A Season for Thanksgiving

Monday, November 20, 2023

Thanks to each of you who were so kind to share your condolences to our family in the loss of our precious Mother, Mom Moseley.  With the holidays approaching, this year will be hard for us without the presence of my Gram, my Dad, and Mom Moseley. But, as I've shared before, our hearts don't grieve as those who have no hope - we are thankful for their eternal presence with the Lord, that is such a comfort.  


As we journeyed to Texas for the funeral of Mom Moseley, I wanted to share some of those pictures with you. I wanted my last post to be all about my precious Mom Moseley, but for this post - I will share some pictures of our trip there.  



My family held an impromptu 50th birthday celebration for me.  The plan was to celebrate at Thanksgiving when we usually come down to Texas each year.  However, the extenuating circumstances dictated otherwise, so those who could come, came to a breakfast my Mom prepared for us Saturday morning after the funeral.  My sister Elayne picked up a balloon bouquet and this cake for me. 

My sister made this fun collage page for me. 



My sister Elayne and I 

 


Mom took one of Dad's shirts and made it into a pillow for me.  In the pocket were some pictures taken with Dad wearing this shirt, as well as one of his pens and a comb (which he always had in his pockets). Oh, the tears that came! It was such a precious gift that I will always treasure! (My sister sent me the picture of me holding the pillow, and for some reason, it is very fuzzy). 


While we were in Texas, we enjoyed some wonderful Mexican food
and soaked up some of the warm sunshine! 


I have such a wonderful and supportive family! My Mom (not in the picture) and my 2 brothers and 1 sister came to be with us at the funeral for Mom Moseley. I wish my mother could've been in this picture! She was not around when the spontaneous moment happened. 



Our family after the funeral in the church fellowship hall. 
Mom Moseley's church put on a lovely meal for all of us. 



The day after the funeral, the graveside service was held.  This is our family at the graveside. 


While we were in Texas, we stopped by my Dad's gravesite.  Mom is working on getting the stone ready. He has a beautiful spot in the cemetery, right by the entrance.  It was good to sit at the gravesite and remember my Dad. I still can't believe he is gone! 


Back home, this is what awaited me!!! 

 

The Fall season arrives on the heels of Summer's busy season, and my kitchen is buzzing with activity from August through November! In fact, I am STILL canning tomatoes that are ripening from my garden. Hard to believe isn't it! I leave the tomatoes on the vine in the garden until the last possible moment when a frost/freeze is imminent, and then I gather all the tomatoes, putting them into cardboard boxes lined with newspaper to ripen.  


I just canned these tomatoes on Saturday. I still have more to ripen! 


I've been canning pinto beans, potatoes, carrots, and chicken broth.
It is a busy harvest season for me, all the way into Thanksgiving! 




We will have plenty to eat this winter :) 


Sourdough bread rising, next to freshly canned pinto beans. 




The Lord allowed my path to cross with a dear lady in our community who has a burden for community prayer as well.  Together we held a Pastor's Prayer Breakfast for all the pastors in our local community to come together and pray.  Sadly, many of them weren't able to come.  We hope to host another one soon.  Schedules are so busy,  it is hard to find a time to accommodate everyone. But how important it is that we gather together to pray! 

Those who came were so blessed, and all of us were encouraged after praying together for each other, so we hope to have another one in December. 



Winter showed up on Sunday - Riley and I enjoyed our walk as the snow fell.
We didn't get much snow, but it is enough to remind us that Winter is upon us. 



Most of you who have been reading my blog know how much I love winter.  I really do love the snow and all the beauty it brings. I love the quietness of the snow as it falls, and the sparkling wonder it brings to the world. Nothing I like more than getting on my cross-country skis and going for a beautiful glide through our backwoods and enjoying the splendor of the world dressed in white.  I've learned to embrace each season and to recognize it is just that - a season. All seasons come and go in their own time - although Winter certainly lingers the longest.  I enjoy the rest Winter brings and the quiet.  But, when it is time for Spring, I am ready for Winter to leave, and as we all know - that doesn't always happen, lol! But for now, we are staying busy preparing for Winter and looking forward to Thanksgiving. 

This is the season to be reminded of how much we are blessed with, and to live in an attitude of gratitude. I live with great thankfulness for all the many blessings of the Lord, and I praise Him for the comfort that He has given us this year, as we've buried my Gram, my precious companion dog Annie, my Dad, and Mom Moseley. 

I hope that your heart is encouraged, and full of the goodness of the Lord's blessings, and despite the difficulties that we all face, let us focus on the blessings - life is much better with a half-full cup than a half-empty cup :) 


Enjoy this video that I created - Great Is His Faithfulness by Charity Gayle - no matter where you are, or what your situation, we have much to be thankful for! 

Great Is His Faithfulness! 

Happy Thanksgiving dear friends! 






























37 comments

  1. Dearest Marilyn,
    So happy to read about some very special and wonderful moments for you in regard to your Birthday. A lovely birthday cake and how wonderful the idea for converting a shirt from your Dad into a pillow.
    You are young! And very industrious as seen from all the canning images...
    I've done that in my younger years but no longer able to do so.
    Looking forward to the spring, winter would not be my favorite season and especially not after having lived subtropical for 40 years...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to can - it helps with putting up all the garden produce. I'm so grateful for it all! I do love the spring too - but I've come to appreciate the beauty of winter, it makes it easier to endure the long days. Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  2. The pillow is such a great gift from your mom in memory of your day. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so very special Marie! I love and cherish it!

      Delete
  3. Hello, my friend. Such a lovely post filled with love of a family throughout so many seasons of life. You have a beautiful family and such a wonderful spirit, my friend. I always enjoy visiting with you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have you visit me Billie Jo! Thank you for your kind words! Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a nice birthday .Happiness and blessings to you throughout your birthday year.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friends! How I appreciate your kind comments and support! Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday! It was sweet what your family did to make you feel celebrated.
    The pillow from your Dads shirt is so special. My Dad passed in April and I have a few of his shirts - this makes me think about trying something like that.
    I really like seeing your family members at the funeral - siblings and kids too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a special gift, I will treasure the pillow always Mari - and it is a wonderful way to always keep a connection of your loved one with you. It was a blessing to have our kids with us, I'm so grateful. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. Your 50th Birthday cake looks Yummy, Marilyn. Oh, you already got some snow! I think ours will come in December. I also love the Winter, my friend. There's just something about it - the stillness and the peace of it all. How wonderful to have all those canned vegetables for the Winter days. And you have so many tomatoes! This was a lovely family photo at the funeral. The memory pillow is so special that your mom gave you. And the collage of pictures your sister made is creative. Love to look at old photos, there's nothing quite like it.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, dear Marilyn.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayer for my health, Marilyn. I've been feeling pretty awful, and I appreciate that so very much. : ) ~Sheri

      Delete
    2. I do pray you are feeling better Sheri! I just posted where we experienced sickness in our home just this past week. It is not a fun dose, for sure. So thankful we are past it now! Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  7. What a sweet gift from your mom that pillow is. That was nice to be able to celebrate your birthday with your loved ones while you were in Texas. I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving. God is so good to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen - God indeed is so very good to us, we have much to be thankful for!

      Delete
  8. That pillow is such a special gift!! Just wonderful.

    yes...much to be thankful for. I"m thankful we have had a glorious Autumn here in NYS and NO SNOW yet!! It's pretty but if you had to commute in it to work, you wouldn't like it much either!! This is my first winter being retired from teaching so I might enjoy it more although we haven't had any yet. Rain is forecasted for Wed when we travel to Plymouth Co to be with hubby's side of the family. He is a direct descendent from John Turner on the Mayflower so this is a huge holiday for my inlaws. :)

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving and cherish all the memories....rejoicing that all are with our Redeemer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a very special Thanksgiving Faith - how awesome to have your husband be a direct descendent from the Mayflower! I imagine it is quite the celebration! Thank you for the kind comment and visit, it is always much appreciated!

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Marilyn, for sharing so many beautiful photos of your family. I know it has been a trying time for everyone, but your attitude of gratitude shines through it all. May God richly bless you in this season of your lives.
    Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha - its true, there is a blessing and positives to be found, no matter how difficult the situation. Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  10. So glad you were still able to celebrate your birthday even though there was so much other things going on. That was sweet of your side of the family to come to the funeral and support you all.
    You sure do have a good harvest there, sadness and gladness all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a rich season of blessing and abundance, of which we are truly grateful! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  11. Marylin, I love the pillow. What a wonderful gift. I'm sorry to hear that you traveled for a sad reason, but so happy to know that there were happy moments of celebration with family, as well. I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving and some peaceful moments in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, I treasure your visits and comments, they mean so much to me! The pillow is such a blessing, I treasure it so much. Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  12. Your family is so sweet to support you during this difficult time and make your birthday a special day for you. The pillow is such a thoughtful treasure to remember you dear father. I'm so sorry that you will have so many empty chairs at the table this year, but I hope the love you shared will bring you comfort. You have been busy putting up all the abundance from your garden and it must be so satisfying to see those pretty jars lined up on the pantry shelves. Winter is such a magical season with a beauty of its own. Wishing you blessings at Thanksgiving and always. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so special that they celebrated my birthday, and the pillow was such a precious gift. It is hard with the losses we've had this year, but we do have much to be grateful for too - the abundance in the garden has been amazing. I am grateful, beyond words! Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  13. I left a comment yesterday but obviously it failed. I just wanted to wish you and your family a Blessed Thanksgiving
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that google has become so difficult to comment with. That is just so very frustrating! I appreciate your efforts to stop by and leaving a comment, it is appreciated so very much! Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  14. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful birthday.I wish you nothing but joy and happiness during the entire year of your birthday.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!
    You are welcome to read my most recent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody! I am so happy to meet you, and thank you for the birthday wishes! Many blessings to you dear friend, and I will be visiting you soon at your blog!

      Delete
  15. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving as a naturalized citizen, Marilyn! I do pray for continued comfort and peace for the losses you've faced this year.
    Such an abundance of tomatoes!!! Glad you've had a great harvest! God bless and keep you,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an abundant year in the garden, Valentine, for that I am so very grateful! I have much to be grateful for over this past year - it has been quite a year, for sure. Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  16. I'm a little late but I send belated good wishes for Thanksgiving and your Birthday.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday and Thanksgiving wishes Jan, it means so much to me! Many blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  17. Dear friend, I began reading this days ago, and I got sidetracked and just made it back here tonight to finish reading it. I am SO sorry for all the losses you and Dan have had to walk through lately. My heart goes out to you so much and I pray you feel the presence of the precious Holy Spirit in every moment of grief. I so enjoyed seeing all the photos and hearing about your trip and all your canning. I LOVE home-canned tomatoes, and my mouth is watering looking at those photos! May the Lord continue to bless you and also grant you another prayer breakfast. Sometimes it takes some time for an endeavor like that to take off and become something people remember to come to. I hope it all works out for you. You are such a dear blessing and do so much to build up the Lord's work. May He bless you always, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Cheryl, your words mean so very much to me! I am grateful for all the blessings the Lord has given us this year, and even in spite of the sorrow, there is much to be thankful for. I love home canned tomatoes too, and they are so wonderful in soups, sauces and spaghetti. We will have lots to enjoy for the winter months ahead! Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  18. Thank you sweet friend - oh the pillow has been so special, I just love it so much. It is a blessing to have such precious parents, I am very grateful! Many blessings to you dear friend, your friendship is such a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini