A Season with Peace at all Times

Friday, April 17, 2020

Life continues gently on through these early spring days filled with wild weather (we had an earthquake here a couple of weeks ago with no damage), a strange virus and uncertain moments.

Yet, in the midst of all this, the seasons continue on just as they always have done, and that is comforting to me.

Song of Solomon 2:11-13
For now the winter is past; 
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers have appeared in the countryside;
the season of singing has come,
and the cooing of turtledoves
is heard in our land.
The fig tree ripens its figs;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.

The first signs of spring in my garden are the magnificent crocus that pop their heads out above the snow, and begin to bloom.  Tiny in stature, but bright and colorful in nature, they are a delight to first behold after a long winter's season!




In early April... a late winter/early spring snowstorm came and brought the earth what some call "poor man's fertilizer."

Seeds have been started in my greenhouse as we prepare for the gardening season,
even while snow falls outside, there is hope inside my greenhouse! Several years ago I had such wonderful results using plastic fruit containers for starting seeds that I have continued to use them.  They come with their own built-in lids, and are just perfect for getting seeds started.  Because our temps dip down so low at night still, I keep a heat lamp on at night. 

With flour becoming a commodity hard to find, I thought I would make homemade bread using wheat berries that we had purchased years ago from Wheat Montana.  They last a long time,
and are a wonderful way to store flour where it won't go bad. 

I used my NutriBullet to grind the berries using the milling attachment that came with it. 

This is a closer look at what wheat berries look like.  They are just hard-shelled little kernels of wheat. 

After I milled the berries in my NutriBullet, I sifted the flour.  The hard kernels that don't grind, I feed to my chickens :) 

Here is the recipe I used to make this bread. It is a King Arthur recipe.
I personally love King Arthur flour, but any flour can be used.
I made this loaf in the bread machine, using the dough setting.
When finished, I form the loaf and let it rise again. 

Just out of the oven! I brush my bread with butter after I remove from the oven, and then let it cool.
The butter helps to soften the crust. 

Homemade bread at its finest.  This bread was soft, tender, and perfect.
I highly recommend this very easy way of making bread for your family :) 

 Oh my, if this picture doesn't make you want to bake your own loaf of homemade bread...  {smiles}
I need to make some more! 

I've been busy making masks. This is the pattern requested by the local hospital. Many other people in the community are making masks too, and it is remarkable how everyone has pulled together to make a difference in the hour of need. 

On a beautiful afternoon with warm sunshine sprinkling the air with its delight,
my husband and I drove down to the little lake just down from our home.
It was so peaceful there. 

After the snow melted, it was time to get busy in my garden with early spring projects.  The first one on the list was to change up my little garden sitting area.  I had found this large blue "carpet" of sorts... it is plastic, and very very heavy.  It was the perfect size of my sitting area, and I had put it down last fall.
 We rolled it up and rototilled the soil and evened it all out. 

We added landscape timbers over the blue plastic carpet, and put down wood chips.
We are able to get these wood chips for free from a local mill. Such a blessing! 
It took about two truck bed loads of the wood chips, and then it was a full day's worth of work
to put my little area back together again after a long winter's nap. 
Here is my little area... it will change as I putter around and get new ideas.
But it makes me smile to have it done :) 
I rearranged my little she-shed as well.  I moved my two pink chairs inside, as they don't do well with outside weather conditions.  I also have an old school desk that I found at a garage sale.
I set up a "tea table" with a collection of my outdoor tea pretties.  

You may remember the tea quilt that I was working on last summer.  It has found a place to call home :) 

This little space brings me great joy, indeed. 


Welcome to my Prayer Garden!

On Easter morning, I went to the garden, and to my delight, there had just bloomed this daffodil.
This is an early variety that blooms without much height, but oh how beautiful the sight was to see! 

And also in bloom was this hyacinth.  My heart was blessed to see the color on this special morning. 

Our church held an outdoor sunrise service, which we do every year.  This year it seemed even more special
as we were so thankful to be able to gather together, and rejoice in our risen Savior! 
For Easter dinner, we cooked some meat on our smoker, and I made homemade rolls
with the last of the green beans from my garden last year.  


My husband cooked dessert in our Dutch oven... a family favorite, Huckleberry cobbler. 

Scrumptious! 

I want to share this familiar portion of scripture with you today: 

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
To everything, there is a season,
and a time for every purpose under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to break down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to count as lost,
a time to keep and a time to discard,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

This is a troubling season that we are all facing.  The days seem very dark and dismal for many, as financial fallout from the virus in most cases seem to be worse than the virus itself. It is hard to fathom what the outcome of this will be.  

But I want to encourage you that it is just a season.  It is a time appointed that we will walk through, and someday we will look back and there will be heartache mixed with smiles, tears mixed with laughter on these days... but we will get through them.  Our faith in our Lord is a foundation we can stand upon.  His Word is true and unchanging.  

While the season seems rough, wild, and uncertain, He is constant, ever near and present, and will see us through.  I pray for hearts to look to Him, and that He would receive all glory in this time we are in.  

I do believe, with all my heart, that this event has not taken our Lord by surprise, and that He has a plan.  Remember Calvary... how dark the world turned at the time of Jesus' death, how dismal the outlook seemed, and yet three days later, how that all changed.  Our Lord is able to turn this situation around and use it for His glory and His eternal plan.  


II Thessalonians 3:16 
Now may the Lord of peace himself 
give you peace at all times 
and in every way. 
The Lord be with all of you.


37 comments

  1. We are all ready for the end of this isolation. It it will be some time yet. Take care, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an encouraging post. I love seeing how you decorate your she shed too! What pretty old fashioned things that bring comfort! And I made homemade bread this week too and I'm all set to make another one of my tried and true recipes for hamburger buns. Take care and stay safe! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an uplifting post. Your sitting area and she shed are a delight, a true feast for the eyes. I enjoyed every moment taking it all in. Good for the spirit too, your positivity is a joy. I trust the Lord and live in hope that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post today. So many people are quoting Ecclesiastes right now, it is so very apt.
    The loaf of bread....womnderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread looks amazing, Marilyn, and your decorations are so cheery and colorful. Yes, spring is here, and we will get through this time together, with God's help!
    Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good words, Marilyn. I love the bread! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was a pleasure to read this post...positive while recognizing hard hard times. You do a wonderful job creating beauty...like that loaf of bread, though I am not inspired to bake one of my own. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your she shed and your outdoor area! What a beautiful place and I bet you spend many happy hours there! Thanks for this post. That bread looks amazing. I make an Italian Easter bread every year to share with my family and never can leave it alone when I have it! Your post today was beautiful and the end especially comforting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marilyn, this was such a beautiful post and just what I needed today. Your bread looks delicious and from wheat berries no less! I've been to Wheat, MT often but have never bought wheat berries, just fresh baked bread!
    I enjoyed the tour of your sitting area and she shed. All of your treasures amaze me. They stay outside all of the time and survive our wild weather up here? I enjoyed looking at everything, especially the teacups, teapots and the quilt. Thank you for sharing and being such a calming post in the midst of turmoil everywhere around us. I hope you enjoy the beautiufl sunshine we have today my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum!!! I had been on the hunt for a grain mill. I mentioned it to my MIL who said, you want one? She had one she no longer uses so just this morning, I picked up some organic berries to give it a whirl. :-) Toasted w/ butter melting on it - oh double yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, there's so much to love about this post. Your makeover of the gardening areas turned out oh-so-magnificently! And, the food.... wow! so much inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cobbler looks delicious, as does the bread. I would live to wander around your yard and see all the pretty displays. Yes, all that is happening is no surprise to God and He has it all under control.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this post. The photos, the stories, the food -- and especially the encouraging words at the end. So true, it is just a season, though it is truly a hard season. As you said, the financial fallout does seem worse (much worse) than the virus itself. We can't forget that some families' lives have been seriously damaged, if not destroyed, by the economic impact on them. And yet, we know it is no surprise to God and He has a good purpose in all that He allows. He will indeed see us through. He will never leave us. Thanks so much for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post! You included a few of my favorite scripture passages. I love Spring, and I love that God promises us the changing of seasons.
    Your outdoor Easter service sounds wonderful and your meal is yummy!
    Last, but not least - the bread. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a regular renaissance woman, Marilyn. I never know exactly what I will find when I come to visit, but it's always interesting and inspiring...and that bread?? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful encouraging post. I love the idea of your prayer garden. Your outdoor Easter service sounded great. Huckleberry cobbler in a dutch oven...looks amazing. We are in a season for sure and it's good to know the one who is in control of seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely images and words!!! That cobbler look scrumptious! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry about my comment being removed, Marilyn. I was going to fix what I wrote, because my sentences repeated for some reason....but instead I just removed it. lol.
    I wish I could bake bread like you do...what a great looking loaf! Bless your heart for making the masks that are so badly needed for protection due to the virus. I love all of your verses, and encouraging words in this post. They are uplifting, just as all of your photos of your lovely garden areas are. Is your she shed completely enclosed? What fun you must have working with every piece you have out in your space! Such a delightful place you have created! Have a wonderful Sunday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice to catch up on your news, Marilyn, you are certainly keeping busy. I've never seen striped crocus before, it is a case of love at first sight.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was such a joy to visit with you tonight, sweet friend! I LOVE your she-shed!!! I am going to pin the pictures - they are just so pretty, especially the pink chairs! I am so thankful your church was able to have the Easter service in spite of all that is going on. There is so much joy to be found right in the midst of such difficult circumstances. It's funny how not much of life has really changed for some of us. I almost forget sometimes all that is going on outside our quiet, peaceful home. My heart aches for those who are so sick and have lost loved ones, and I just trust we all learn everything from this time that God is trying to teach us. God bless you and keep you and your family safe and healthy continually!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful and heart warming post, lovely Marilyn; filled with delicious baking, pretty flowers, pretty she sheds, sweet, sweet homey pretties and beautiful words of the Lord from your heart. I love that passage in Ecclesiastes. There are many seasons in our lives and this is just one. My heart is saddened though for all those who have suffered great loss at this time. The images coming out of your country are just so, so sad. I just hope that at the other end of this people will reflect upon their lives, ponder the things of God, and live a more simple life and be kind to one another. The world cannot be what it was before this tragic time, but of course hope is always a flame shining brightly. Take care in your beautiful spring-filled world, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your wonderful outdoor spaces are beautiful, inspiring, whimsical, fun! I leave here smiling and motivated, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you little garden area! So pretty! I can just imagine what a lovely place to sit and enjoy your garden. And yes...I definitely want to make some homemade bread now! :)

    We had a little fire down by the river yesterday and cooked lunch over it. I used one of my cast iron pots and the grate off of our grill. I am so excited to get out the rest of my camping cast iron and do some cooking outside over the fire. Your husband's cobbler looks delicious!

    Things are so uncertain for us right now. They were uncertain BEFORE the virus. But God is so good and I can't even express the joy and peace it brings me to see how he is providing for us. And most importantly I love how he is teaching me to rest in Him. We truly don't have to worry about tomorrow! He does have a plan!

    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marilyn, what a precious peaceful post your have shared with us. I absolutely feel comforted by your choice of photographs, Scripture, and thoughts. Thank you so much, dear friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful post Marilyn. I loved it all - and snow in April! Wow! When I lived in Sheridan, Wyoming years ago, I remember one Memorial Day that we had 4 inches of snow! I'll never forget that! Your garden area is coming along so prettily (is that a word?) and love your she shed! Oh to have a she shed....... or a tea shed! As I see your larger garden/sitting area, it makes me think that maybe our dirt and weed patch could become a large wildflower garden and sitting area. We've tried everything to grow grass there, have raked and hoed and dug and seeded, etc. but the weeds just come back full force and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of them. I've "weeded and feeded" or just "weeded" and dug some more, but in Spring, it is one big giant weed garden! We were going to cover it with gravel last year but never got to it. Now we are hoping to get it covered this year.... and I want some raised flower beds with paths between (gravel of course). Now I think I should just sow some wildflowers there and to heck with doing anything else. Maybe I can surround it with a white picket fence and it could be my wildflower garden!

    It is so fun to see flowers start popping up here and there - love daffodils and hyacinths.. my mom used to have the hyacinths. I've tried planting them a few times but I don't think they like this climate as they don't winter over.

    Your church bonfire and picnic looked wonderful - are you not social distancing? Most churches seem to be only having services via online. I wish I had one of those programs like Zoom or skype or whatever.. so I could visit with my sisters and son that way. I miss them all so much! Well.. take care and hope this week is bringing you some warm weather - we're having 70's here which I love! Hugs to you... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your little space makes me SMILE!
    Like so many have shared, your blog posts are comforting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a magical garden you've made!
    What a wonderful life you are living.
    Be blessed dearie,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's always fun to set up the seasonal things outside. How sweet to have flowers bloom on Easter Day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The quiet, peacefulness of the lake is wonderful.

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your bread looks amazing, Marilyn!! I love baking bread, too. Your garden area, your she-shed and your prayer area are so special. Your tea quilt looks so pretty! I always love seeing your beautiful pictures of your heavenly space.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for such a beautiful, inspiring post! What a wonderful place to live, enjoying the peace of nature! I will add you as a new read, if that is ok with you? Came here anxious, and leaving with a peaceful heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The signs of spring are such treasures, and those crocus are so beautiful! I love that you have your greenhouse going...and it's great you can heat it to keep the seedlings happy.
    I know that it's a lot of work for you in your special garden...but it is so very lovely!!!
    Your bread looks so very nice! A wonderful gift to put on the table for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am just getting around to this lovely post. I think I started on it earlier and got distracted, and now have come back. So glad I did. I love your beautiful outdoor area...and that special prayer garden, and your she-shed. Is that enclosed in glass or screen? Must be to have those things in there. I love it so much. Love that you had an outdoor Easter sunrise service. My hubby and I had our own here, but not with any fire. That would have been lovely too. It was too warm here, however. Yes, this season we are in is very different, but as you said, "this event has not taken our Lord by surprise". He is very much present in our every need, and ready to take care of us with abundance and grace. We are blessed to be His children. He will never forsake us. I loved this whole post. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It always feels good to set up outdoor spaces in spring. Love your she shed! I hope that some good comes from this very difficult time. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your garden area looks beautiful! You did a lot of work there and now relax and enjoy it. The wood chips are a clever idea! All the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That bread looks spectacular! Thank you for all the time you put into making masks. I hear the hospitals are very grateful for them when they can get them. Your Easter dinner looks so delicious. I'm glad you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini