Garden Thoughts...

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

I have a "She Shed" in my garden where I can sit and enjoy the beauty of the world around me as it beckons my heart in measures of a splendid symphony. The summer breeze whistles gently through the pine and fir trees, while birds call out to each other in their musical tones of cheer. I hear my baby chicks happily "cheeping" as they explore the new world around them. Butterflies dance merrily among the blooms, while the crickets chirp happily in the shadows.  Hummingbirds buzz around as if their life depends on every drop of sugary fluid. A symphony without a conductor, and the only audience is me! 

I could sit in my garden all day and just soak in the beauty around me.

Oh... if only I could do just that!!



While I would love to, I can’t just sit here forever and enjoy the beauty, because so much work needs to be done!   


Constant tending and care to every aspect of the garden, and there never is a time when it is all done.  


When I can, it is nice to take a moment in my little She Shed and watch the world around me in wonder. It recharges my "batteries" and gives me time to pray, ponder and think! 


I've created a happy space filled with beautiful things - most of them gifted to me, or thrifted from local thrift stores or garage/yard sales.  Many are mismatched, with imperfections. Just like me!


 
My collections are eclectic and I'm mostly drawn to the imperfect, broken, cracked, and no longer useful dishes. I find them a place of importance in my little She Shed or garden where their beauty mingles with my collection and becomes beautiful again. 



I never cease to be thankful for this little sweet space of mine where I can pray, dream, relax, and enjoy the beauty of God's precious creation! 


But, I can't linger here too long! Berries need to be harvested daily now, and spinach and lettuce need to be picked.  Weeds grow in abundant profusion. Tiny bugs whittle away at the plants in their fight for survival. It becomes a fight to the bitter end with each weed that pops its head up and then finds itself at the end of my hoe, only for me to find it days later growing anew with roots that never seem to die. 




As I battle each day with the forces of nature that threaten the very existence of the tiny plants that I started as seedlings, sometimes weariness fills my soul.  Will the battle ever end? Is there ever a victory in sight? I’m sure every gardener has felt the same despair. It seems that for every weed I pull, twenty more replace it.  The fight for survival in the garden is a weary one.  


And then the constant foe that I have faced this year has become the ground squirrels. As you can see here in this picture, there is a squirrel watching me as I take the picture, while it is eating out of the chicken food bowl! We have tried a multitude of different things, but this year - none of them are working that great. I think we managed to kill some, but more keep coming. 


Relentless in their destruction, these squirrels have eaten berries, lettuce, basil, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, hot peppers, and peas, and continue to relentlessly eat my chicken's food. Currently, I am using baking soda mixed with cornmeal and chicken feed, as I've learned that baking soda causes a natural death for them. I've definitely seen a reduction in their population, but as you can see - they just keep coming! 


 


Tending a garden is tedious, yet rewarding work. While it is never-ending, and constantly a battle for survival, the joys at harvest time spur me on.


My blooming clematis

As I work in my garden each day, I dream of a garden without any foes, without any weeds, and without any insects or predators.  Then I begin to ponder what it was like in the Garden of Eden that was planted by God just for Adam and Eve to enjoy, and wonder if they even realized how blessed they were to have this beautiful garden planted by the Lord just for them to enjoy.  There was no watering to do, for the ground was watered from the mist that came up from the earth.  Can you even imagine the wondrous beauty of this garden planted by the Lord himself? Exodus 2:8 “And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden and there he put the man whom he had formed.” 


Yet even in this beautiful garden, there was work to be done.  Exodus 2:15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and keep it.” Such an incredible task that must have been to be in the garden the Lord planted.  The Lord had then placed a river with four forks to run through the garden, and the rivers carried gold, bdellium and oxyx stone… can you imagine the sparkles of beauty that must have been in this garden!


And then of course we read on and find that the beautiful garden of Eden was closed up forever after the fruit of the tree of life was eaten.  Because of disobedience, the Lord God put a curse upon the ground, in Exodus 3:17 “…Because thou has harkened unto the voice of thy wife and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee saying, Thou shalt not eat of it, cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the ground; for out of it thou was taken, for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”  Vs 23 says “therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground whence he was taken.”


So we find that sad story in the garden of Eden, a place of untold measures of beauty and delight, changed forever by the sin of Adam and Eve, and now the ground is cursed with thorns and thistles and must be tilled in sweat and tears. 


As I ponder the story of the garden of Eden, and I work in my garden with the hoe, the rake, and the tiller, I know that I cannot change the curse on the ground I work. Thorns and thistles will never give up or give in.  It continues to be a fight and a battle of wills that began in the most beautiful garden the world has ever seen.


I long for the return of the Garden of Eden, for that day when the curse on the ground will be lifted, and thorns and thistles will win their battle no more.  For it says in Isaiah 11:9 “They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.”  I find hope and comfort in the chapter of Isaiah 11 which speaks of a time that is to come when we will no longer fight the soil to produce, when there will be no more predators upon the earth, and when the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord. 

My harvest of garlic scapes!

But until that day comes, I will continue the battle here in the garden. The insects, the weeds, the disease, the predators, the quirks of nature… they will all continue to be forces we must deal with… for now.  So… I will enjoy the beauty of each day, and be thankful for the harvest that I am able to gather and continue to be amazed at the beauty of the world around me while knowing that someday, an even better day is coming. 


Living here in north Idaho, it is hard to imagine a world with more beauty than what I see and explore every day. I’m grateful for the towering mountain ranges, for the playful shadows that race across the tips of the pines. I’m thankful for every beautiful wildflower that grows in difficult soil. I’m thankful for the birds that sing so sweetly in the treetops, for the gentle breeze of the wind as it sings glorious melodies in the treetops.  I’m grateful for all the beauty I am able to enjoy now, and within my heart, there sings a melody that is rich and true… someday all the difficult parts of this beauty I enjoy will be forever changed, and that gives me hope to keep on working in my garden.  My hope endures for eternity!   



Speaking of rest - this little one loves dangling from his perch and napping! 



It was time to harvest my garlic scapes.  Garlic scapes grow out of hard-neck garlic and can be used in many different ways. 


I chose to slice them, then mince them in the food processor and dehydrate them. 


After dehydrating, I put them in the food processor until a powder formed. I will use this as garlic powder, and the stems will be used as seasoning in soups and stews. 



Last weekend we were experiencing a heat wave here with temps past 100+.  We planned to spend the day at Priest Lake, and what a wonderful day we had! 





Sigh... I can't wait for us to go back again, and enjoy these beautiful cool waters of Priest Lake! 





Well, I must close for now, I will leave you with a beautiful worship experience with a new video that I created last week. The water pictured in this video is from some of our rivers, lakes, and streams.  I pray it is a blessing to you! 


And remember - no matter how dark and difficult present circumstances may seem - we have an eternal hope that carries us through the days we live in. 


Much love to all of you!

19 comments

  1. Your clematis is just gorgeous this year. Ours didn't do as well as usual.
    We are also having a huge issue with ground squirrels. Bob's been waging war most of the summer and more keep coming back.
    I like your she shed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Marilyn,
    Those are cute ground squirrels and I would not be able to kill them!
    There is food enough for all and let them be.
    Indeed, a garden is a never–ending chore and it is also very rewarding!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bom dia, Marilyn
    Passando por aqui para conhecer o seu blog, lugar encantador. Lindo o seu jardim, a esperança da vida eterna com Cristo nos dá ânimo diante das adversidades, um forte abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your she shed. What a wonderful place to sit and reflect, read your Bible and listen to natures music. I know your battle with the squirrels well. I had the same both years we were in the house here and I tried to have a small garden. They destroyed all except the zuchinni. I only picked about 6 green beans in total.
    We were in Spokane for last weeks heat wave and I empathize with you about the heat. Priest Lake is a beautiful place to beat the heat. We're in the 90's here but the humidity makes it so much worse.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your she shed is so beautiful, Marilyn, and I certainly can picture you there taking time to pray and reflect upon all your many blessings. A garden is continual work, indeed, but imagining the eventual harvest makes every drop of sweat well worth it. I can't believe that you had those horrible temperatures, but that lake was the perfect place to escape for a while. May you and yours be filled with the richness of God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden thoughts were good thoughts to read, Those weeds really are a constant reminder of the fall. So thankful we have an eternal hope. You are an inspiration with how you garden and use your bounty, too. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You for sharing your She Shed. It is lovely. It is so inviting. Love the way you have it fixed with the teacup and chairs. Enjoy
    Joan,Marilyn and Marion

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enlarged the picture of the interior of your she-shed and just looked and looked at it. It's so lovely and just my style. If I had more years I'd rearrange my garden shed to look like that. Then I could store my "extra" tea sets etc..
    It's a shame about the ground squirrels. I hope you find a way to deal with them. At least they don't bother your lovely clematis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your shed, Marilyn! So pretty; it's like stepping back in time somehow.
    I'm sorry for your ground squirrel issues and the damage they've done to your garden. I hope the "plague" will end soon.
    I can sympathize with you over weeds. Our spring in Texas saw a Lot of rain. There were hundreds of weeds that, of course, mowing couldn't cure. I pulled them by hand and with a trowel. It's amazing how fast weeds grow.
    I appreciated your thoughts. Weeds in our lives sprout up too, and we have to "'keep on our toes" to pull them out, by God's grace. I too can't wait for for that wonderful day when all will be made new and for eternity!
    God bless,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I would love to have a she shed. I mean, a place for just me! You have a lot going on around your place and I know it feels so wonderful to be able to escape to your beautiful Shed. We have had so much amazing rain this summer, which has caused the weeds, the yards, and yes our flowers to grow so fast. It is difficult to keep the weeds out of my flower beds. I enjoyed this beautiful post and your words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi friend! What a lovely place to be this time of year! The trip to Priest Lake must have been devine in the heat! Your place and your garden continue to amaze me.. and so do you! What a hard worker you are! I was wondering, how is your new house build coming? You haven't mentioned it so I'm curious! Any time I've had a garden, or flowers, there are always pests to destroy some of it.. I usually try to share but sometimes it gets very discouraging.. whether deer or bugs or earrings (which I fought with at my Madras house for years!) or slugs (here in Astoria). Those slugs are really pesty and so far, can't get rid of them.. so they get to enjoy some of my flowers leaves. The beauty of nature and God never cease to amaze me and give me such joy. Now that I live in such a gorgeous part of Oregon, I'm much happier to be "within" the green and trees, and close to rivers and creeks. It sure all feeds the soul! Keep taking some time to dream away in your She Shed! I have a little shed, but for now, it's a tool, camping and garden stuff shed.. no room for me to sit! Take care.. live well... hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your own bit of heaven on earth when you can unwind from the toil and enjoy the beauty. Thankyou for sharing your She Shed. I have to say, I am a bit jealous as wrong as that may be, lol. You have more than your share of work to do with the garden and canning. And what pests those mammals are. Hope they start thinning out before your crops thin too much. Give that Bandit a snuggle from us here. You are an uplifting person to blog for us. Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful pictures. Never knew about these garlic scape. Must try growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can easily see how soaking in the beauty of God's creation in sights and sounds and meditating in your she shed would recharge your "batteries," Marilyn. Thank you for sharing your gardening experiences. :) I can't garden anymore, but years ago planting marigolds around the garden kept the rabbits away and I just read it can help with squirrels as well. Not sure about ground squirrels though since they can dig underneath! 😬 Happy gardening! Love and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, a lovely, honest post my dear friend.
    I am busy harvesting as well. Basil is currently in our dehydrator. Raspberries are picked daily and placed in the freezer. We did our first batch of dill pickles. :-)
    Happy Harvest Days,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. The weeding and cutting of grass seems to never end for sure. Usually the summer gets so hot and we don't have to do as much yard work but with all the rain and flooding we had the grass is growing like a weed, and the weeds are enjoying it too, I will have to say though that the flowers are very pretty too, so we get beauty in the midst of all the weeds. So nice you were able to get away and take a break and enjoy the lake

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your She Shed and all of your collections, Marilyn! You are the 3rd person I've heard from this week who has a dehydrator and uses it to process their garden harvest. Who knew! I need to get with the gardening times!! Enjoy the weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is always much to do in a garden, I enjoyed your photographs.
    The trip to Priest Lake looks very nice.

    Enjoy these last few days of July, the month seems to have whizzed by!

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post! I enjoyed it so much and look forward to watching your latest video. You are such a dear blessing to me. God bless you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini