunities to be close to your Dad—distance related and that provided you with great memories in special photos!
    Big all around hug,
    Mariette

    PS was up due to pain as I could not sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  13. My friend, I am so very sorry for your loss. May your dear father's soul rest in the peace of Christ. Your writing here is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Please know how very much it has touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing, such a wonderful post you have done for him. I know when both my parents passed 10 years apart, it was so very hard on me since I also talked to them quite regularly, they were not only my parents but good friends as we both aged. Sending hugs to you as you remember all the wonderful times you had with him, such a blessing to know he is with Jesus now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written/expressed! The passage you shared speaks to God's sovereignty and how we should respond to it. May God continue to comfort you in your grief and give you joy as you trust in Him and remember your dad's time on earth. So many wonderful reunions to look forward to in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like such a dear man. I'm glad you'll see him again one day. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very sorry for your loss.
    This was a wonderful tribute post.
    Keeping you in my thoughts.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for your loss. This was a lovely tribute. May you all feel God's comforting love and peace surrounding you during this time and always. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious dad. He sounds like a wonderful man. I know you will treasure the moments you had with him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear, sweet friend, I am SO sorry for your deep loss. And I am so very sorry it has taken me so long to get here to read this beautiful tribute. I am running so far behind on so many things, but I want you to know that you are in my heart and thoughts, and I am continuing to pray for you. I know how much this hurts. My heart goes out to you so much. If you ever need to talk, please know that I am here for you. Please call me anytime. May Jesus hold you extra close as you grieve. I love and appreciate you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear friend, I am so sorry to hear of your precious dad's sudden passing. I pray God continues to give you comfort. He holds us in his hands, and what a comfort to know this is only for temporary. You will see him again in heaven and what a joyful day that will be. Beautiful tribute to your dad. He sounds like a very special man, and I'm so thankful for the close bond you had.
    Sending you lots of hugs and love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your precious dad, dear Marilyn. You've written a lovely tribute to a devoted father. Losing our loved ones leaves us feeling so lost and I hope your sweet memories bring you comfort and peace. Your writings are heartfelt and touching and beautiful. Sending my deepest condolences and prayers to you and your family. A big hug to you. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. my precious friend Marilyn i am sorry for your loss!
    despite that no words can heal the pain you might feel right now i want to say that your dad was surly a wonderful and sweet man with golden beautiful heart . He from heavens is watching you and proud of you for life you are leading with gratitude ,humbleness and positivity .and you know it is a rare yet great success in this frustrated circumstances of today's world.
    you have written everything really beautifully that i believe words of this post will stay in my heart for so long. you are lovely and kind daughter and i see how nicely you have preserved and shared all precious moments you spent with your dad .thanks for sharing them .
    i can relate to pain of not being able to say goodbye my friend because i live more than one thousand km away from my Islamabad where my dear father died and i was not informed by my younger sister only because of her stupid ego . This was double pain for me too heavy to bear ,i was totally broken and lost for few years .this was meditation who brought me back to my senses slowly .
    your dad unlike my father stayed active which is such a grace of good Lord!
    your dad left this world the way i want to because i know how much my father suffered on bed for a month almost before leaving this world .
    May he rest in peace !
    i loved what you wrote during troubled flight ,every word is true and truth touches the soul so deep.
    we have nothing to claim over so therefore whatever the gift is and for how long we should live it gratefully and with deep connection to God!
    sending lots of love and healing energy!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh that's too bad. I am sorry for the loss of your dad, Marilyn. Cherish the memories. We never get over losing a parent, just learn to live life without them. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini