Father's Day and June's Frosty Weather

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Spring's season is fast approaching its end, and Summer awaits on the horizon. We've had an amazing spring this year - with all the joys that a cool wet spring brings - lots of rain showers, rainbows, cool winds, abundant sunshine, and even a surprise weekend full of frosty temperatures - yes, we had a late frost this past weekend, with temps down in the high 20s! 




Brilliant double rainbow after a spring rainstorm!


A bluebird family has taken up residence in my garden, and I've enjoyed watching Papa and Momma watch so carefully after their little ones. 


The wild roses are in full bloom - growing with abandon this year - oh the joy of smelling these roses! Their fragrance fills the air with its delicate tones. 



I wish I could share their fragrance with you!
And I wish I could bottle it up and save it to enjoy year-round! 


My iris are now in bloom, happily blooming despite the presence of cold winds and rain! 


In another part of my garden, a wren family takes up residence yearly in June - oh how I love to hear the wrens sing and talk to each other - and the scolding they give me when I get too close to their nest! 


I've been busy at work in the garden! Many of the pathways needed attention because of weeds. I've used plastic, heavy black landscape paper and cardboard in the past.

I've come to like cardboard the best, because the soil improves as the cardboard breaks down, while the weeds continue to grow on top of the plastic or landscape paper, which makes it impossible to get rid of them. With all the wood chips from our downed trees, I've been hauling it into the garden to improve the soil and make weed-tending easier. 



After the cardboard has been laid, I then cover it with the chipped tree mulch. 


The peonies began to bloom just as frosty temperatures visited my garden. On June 15 and 16 we had overnight lows around 29.  


Even though everything was covered, my plants still took a "hit" from the frost, and will take a while to recover.  They will recover, but it has definitely set things back. 



You may remember I shared how a momma hen hatched 4 chicks of her own, and adopted 6 more that I put under her.  She raised them and cared for them until they left the coop and entered the big run with the other chickens.  Strangely enough, one day I saw a new hen mothering the chicks! The original momma has returned to laying eggs, and another hen has taken in and adopted the little ones! Nature never ceases to amaze me! 


Captured on our morning walk, our neighbor's horse is enjoying the green grass and abundant sunshine. We have had some glorious Spring days! 

Our kids all came together for Father's Day.  Our daughter got a new T-shirt -  it says "Eating tacos for two".  We enjoyed chicken fajitas together! 

Our kids with their dad! 

All of us together! In October, we will have the newest member of the family join us!
We can't wait! 


Morning walks with Riley - how we love walking with the delight of a new day upon us. 



I wish you could smell these heirloom peonies - they have the most delicate fragrance, with rosy overtones. A dear friend gave me a start from her mother-in-law's garden, and these have been around for over 80 years. I cherish every bloom! 



With summer arriving this week, I can hardly believe we are halfway through the year! I know it feels this way every year, that we wish time would slow down, but it seems to barrel along faster and faster every day.  

It's so important that we choose to live fully in every moment that we have - each second of our life is one that we will never get back again. 


My heart's determination is to make every second count and to soak up all the beauty and wonder of the world the Lord has created for us to enjoy, and I praise Him for His creation which always points my heart back to trusting Him for all things. 


This is my newest video sharing some of the aurora photos that I took back in May paired with instrumental worship music.  I took over 300 pictures on two different occasions!  It was such a magnificent experience to see the aurora on Mother's Day weekend.  I've seen them many times, but never as powerful as they were on that Friday night.  I hope you will enjoy the video!  



Psalm 121 (KJV) 
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, 
from whence cometh my help. 
My help cometh from the Lord, 
which made heaven and earth. 
He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: 
He that keepeth thee will not slumber. 
Behold He that keepeth Israel 
shall neither slumber nor sleep. 
The Lord is thy keeper, 
the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.  
The sun shall not smoke thee by day 
nor the moon by night.  
The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: 
He shall preserve thy soul.  
The Lord shall preserve 
thy going out and thy coming in 
from this time forth 
and even for evermore. 



May your hearts be blessed and encouraged by this video - and in knowing that the God who created this magnificent universe for us to dwell in, has a plan and a purpose for everything that is happening, and we can look to Him for our peace and contentment, in the midst of difficult seasons. 

Much love to all of you, my dear and precious readers! 

14 comments

  1. Dearest Marilyn,
    What gorgeous peonies and indeed it ought to be possible to transmit fragrances...
    Your images from nature and your garden are always stunning!
    LOVE the Carolina wren, they are such industrious little birds and their voices are special.
    Happy family gathering and one more on the way for sharing such moments in the future.
    Indeed, time is racing and hard to keep up with things!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marilyn, your Psalm is perfect for your photos and video. You certainly had different weather than us last weekend, even though we had a very cool wave it is far over with 95 in north central Ohio. Not at all normal this time of year. I wondered how your veggies might be doing after starting your blog. Glad you could cover so much. Your husband had a great Father's Day and next year think of how your son-in-law will feel! Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how beautiful the peonies are and I know the fragrance is so sweet. Looks like you have a great set up there with your gardening. We have not had a garden in years. I do miss having one though. Our Spring has been long gone, as we are reaching temps in the 90's with feels like temps close to a 100. Great pictures of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your photos! I love peonies but we can't get them to bloom here. Yours are so pretty!
    nice pics of the family including your cute little mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marilyn! I can smell those roses from here. We had several wild rose bushes as I grew up and I loved the aroma.
    I've heard about the weather from friends. It's sure been up and down...just like here. We're heading to Spokane next week and are really looking forward to it.
    I'm sorry about your garden. Hopefully the summer will be a long one with plenty of warmth and sunshine to grow those plants for harvest.
    Your family does look as though you enjoy your time together. Your daughter's shirt is really cute.
    Praying for glorious summer days ahead.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the summer, Marilyn…without any more frost, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post Marilyn. Looks like Father’s Day was very special. Love the story about the hen and. chicks. Nature is pretty amazing. Tacos for two is so cute. Your flowers are lovely. Happy summer Marilyn.🩷

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I loved your video, your photographs of your garden and flowers, and the scripture you've quoted here, Marilyn. Thank you for bringing such joy and peace into our hearts today. May the Lord continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the T-shirt... so much fun and excitement with little one on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our white and pink peonies are inside sharing their beautiful fragrance with us and helping our home to smell nice. Those freezing temps were such a surprise. Weeds are in charge here in many areas right now. Looks like you have a good plan to stay on top of yours. What a very special October you are going to have. I love that t-shirt! I'd love a taco right about now. Love our LORD and that Psalm. Happy Summer to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photographs ... I especially enjoyed seeing your peonies, such lovely blooms.

    It looks like you all enjoyed a very nice family get-together for Father's Day.

    Wishing you happy summer days.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flowers and birds; I just love them- who wouldn't? Wow, can't believe you had freezing temperatures, when it's in the 90s here, and a forecast of 100 coming up!
    Looks like your husband had a good Father's Day!
    I always love reading your encouraging and faith-building words. Thank you!
    God bless,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that double rainbow ... God keeps His promises, for sure. I'm so grateful for that reality ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your description of spring transitioning into summer is beautifully vivid and captures the essence of gardening and nature's resilience. Despite the challenges like late frosts, your garden seems to thrive with the fragrance of wild roses and the lively presence of wrens. Your dedication to improving pathways with cardboard and wood chips shows a thoughtful approach to sustainability and soil health. Wishing your peonies and the rest of your garden a quick recovery from the frost!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini