Our New Home Arrives!

Monday, June 29, 2015

For the past couple of years, ever since we purchased 10 acres, we have been dreaming, planning, and trying to save to build.  It was our hope to build a darling cabin on our acreage.  However, as more and more time progressed, we realized that it is hard to pay bills on two different pieces of property, and try to save money, so our thoughts turned to how we could just move out to our land, and thus save money by living there, and then building as we can.  After making that decision this past year, we began actively looking at options for something to live in while we save to build.

Our options ran a big gamut from travel trailer, to park model trailer, to remodeling a shed into a home, to a single wide mobile home, and then even considering a double wide mobile home.  The Lord opened up the door for us just a couple of weeks ago (see this post and this post to see just how this came to be), so that we could purchase at a very cheap price, an older single wide mobile home, and it was something affordable for us, and that we could make work.


The past two weeks have been a flurry of activity around here as the process to ready our land for the arrival of the trailer began.


We needed trees taken out, trenches dug for water, sewer and electric lines, and a gravel pad put down. All of this of course took place while my husband was out of town, working to pay for it all.  We have had experience in the past with setting up a mobile home, but my husband was always around to make the important decisions -- but not this time.  I was dealing with the contractor trying to decide where best to put the house, and making important decisions about the moving of the trailer, consulting with my husband along the way, yet.... there is nothing like having him here to see, and make the decisions.  It was a big weight for me, as he always has been the one to make these kinds of decisions.  However, I prayed every step of the way, and the Lord blessed me with peace about it all.


Our son and our dear friend JH went to prepare the home for travel.  All the skirting had to be taken off, and the addition separated from the home, porches had to be removed and all the blocks underneath the home had to be stacked and brought to the gravel pad.  It was a lot of work for them to do.


The home is small, very small!  It is a 14 x 56 mobile home, built back in 1977.  However the previous owner had gutted the home, replaced the insulation, had it all rewired, put up sheet rock all throughout the home, and new windows.



Once my husband arrived home, we went to look at the house together.  I had not seen it yet in person either, as I had decided to wait and see it with him.  It was a huge leap of faith to buy this home without ever seeing it, but we knew the Lord's hand was in the midst of it all.



This is the 14 x 8' porch addition that comes with the home.  It is unfinished, but has four large windows, and has great "bones" that we will be able to use.  We plan to insulate it, finish the floors, roof and walls, and make it into one part mudroom, and one part office for me.  I love the large windows!


There is still quite a work of that needs to be done cosmetically to the inside of the home.  There are a few kitchen cabinets, but they will need replaced.  This bar area will need to be finished.  Carpeting and linoleum will need to be pulled out, and a new floor surface put down.


The stove is quite a mess, and will be tossed.  We will replace it most likely with a gas stove.


One of the things that quite impressed me about the home was the large new storm windows with screens that were installed, that allow lots of light into the home, and the ability to see out into our yard easily.


This is the small second bedroom, which will be our daughter's.  It is a lot smaller than the bedroom she has, but we are going to make it work.  She wants to paint the room a soft baby or turquoise blue.


The bathroom is in decent shape.  The floors had all been replaced with new boards, and a new tub installed.  I will no doubt want to change the vanity out at some point, and of course the camouflage curtain will be the first to go! ... lol!


There is room in the corner for a shelving unit which we will use as a linen closet.



This is the master bedroom.  It is very small!  However, we will have room for the necessities that we need.  Again... the curtains will be tossed... lol!



There are no ceiling light fixtures in the house, except for one in the kitchen.  The ceilings are low, only about 7'.  The previous owner installed these "lanterns" for light fixtures.  I am sure I will find something to replace them, as well...  :)


This is the master closet, which is actually pretty nice, and has been redone.  There are closet doors that just need to be hung.

Finally the big day came, this past Saturday, when the mover was able to come and move the trailer to its new home.


Here is a better picture of the addition.  This was not able to be moved Saturday, because the mover didn't have equipment ready to haul it.  He will be moving the addition this week sometime.


Here is the trailer being readied for transport.


... And its arrival to our property...


... a wide swing coming in...


... and getting straightened out


The gravel pad all readied for the arrival of the trailer...


It took a little maneuvering to get it straight, but not much...


... and there it was!


The movers worked very hard to level it and it was quite late when they left, so I didn't get a picture of that.  I know it doesn't look like much... in fact it looks pretty small doesn't it!  Yet, we purchased this home for $3000 and we own it free and clear!  My husband keeps asking me - how does it feel to own your home?  LOL!  It feels great!

We have a LOT of work ahead of us, but --  our dream of living simple, and debt-free -- is much closer to being a reality!  In particular, the kitchen will need a cheap remodel.  I don't want anything expensive, as that would negate the whole purpose of what we are doing.  I have plans to visit our local Habitat for Humanity to see what they may have, and I have also been scouring craigslist looking for cabinets as well.  We plan on replacing the flooring and painting to begin with, and then see what happens next.

If any of you have any suggestions for the upcoming renovations that we will need to do, be sure and leave me a comment!  I would love to hear any tips or helpful ideas that would allow this process to move along more smoothly!







25 comments

  1. This looks lovely! I can already picture it furnished and painted. I just know you are going to make it into a wonderful home for your family. I can smell the bread baking from here!! Best of luck with your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It is rather exciting to be thinking about all the possibilities, along with keeping within our frugal budget. It will be a work in progress for quite a while, but I too, can't wait for the day when it feels like home, and I've got sourdough bread cooking in the oven :) Appreciate your visit today... hoping your day is full of joy! Many hugs!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you! We often speak about getting out of a house payment. We have been debt free a long time except for the mortgage and we often desire total freedom from debt. You are an inspiration, and I know you are going to have lots of fun being creative and getting that darling trailer turned into a little house of dreams!
    Please keep showing photos...I cannot wait to see how it shapes up!
    Hugs from Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is going to be a lot of work to get it ready to move into, but it will be exciting as well. We still have our land debt and a few other debts that will need paid off, but at least we won't have a house payment... oh joy! I am looking forward to living cheap and simply... and will certainly share the photos of our journey... appreciate your visit so very much, and hope you are having a wonderful joy filled day! Many hugs across the miles!

      Delete
  3. "joy in the journey" and "give us this day..." My suggestion for decorating, etc?
    Do it the same way you bought the house. The Lord is a great decorator and keeps budget in mind as well as stretching faith. Have always done it that way. Never know how it's gonna turn out, but fun to do. Such a blessing to have it in place. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed... lessons from the Lord are being learned, and applied! It is so wonderful to see His hand working in it all, and what joy it is to know I can have my daily bread each day from Him, fresh, with great peace, and leave the future in His capable hands. It helps so much to have this perspective! It is a blessing for it to finally be there, and the next step, moving in... will be exciting too! Many changes along the way, but joy through it all! Hoping you are having a blessed and beautiful day sprinkled with a bit of rain and some sunshine! :) Many hugs!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new debt free home! How exciting!! It looks pretty nice on the outside and I know with some elbow grease and your creative touch it will be a very nice place in no time! Very excited to finally see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, lots of elbow grease and hopefully creativity will be happening! Today we started to remove the flooring... all I can say is - ugh! It is slow going (glued flooring), but that is okay. One day at a time!

      Delete
  5. You will have this home looking like a dollhouse in no time, I have no doubt. I am so impressed by your humility and willingness to submit to God's will and His provisions. Would you be willing to email me privately? I have a question I wanted to ask you, if possible. God bless you in your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words, they are humbling to me! Most certainly I would be glad to communicate with you! Thank you so much for your visit, and words today, they mean so very much! Many hugs sent your way :)

      Delete
  6. I can't convey how VERY excited I am for you!!!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley! It is so exciting indeed! Today we started ripping out flooring... that is slow going, lol. Glued 1970s flooring at that. Appreciate your visit and your thoughts :)

      Delete
  7. How wonderful!! You will make it just cozy and clean and paid for...
    I have seen so many nice things done with chalk paint! Also wooden pallets and maybe a bookcase put right in a wall for added shelves. I am so happy for you!
    We live in a double wide and we have remodeled every part of it. We love it!
    A home is where we are safe and together...
    Thinking of you and you are a joy to us all!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it is funny you mention chalk paint, but I was seeing some things on pinterest earlier when looking for ideas on cabinets! Wooden pallets are a great idea, and a bookcase would be wonderful too! Appreciate you sharing your kind and special thoughts, they mean so much! Today we started ripping up flooring, and it is slow going! Many hugs and love to you :)

      Delete
  8. Hi there :)

    How exciting! I can't wait to see you make this house a home. I'm so glad you left me a comment. Nice to "meet" you!

    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be quite a project Rue, and I'm so glad that we have "met" too! Blogging has brought the sweetest people into my life. It is such a blessing! I hope to visit you again soon. Right now, we are so busy, I have not had time to "make my blogging rounds", but hope to soon when some of the dust settles, lol! Appreciate your visit today :)

      Delete
  9. I can't imagine living any other way ( debt- free). So happy for you! A home is made from the heart.....you will do fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, a home is where the people you love are! It must be wonderful to live debt-free... and that is truly our goal! I know that you work so very hard and yet, what a wonderful thing it is to enjoy your labors knowing you are in debt to no man... such peace! May the Lord continue to bless you in all you do... many hugs! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh sweet friend, I am so, so, so excited for you! Yes, it may need some work, but what fun for you to make this home YOURS! I know you will have a wonderful time adding your personal touches.

    Hugs to you, dear one! And Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it certainly does need some work, but it is going to be fun to see how cute and homey we can make it, as cheaply as possible! That is our goal, and it will be interesting to see it all come together. Appreciate you and your visit today so much... I am sorry that I have not had time to make my "blogging rounds" this week, but hopefully soon some dust will settle, and I'll have time to visit my blogging friends :) Happy 4th to you as well, and may the blessings of the Lord be with you! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness...I am utterly delighted for you and your dear family! What an exciting moment...and I am sure you must be thrilled to own your own home - this was such an inspiring post for me to read! You see, we so dearly would love our own piece of land one day (we are renting at present) and wonder how we'd ever be able to do so... But seeing how you've opted to live in a mobile home for the time being is just oh! So very encouraging! I am going to show my sweet mother your post...thank you so much for sharing...I truly enjoyed this:)
    Have a beautiful and blessed day, and a wonderful month of July!
    Enjoy settling into your sweet new home!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words Kelly-Anne! Our dream to be debt free is closer to reality, and it is so very exciting, and I'm thankful to have encouraged and inspired you too! It is amazing how the Lord has blessed us in so many little ways, and each day is a new adventure with Him! He has been supplying our daily bread in amazing ways, and I am so thankful to be on this journey with Him! Praying the Lord blesses you and your family richly, in all you do! Many hugs across the miles! :)

      Delete
  12. What an exciting time for you and your family. Lots of work, but a labor of love, I'm sure. You will have such a rich feeling of accomplishment with every step you take. Your faith is an inspiration to all of us!
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it has been quite a journey and every step of the way the Lord has been granting me peace and wisdom with all the decisions and things that need to be done. Tomorrow we find out how much flooring will be, and will have to make that decision before we go too much further. It is a lot of work, but I am just so thankful that we have this little home to live in and fix up... not to mention our spectacular views out in the country! God is so good, and I pray He continues to bless your day as well! I will try to get by for a visit very soon... it has been so busy around here (I have company too!) but when things settle down a bit, I'll be back to my regular "blog rounds". Many hugs my friend :)

      Delete
  13. Wow! You guys did great on the price, and to think that's it all re-wired and the insulation redone. That's huge, my friend! I love the front door. I think when you put all your creativity and love into this home it's going to be very sweet. I love that you're doing this and sharing all the details. I'll enjoy following your journey. Hugs, Nancy P.S. What does the bathroom vanity look like behind the cami curtain? Is it like a washstand? Does it have a shelf? I'm just thinking how cute that could look painted and left as is. Without the curtain, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini