A Season of Thanksgiving

Monday, November 27, 2023



How is it that joy and sorrow walk hand in hand? Seasons of grief and sorrow have weighed on us throughout the past year - and yet, when I look back on the blessings of the Lord throughout the most difficult times, I am thankful - once again - that walking with the Lord smoothes the difficult places, and brings joy in unexpected ways.  
We were supposed to be in Texas this Thanksgiving, and last year, my Gram, my Dad, and Mom Moseley were with us.  Thanksgiving last year was such a joyful time, and we celebrated in grand style - appreciating the moments we had with the ones we loved so much. 


But this year - our family was missing three precious faces around the gathering tables.  My Canadian family celebrated Thanksgiving in October and passed that milestone of a first without Gram.  Then this year, both my Dad and Mom Moseley have gone on with Jesus.  The loss of their presence changed everything.  


Because of our many trips to Texas this year, we did not return for Thanksgiving. My Mom went on a special trip with my sister and her family to get her out of the house so she wouldn't be alone.  My brothers celebrated by frying a turkey on Christmas Day - they said it was wonderful.  Dan's family gathered together, the ones who could. 


We were blessed beyond measure this Thanksgiving too. Danielle's in-laws upon hearing that we had no Thanksgiving plans, immediately invited us to join them in their lovely home for the day of feasting, fellowship, and camaraderie.  How blessed it was! 
Generous amounts of food kept arriving as guests kept coming!


I made my mother's recipe for Deep Dish Apple Pie. 










The buffet line never seemed to end! Danielle's mother-in-law made the rolls,
oh my, they melted in your mouth :) So much good food, and we had wonderful fellowship too. 




All our family was together, with Alanna's brother joining us. 

Such a special time, and we are so very grateful for the memories made.  Danielle's became family to us as soon as we met them, and we have gathered for many meals together, both at their home and ours.  I am grateful for this marvelous blessing, that our families can join in together to celebrate the Thanksgiving season in our hearts, and for the Lord! 


How was your Thanksgiving for those of you who are my American readers? I pray that you were able to find joy in the midst of perhaps some sorrow. I think that is the way it is these days.  There is much sorrow and grief in our lives that we don't often share - but it is there.  Illness, financial struggles, relationships, overseas conflicts - so many things can bring sorrow, grief, and worry to our lives.  But, we can walk among the tears with joy too. I know because I've done it. He walks with us and loves us in the midst of it all. I'm thankful for His presence, ever near, and faithful in the midst of trying times. 

I recently ran across this website filled with some really powerful devotions. You might be interested in reading it :)  Devotable  There are some particularly moving, and encouraging devotions written there to enjoy. 

I want to leave you with an encouraging video - may your day be blessed, and uplifted by the blessings of the Lord that carry us through the days of grief and sorrow :) 




Psalm 61:5-8

My soul, wait thou only upon God; 

for my expectation is from Him. 

He only is my rock and salvation: He is my defense;

I shall not be moved. 

in God is my salvation and my glory:

the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is God. 

Trust in Him at all times; ye people, 

pour out your heart before Him: 

God is a refuge for us. 

Selah. 




32 comments

  1. Dearest Marilyn,
    That was indeed a Thanksgiving in the TRUE sense of its meaning.
    So glad you found support and that everyone was taken care of, like your Mom not having to deal with a sad day alone.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Mariette, I'm so grateful for the presence of the Lord that is with us through the days we are in. Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  2. This is the meaning of Thanksgiving. Giving thanks in the middle of trying times. God is truly there with us through everything. I'm grateful that your Mom wasn't alone on this first Thanksgiving without your Dad by her side. We have the same type of relationship with all of our "in-laws" too. It makes life so much easier for our kids too when their parents all enjoy each other and time spent together.
    Thanks for sharing so much of your love for Jesus and His walk with you in your life. What a blessing you are to so many Marilyn.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved my inlaws as my own family, and my children are doing the same. I'm so grateful that we can have this large extended family, it is such a blessing! Blessings for you dear friend! I hope to get a Christmas card in the mail to you soon, I received yours as the very first one this season :) Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Invitations with welcoming hearts is what Thanksgiving is about. I am so glad you had this lovely family and friends to spend time with. Knowing the rest are scattered about but they too were having thanks.
    Your psalm is so very comforting and true to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is what makes Thanksgiving special, indeed Lynn. Psalm 61 is one of my favorites. Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  4. The first family events after the passing of a family member can be so sad. You have had a rough year, losing three family members. I hope time will heal the sorrow, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been quite a year, Marie. Only the goodness of God continues to sustain us, we are grateful! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing these photos of your family blended with the in-laws, Marilyn. I can almost taste that amazing spread of food!
    Seasons do call us to change and adapt when loved ones are missing. I'm glad your holiday turned out fine in the end.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a sweet time of fellowship, I am so very grateful! Yes, its hard when we have to change the familiarity of traditions, isn't it. My hugs and blessings for you, as I know this year has been rough for you!

      Delete
  6. What a blessing you got to celebrate Thanksgiving at Danielle's in-laws! How thoughtful of them! The food looks amazing!
    Yes indeed, the Lord walks with us through hardships. It hasn't been easy, but I'm thankful for His strength.
    Praying for you,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valentine, I appreciate your prayers so very much! We couldn't do it without the Lord!

      Delete
  7. You just can't beat good food with true fellowship. Your buffet did look like it never ended. Glad you could gather and enjoy each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing amount of food offered at Thanksgiving - we are blessed beyond measure! Blessings to you :)

      Delete
  8. Being thankful in the moments of sadness really does grow us, doesn't it? Gratitude is good for us physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It sounds like you embraced the holiday well and wow...that's some spread!! I love deep dish apple pie. I"m not really a pie fan but i do love me a good peach pie or deep dish apple, or Swedish apple pie (my specialty :) )

    I pray that as the Christmas season draws near that you would embrace the comfort of our Savior Redeemer as you also cherish all the wonderful memories of your loved ones who have passed on. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swedish apple pie sounds wonderful! My mom loves to make the deep dish pie, and we love it. Thank you Faith for those beautiful Christmas wishes - and I pray the same for you and your family!

      Delete
  9. A lovely Thanksgiving despite the sorrow of loss, my friend. Prayers for you this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Billie Jo, the prayers are appreciated so very much! Many blessings to you and your family in this Christmas season as well :)

      Delete
  10. Sending prayers and love as the Christmas season approaches. Thank you for sharing the photos of your lovely Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla - so much to be thankful for! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  11. so wonderful that you were able to enjoy the day with extended family. It is always good to focus on the positive instead of the negative, there is always so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true Connie - we have so very much to be thankful for! The positive is much better for us to focus on, indeed :) Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  12. So thankful you had an amazing Thanksgiving in spite of all your pain and grief, sweet friend. Your precious loved ones were spending their Thanksgiving in the presence of the One we praise in this life. I'm thinking of you and Dan often and praying for you. You are such a blessing to me. I love and appreciate you and trust God will bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your prayers and friendship so very much Cheryl - what a blessing your friendship has been through the years! May the Lord richly bless you, my friend!

      Delete
  13. It is so difficult to be without those we love at this time of year. It makes us appreciate the times we spent with them and the times we spend with those who are still with us all the more. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true - we need to love the ones with us today, and be thankful for every moment we have with them! Blessings to you :)

      Delete
  14. Marilyn ...
    I do have trouble commenting on your blog hence I come through as anonymous but always with the link to the low carb diabetic blog.
    My comments seem to appear then dis-appear?
    Have they gone into spam folder - I wonder!?

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini