February's Northern Lights Display!

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Late Sunday afternoon, Riley and I took an impromptu hike out to our back property because the skies were lit up in such rich color, and although I've seen so many beautiful sunsets, my heart draws me to see the next one, because each one is individually beautiful! God's artistry in the skies is always fresh, new, and glorious. 


As I kept stopping to watch the views of the sunset, Riley sat with me. What a sweet companion she is! I didn't take Annie, as she had already had her walk that morning.  We are trying to limit how often she walks with her unstable hips. I miss her on our walks so much! 


A view of the southern end of our property overlooking our wonderful neighbor's barns. 



A view from the back acreage of our property looking towards our home. 

As Riley and I walked back toward the house, I had the thought come to me - "oh my, tonight would be a glorious night to see the aurora". I knew the sun had been having solar flares, and the possibility existed that if the skies cleared, we might be able to see them.  Sure enough, later that evening, around 8 pm, I looked out my north-facing kitchen window and saw a green glow on the horizon! Oh, how exciting! So, I bundled up warmly, gathered my camera equipment, and headed outside.  



From my yard, facing directly north this is what I could see.  I knew from the past, that if I could see this much color here, it was worthwhile to drive to a better location where the views were much more open. 


This is down the road from us where the green glow was visible with the naked eye.  Keep in mind that as we are so much farther south than northern Canada and Alaska, we don't get the vibrancy in the skies that they get there.  The KP index (the measuring stick of how well you'll see the aurora) was at 5 at this point.  The highest I have seen the KP in our area is 8.  In Canada and Alaska, the KP is often as high as 50. So this gives you an idea, of how we get a rather "diluted" version of the aurora. 


So with your eyes, it can be hard in our area to see much in the way of color. 
However! Sunday night, even though the KP index was about 5-6, there were colors, and the sky was alive with movement! You could see the pillars, the waves, and the sky was alive, pulsating with the vibrancy of the aurora! 



Looking into the southern skies (you can see my pickup parked) this was the view! Incredible. This was at about 9 pm when the sun sets here around 5 p.m.  So the skies were alight with color. No aurora in the southern skies, but still, the light was reflecting! 



The colors variated starting mostly with greens.  As the flare progressed,
I was able to see yellows and reds! 


Overlooking our neighbor's yard. 



I then drove down to the river, where my hope was realized!
An even better view awaited me down there! 



This is when I began to really see the outstanding colors as they magnetized the sky with action. 



You can see the lights of homes on the hillsides. What a spectacular scene it was! 


A car drove by me, just after I started the 30-second exposure revealing its lights in the picture.
That was fun to see! 


As the aurora peaked in its colors over the river, my heart was skipping beats, and tears ran down my face, well - freezing on my face!  It was 17 degrees out, and I was cold. But it was just so beautiful!  Each picture that you are seeing took 30 seconds to capture. I took 300+ pictures.  I kept my truck running, and would hop in every once in a while to warm up. 


I needed about 4 cameras going all at once to catch all the action! 


This is one of the favorites that I captured.  It looks like an aurora rainbow of color! 



The half-moon was out, shining across the river. It was so beautiful too! 



See the pillars moving up from the green into the pink? So beautiful! 


The movement of color in the skies was astounding.  Now, you can't see this much color with the eye - however, you could see the green very clearly! The camera is able to pick up the lighter colors.  The farther north you go, the more your natural eye is able to clearly see these colors.  So, I highly recommend watching the show with your phone camera if you are in the lower 48 states because it will pick up more action than your eye can. 



Glory upon glory! Now the purples have arrived! 


Purples, pinks and blues began to mingle... as this particular flare was ebbing. 


Back to the green, so beautiful too! 



The pillars and streaks were amazing! 



Back at home, the colors were still amazing, yet fading from this particular flare.  Around midnight, I decided I better go warm up in my bed, rather than my pickup! I wish I could've stayed up all night.  My aunt in Canada remarked about glass igloos in Norway.  Hmm... now that sounds like something I could stay up all night in! However, we have SO much cloud cover here where I live that I probably wouldn't be able to use it very often.  Every time we get to see the aurora, it is SUCH a treat.  



Here is a picture of my camera, tripod, and the view with my phone camera. 


It was so cold, that the legs of my tripod were solid ice.  I felt like a block of ice too! I don't know why the brightest colors always come when it's so cold, but, that has been my experience. 



This picture was taken with my hand-held phone camera (Samsung Galaxy S20) for 7 seconds. 




With a bit of editing in my phone gallery, this is the picture that resulted. Again, a hand-held phone camera without a tripod captured this beauty.  Pretty exciting! 



One last picture - again this is from my phone camera, at about a 7-second exposure.  You can go into the manual settings on your phone's camera, change the ISO to 800, and to a 7 to 15-second exposure. If you are holding the camera by hand, 5-7 seconds max, otherwise the photo will be very blurry. 
For my Canon Mark II (a very old camera, but still does a great job), I had my settings at 800 ISO, 28 mm, f/4.5, and exposure at 30 seconds. 


As I was watching these lights in the sky, tears (albeit rather frozen ones) filled my eyes as I was worshipping the Lord and watching this beauty! So incredible to see the sky alive with movement, in pulsating waves of motion, as light swung from the chandeliers of heaven in rich tones of purple, green, yellow, and maroon.  The night was so cold, the sky was full of sparkling diamond stars, and the half-moon was bright and beautiful... oh the sky was just alive in so many ways!  I hope I have in some way helped you to see the beauty of that night, and to rejoice in the Lord who has created this beauty for us to enjoy! 

I think this passage of scripture in Nehemiah shares my heart perfectly: 

Blessed be Your glorious name,

and may it be exalted

above all blessing and praise.

You alone are the LORD.

You created the heavens,

the highest heavens with all their host,

the earth and all that is on it,

the seas and all that is in them.

You give life to all things,

and the host of heaven worships You.

Nehemiah 9:5-6



I am working on creating a video with all these Northern Lights images, and plan to have it ready to share in my next blog post. 


In the meantime, I have a couple of dear blogging friends who have YouTube channels, and I'd like to introduce you to them and their channels. Be sure to drop by, say hello, and support them too :) 




My creative friend Nancy from A Joyful Cottage shares some beautiful decorating, and inspirational thoughts on her YouTube channel.  You will be blessed to enjoy the wonderful videos she shares! 




My dear friend Cheryl Smith who blogs at Homespun Devotions shares this beautiful song that she wrote, and I know your heart will be blessed to hear it! 

Enjoy the last day of February, tomorrow is the first day of March, and spring hopefully will be here soon :) 







21 comments

  1. Wow! That is just incredible! In Michigan, these sightings are rare. I've only seen the Northern lights in person twice, and they were much less spectacular than what you saw., but I still loved seeing them.
    I enjoyed every photo you shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for suffering the cold to take these stunning photos. I only remember seeing this one time in my life. Perhaps that is because I am not going out in the cold at all hours. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for filming the beautiful aurora! I can imagine how cold you got...Brrr.
    Thank you also for both the little videos that were so interesting and, in the case of the one with Cheryl Smith, so uplifting. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are simply amazing. I've never seen anything like that. I can't imagine actually being there and seeing those beautiful colors in the sky. And to think, I get excited over a rainbow. You must have been freezing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow how exciting to see this in person, I have always wanted to see it, a few of our friends in Michigan saw it there. How wonderful the things that God has given us to enjoy, thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got such amazing photos of the Northern Lights. How wonderful to be able to see them and have such clear views. Just glorious. Your sunsets were nice, too. God created so many things for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these beautiful photos of the Glory of God in the heavens. That's always what I think of when I see photos of the aurora. Just a hint of the majesty of the Lord.
    Thank you for sharing Nancy and Cheryl's links. I've been blog friends with them both for years and now have been enjoying their videos too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've always wanted to see the northern lights, Marilyn, and I'm thankful you took us along with you. Your photos are wonderful, and it looks like a rainbow in the sky at sunset. The green skies overlooking your neighbor's yard are unusual, and pretty. I like the picture of the car driving by, that's very cool. In one of your pictures, the lights even makes the snow appear purple, so lovely. Thanks for sharing your photos of the northern lights, Marilyn. It must have been freezing for you that night. But it's the one thing I'd love to see someday as well. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Northern Lights defy description, Marilyn! Thanks for sharing these amazing photos with us; I hope that one day I will be able to see them for myself.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. living in the suburbs of the NY Capital Region we wouldn't be able to see the northern lights. But someone i know went north to Lake Luzerne and saw a pretty good display of them!! Your pics are so pretty! so glad you got to experience this. FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, WOW and WOW
    Fantastic photographs, what a truly wonderful sight.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos. They are spectacular.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I've wanted to see the Northern Lights for a long time, so I really appreciate your well taken pictures! Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Our God is so beautiful who only creates beautiful creations like that. It truly reveals His glory!
    Thank you so, so much for sharing these photos with us. (And for enduring the cold). ;)
    Yes! I love that song Cheryl sang! I look forward to watching Nancy's video!
    God bless and keep you, Marilyn!
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Marilyn, Thank you for sharing the Northern Lights with us all. Your photos are fantastic, thank you for standing in the cold to capture the beauty that God has given us.
    Happy March,
    Carla from The River

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Marilyn.. those northern lights are just fabulous! You did such a beautiful job of capturing them! Wow and double wow! I can't imagine living where I could see those in person. I loved the photos with just the green sky.. amazing! Bless you for standing out in that cold to take these photographs and share them with us! The lake photo with the lights on the lake, and the moon glow, is one of my favorites! Take care... stay warm! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear, sweet friend, you have touched my heart tonight. Thank you ever so much for sharing our channel and video with your readers. It meant so much to me. Oh, how I loved seeing the northern lights!! I feel SO bad for you standing out there in that awful cold, and I am so grateful to you for doing that and capturing it so beautifully for us. I will more than likely never see them in person, and it just blessed me so much to be able to view them through your lens. You are such a dear blessing and gift to this world in so many, many ways. I am eternally grateful to you for your precious friendship, support, encouragement, and prayers all these years. May the Lord richly bless you for all you do for Him and for so many others, including me. I love and appreciate you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing your camera skills with us, Marilyn. I loved seeing the Northern Lights from your perspective, and so amazing at how much color you were able to capture. I think the Aurora Borealis is one of the most astounding events of God's creation. Mysterious, perplexing, wonderful, marvelous. . .so many adjectives to use, and all fall so short of His glory. I guess that's what I see most in the Aurora. . .His GLORY! You really do have a great photographic eye. (Thank you, Jesus, for that!) Thank you for your constant friendship, and for sharing the link to my Youtube channel. That was so sweet and kind of you. God bless you. I'm so privileged to call you "Friend" and "Sister in Christ". Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Marilyn,
    What a lovely post this was—some healing images and words for my battered body.
    Almost like miracle indeed and never mind the cold—which by the way was the reason for the very clear view!
    You are such an excellent photographer and not only that, an excellent writer!
    Thank you so much.
    Sincerely,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos my friend! Any sign of spring up your way? I hope you and your family is doing well with the lost of your dog. hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are no words to express how gorgeous those photos of the Northern Lights were. So fabulous and you did such a lovely job capturing them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have always wanted to see these northern lights in person. Thank you for sharing the pictures. They're absolutely gorgeous. I've heard about those glass igloos! That is on my bucket list of things to do. :) How fun it would be. Thank you also for sharing your camera settings. It will help me in case I ever get to see them in real life. :)

    love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini