Homemade Elderberry Syrup Flu Remedy

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Yes, it's that time of year when all the nasty bugs that multiply and grow in confined warm spaces begin to make their rounds.  Our family was visited this past week by one who decided to stay and visit us. Not welcome at all - we hit the bug hard with all the tools in our "Keep Healthy" toolbox.  


I was the first one to succumb to the bug, but I was only sick for about one day. As soon as I started feeling a scratchy throat, I began to take extra vitamin C and drink lots of water. The next day, I began to run a fever, had aches, chills, and just general malaise, and my head was congested.  My fever only lasted a few hours as I began drinking elderberry tea.  I also took Quercetin, vitamin C, vitamin D, and some cold medicine.  


My husband also got "bit by the bug" within a few days.  I made him some of the elderberry tea as well, and his fever broke within a few minutes of drinking the tea! It really made a believer out of him! He only missed one day of work, and I was sick for one day as well. 

Elderberry syrup


Last fall, our family went out together on the quads and we harvested close to 20 pounds of elderberries.  We cleaned them, removing all the leaves, twigs, and debris, and I made elderberry syrup. I was able to can about 25 pint jars of syrup which should last us all winter. Here is my method for making elderberry syrup.  


Please note that if you can't locally harvest elderberries, you can buy dried elderberries online, and you can use the same method to make the syrup. 



ELDERBERRY SYRUP

Prepare elderberries by removing stems and leaves, and rinse.  Put as many elderberries as you can into a large saucepot. I did not measure - because you can use as many as you like.  Fill a stock pot with the berries, and then add just enough water to cover the berries.  




Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.  Simmer for about 45 minutes.  Strain berries from the liquid.


Here is the elderberry syrup after I've strained the berries out. 


Pour liquid into sterilized canning jars. I used pint jars. Clean the rim of the jar with a clean cloth moistened with vinegar, then add and tighten the lids.  Waterbath for 10 minutes. Let cool for 24 hours, remove the outer lid, label jars with a Sharpie, and store in a cool place. 



To use: 2 Tbsp for adults, 1 Tbsp for children. Can be used every 2-3 hours. 


Elderberry Hot Tea: Add the elderberry syrup to a mug, with the juice of 1 lemon, and 1 Tbsp honey, and fill the mug with hot water.  Drink to your health! 




We eat a lot of oranges in the winter, and I save the orange peelings, cover them with water, add some cinnamon sticks, place them in a small saucepan on the stove, and let it simmer away, adding water as necessary. This adds a lovely aroma to the air, as well as moisture, which helps with warm indoor spaces that don't have much moisture, and our nasal passages get dried out. 


Remember to get plenty of rest, drink some chicken broth - homemade if you have it - and eat as much vitamin C in fruit form (we love oranges) as possible.  Take time to allow your body to fight the bug off.  I think that is the hardest thing for us to do - just rest.  But if you can do that, your body has an amazing ability to fight off the flu bug invaders with a little help from many things God has provided around us to help us heal.  




We got a wonderful snowstorm bringing us about 8" of snow. 
Dan, Riley, and I walked as it snowed - it was so beautiful! 



We got about 8" of snow! 



My garden resting under the welcome blanket of snow. 




Unfortunately an "atmospheric river of rain" has descended upon us now, and instead of snowing, it is raining, making everything icy and very mucky. We are hoping this weather pattern changes soon! They tell us by the weekend it should be snowing again - now that makes me happy!




A picture I took recently - how I love the view of the changing season of Fall,
into Winter showcased in this photo.  




Enjoy this video I created of a sweet Christmas song  - we will definitely have a White Christmas here this year:) 


Stay well my friends, and don't forget to share below your favorite remedy for fighting those traveling virus bugs!  


Blessings to all of you! 

 

17 comments

  1. You are prepared for the winter bugs for sure! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Marilyn,
    You got quite a harvest of elderberry.
    It has been maybe 30 years since I got that many here from our property, to make elderberry marmelade. Love doing that but you even make a syrup for getting rid of the flu. Placed it on my Pinterest board for Good Health.
    Your snow landscape photos are incredible in combination of the song!
    We will never have such a view, well we had several times a layer for one day and that is it.
    Stay warm and cozy and above all healthy!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything you can't do, Marilyn? I'm so happy that the elderberry tea works so well against flu and other seasonal colds. You are so right about taking vitamin C and resting, too. That can do the trick in turning the illness tide.
    Loved the video!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about elderberry from a couple of women at our church who do the same as you. Good tips today!
    Your snow pics are pretty! It's supposed to hit 50 here on Friday, so no snow for us at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the rain just keeps falling here. That elderberry syrup looks great. I've got to be smarter and remember the Quercetin , too. Hope you both are tip top soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful Marilyn to share your elderberry tea recipe with us. So glad it works for your family. I take lots of vitamin c everyday. The video is lovely with the beautiful snow. Wishing you a joyful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the bug was short-lived for both of you. I think making elderberry syrup would be a good idea. I may have to see if I can find some dried ones around here somewhere.
    The snow is beautiful, the rain, not so much. Other friends of ours in your area aren't real happy with it either. I've never heard of Quercetin. I may look online for that too. Anything to avoid the bugs.
    May God bless you and your family my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you are both feeling better, Marilyn. I haven't got the flu in a long time. I've also had health issues lately due to allergies and the muscles acting up, and I thank you for your prayer for me. On Advent, it was the first time I felt a little better in four weeks! Your elderberry syrup sounds wonderful. I've heard of elderberry tea before, and it sounds nice and soothing. You got snow! How I love to see pictures of your snow. We haven't got any yet, and I imagine it will be coming soon. I love the garden photo, it's so pretty. And a lovely picture of the mountain and the changing of season. I smiled at your orange peelings simmering on the stove, as I always have oranges in my house at Christmastime. My sister used to make the orange cloves and her kitchen smelled wonderful. Continue to get better with each day, Marilyn, and I said a little prayer for you as well. To answer your last question.....when I've had colds and flus in the past, I always take garlic tablets, and it makes me feel better much quicker. ; )

    A Merry Christmas season to you, Marilyn.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marilyn! sorry you all got the bug. I did too! Last Friday it hit me so fast early in the morning. I woke up with it and felt horrible. I was just sure it was Covid as I was exposed a couple of days before Thanksgiving and my dtr in law and son, then her son got it, and they were all positive for Covid! So I tested that morning and it was negative! My tests were expired so the neighbor went and got me some current ones.. t hen tested that afternoon and still negative! I was amazed as I felt so awful. I took all my immune boostin stuff too, extra Vit C, all my other supps, plus Potassium Iodide (kills germs quick), and some Grape Seed, Pine Bark pills which boost your immune system, and my Congaplex which is by Standard Process and has something in it that kills germs fast.. I always take it if I feel myself getting something. I also wanted to take Quercetin and thought Ihad some, but tore my house apart looking and didn't find it! So ordered some online, but by the time I got it, I was feeling better! also drank some White Pine Needle tea my neighbors brought over which is great for feeling better sooner. I have Elderburry syruup I had bought, but couldn't find it either as have packed away some of my pills and supplements. The Elderberry tea sounds wonderful. My mom used to simmer orange peels and cloves on the stove and it smelled so good. I may do that just for the fragrance and to help moisten our oh so dry air around here!
    It must have been a 24 hour bug! It was gone so fast. I felt almost normal the next day... tested again for Covid and it was negative, so felt I dodged the bullet this time. I never had a sore throat or fever or any sort of congestion in my head! Just a bug I guess but boy did it hit me hard!
    Glad you are all better now. Your photos of the snow are pretty, but glad I'm not in it! Love the Fall to Winter mountain photo too. We had that warm weather here too.. some days have been 62 degrees but not too much rain.. only one day where it rained all day, but that is rare for around here!
    Hugs to you.. and like one other gal said, Marilyn, you do it all! and she was right!
    Sending hugs and blessings.... Marilyn J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, thank you for sharing!! We like to take natural remedies as well.
    We have a heat wave today, 50 degrees!!! Then back to normal temps for us the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you and your husband are feeling better! I've never had elderberry syrup or tea before. That's amazing how it helped you!
    Beautiful snow!!!! It usually doesn't snow in Texas until February.
    God bless,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only had flu twice in my life.....once when I was 28 yrs old and teaching full time......took a week off and only used Vicks, drank lots of cinnamon tea with raw honey, and sucked on lemons and ate oranges. then I had what i thought was the flu last Feb but was probably Covid. I take DoTerra OnGuard capsules as soon as I feel a scratchy throat coming on. three a day for 3 days. Voila......no illness. Combine that with lemon water, oranges and grapefruit, extra Vitamin C tablets, and putting eucalpytus oil on my head, throat and nose. I rarely get sick. these things work! OH and working out every day really helps your immune system. If you do get sick, obviously you're not going to work out but working out does help your body fight illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear that the bug didn't get you down for long. Hopefully you will stay healthy for the rest of the winter. That is a lot of snow! We got only a dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bummer you have already caught a bug, my friend got Covid and the other one had some sickness but not covid but so far we have kept well :) We are going out to finish Christmas shopping today and celebrate my hubby's birthday so hopefully we don't catch anything out there.
    I have never had elderberry's myself and I really don't have a regimen other than getting plenty of rest, trying to eat well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you and your husband were not too sick too long. I have known about elderberry secrets for years but have not been able to make my own syrup. I actually have brought home small branches and rooted them to grow in the yard. Even with all the protection I can do against deer, they break thru and eat them to the ground over and over until the plants die. I do not know how the large ones I see and love the flowers ever got off the ground, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Think my comments may be going into spam folder?

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know how I missed this post! It has been sitting in my inbox, and as I tried to weed through some of it this morning to try to get somewhat caught up, there it was! I am so happy I found it and appreciate you sharing about the elderberry syrup. Your snowfall is just beautiful! It was so wonderful to visit with you this morning, dear friend. I love and appreciate you and all you do and share with the world. Your life is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini