Things are a little nutty around here!

Friday, June 5, 2015



There were a whole bunch of nuts just lying around in water for 48 hours....


.... and it was time for the nuts to get a bath!


I love it when nutty things happen... almond milk is my new love... and it brings me great pleasure to make it myself!


I wonder who first found out that nut milk is possible?  Whoever it was, I thank them...


And I found that the fun just kept growing!


Nuts and more nuts making nut milk!


But the fun didn't stop with the nut milk!  Nope!  It just kept getting better and better!


The nuttiness continued!  These nuts just kept giving and giving!


While the leftover nuts took a little heat... here is the result of 2 cups of soaked nuts!  1 gallon of milk, plus 1 cup! Wow!


Oh the deliciousness! Beautiful nutty milk!


Drying both ground and soaked nuts to extend the goodness!



While the remaining nuts and nut grounds were drying... I made my morning smoothie with the fresh almond milk... (If you would like to know how I make my smoothies, here is a link to a post about how I do it... http://mountaintopspice.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-berry-box-smoothie.html).


After the nuts dried out...


... they got transformed into almond flour/meal ...



Do you know how much almond flour costs?  It is a lot! 1 pound (2 cups) of almond flour costs approximately $10.00, while buying raw almonds generally costs about $6.00 pound... so you are saving 4.00 a pound by making your own raw almond milk, and nut flour!  I like how those savings add up!

Never made almond milk before?  It is so easy, you will wonder why you didn't get a little nutty before!

ALMOND MILK 

Just take 1-2 cups of almonds, and soak them for up to 48 hours in filtered water, and every 12 hours, drain the soaking water and replace with fresh filtered water.

After the soaking water is drained after soaking for approximately 36-48 hours, you are ready to make milk!  Simply place the soaked almonds in your blender, and add 4 cups filtered water and blend. Watch the beautiful frothy milk appear!

Pour the blended almonds into a gallon jar through muslin, or nut milk bag (which is what I used) to filter out the grounds. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the muslin/nut milk bag, and then pour nut grounds back into blender and add another 4 cups of filtered water.  You can keep doing this for approximately 3 times until the grounds become very dry and coarse.  Then... if you want to keep the goodness going, you can place the almond nut grounds in the oven on your oven's lowest setting (my oven lowest setting is 170 degrees).  Leave in oven for several hours until all moisture has been dried out.  You can place the grounds back in your blender and blend until the mixture is very fine, and your almond flour is ready to use!  Use in any recipe calling for almond flour or almond meal.

I like the fact that making my own almond milk extends the almonds from milk, to nut flour, which is a huge savings over just purchasing nut milk at the store!

And one of my favorite recipes for using almond flour is highlighted in a previous post of mine, where you can make "Grab-n-Go" hot pockets.  Yummy!



 Hope you enjoyed this nutty adventure today... has it ever been a little "nutty" at your house? :)


23 comments

  1. I love this post...please share more ideas with photos. I have just removed all sugar and flour from my diet as it seems to cause a lot of inflammation in my body. This recipe has given me hope that I can eat again! Thanks so much for taking time to show the step by step photos, they were great.
    I'm going out to get some almonds...Have a blessed day, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, it is not much fun having the inflammation symptoms, or cutting out sugar and flour! I am glad that this "nutty" post inspired you to try the almond milk, I find it very nourishing. It is also very good with cacao powder mixed in with your favorite natural sweetener, a nice sweet treat without the sugar! My son likes to drink almond milk with Ovaltine as well. I hope that your quest for feeling better provides some lasting relief for your symptoms. Many hugs, and appreciation for your visit today :)

      Delete
  2. Domestically creative, as always! :-D

    I wonder what kind of nut trees can grow in our local area-- and if you can make milk from those...?

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Raquel
    www.atthenewlyweds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Good to see you back blogging again! It was fun making the almond milk, and we are enjoying drinking it. My son likes to drink it with chocolate Ovaltine, yum! I prefer it in smoothies. I have no idea about nut trees in our area... all I see growing naturally here are pine, fir and cedar trees, lol! Thanks for your visit today, much appreciated! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, everything you made looks delish!
    Thank you for sharing~ I've often wished there was a more cost efficient way to use almond in my baking, etc., and hope to try some of your ideas.
    I make a lot of smoothies, vegetable and fruit ones....almond milk make them all taste better.
    Have a happy weekend!
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by today Ashleigh! Indeed, cooking with almond flour that you purchase is quite expensive. Sometimes I use a gluten-free flour mix as well instead of almond flour. I do not have to eat gluten-free, but just enjoy trying to cut back on carbs as much as possible. I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well :)

      Delete
  4. Shut Up! Oh- sorry...WHO KNEW!?!!!??? THAT is how they make almond milk? Here all this time I pictured little men milking those little almonds as they were lined up waiting their turn. Guess you had to be a farm girl to "get that". lol That sounds delicious and I do love almond milk. Thanks for telling us how to do it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're a hoot Diana! Indeed, nut milk is awesomely delicious, and not hard to do.... :)

      Delete
  5. How resourceful you are! From a pan of almonds you got milk, flour, a smoothie and handfuls of crunchy snacks! Amazing pics of the process, too! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Happy weekend to you!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to know that so much goodness can come from a few nuts! Glad you enjoyed the "how to"... it is a lot of fun to make your own nut milk ... happy weekend to you too!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful informative post.. I really want to try this.. What did you put in your smoothie? As if you didn't give enough information.. grin..
    Enjoyed all the pics from past post, too.. Such a beautiful area that you live in..
    So glad, too that you happened to find my blog.. God bless.. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye, thanks for stopping by for a visit! I have a post on how I make my smoothies and you can find it here: http://mountaintopspice.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-berry-box-smoothie.html Hope this helps! :) Hope your day is filled with blessings, and the sweet presence of the Lord :)

      Delete
    2. I saw that the link didn't come up in my reply as one you could click on. I will edit my post above, and add the link there for you, and anyone else who is interested :)

      Delete
  7. My husband tells me I'm a good cook, but when I read a post like this, I know I've got so much more to learn. This sounds both easy and amazing!
    Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much more to learn too! Things are endless... how you can do things yourself from scratch - quite a challenge, considering how dependent we've all become on the grocery store. One step at a time! LOL! I hope you give it a try :) Thanks for the visit here today, much appreciated, I just love making new friends :) Many blessings to you today!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I had no idea, my friend! I feel like a complete airhead for not realizing you could do all of this with nuts.... :) This is just fabulous, dear one! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing with us - I have learned something new today.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this nutty post! I am still enjoying my almond milk, but it is going quick, so I need to make more, lol! It is a great way to "do it yourself" and save some money along the way :) Appreciate your visit today, and hope you having a beautiful Monday! :)

      Delete
  9. Hello There! I LOVE IT! I have seen a few things on making your own almond milk, but was afraid to try it and now....Wow! Yes, I want to now! I love that you made your own almond flour too. That stuff is crazy expensive!

    Those hot pockets you made are making me hungry... I want to come over and bake with you!

    I hope you are having a great summer. It's been definitely nutty around here and I have nothing to show for it... Haha!

    Take Care, my friend!

    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, almond milk is so delicious, and it is quite easy to do! I would love to bake with you too... everything you make looks so easy, and your lemon bread is still one of my all-time favorite quick desserts to make! Hope you are enjoying the beautiful days of summer, have a blessed and wonderful Monday!

      Delete
  10. Amazing. I am not a cook, so when I see people do things like this, I am really in awe. My kids and hubby like to cook. I am sharing for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite easy to do really... and that is always important to me! Glad you enjoyed... thanks for you visit today! :(

      Delete
  11. This is great and very informative. We don't eat a lot of nuts but I would love to try this and see what it is like. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to make the almond milk! In fact, I have some almonds soaking today that I will make into more milk. It is so good. Praying the Lord blesses your day with His Presence. Much love in Christ!

      Delete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini