Seed Planning, Laundry and Kitty Snuggles!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Today's post is a bit of this, and a bit of that! Our temperatures have been a lot warmer this week, in fact - (insert a sad face here) - our snow is melting! Now you know how much I love to ski - and all these warm temperatures have caused the snow to make "snow fog" so the view outside our window is perpetually gray and foggy.  But that's okay, I have the perfect solution for that! 


Tulips make everything better - even the loss of the snow that I love so much, and the endurance of many gray days with snow fog!

A little closer view of the tulip! Isn't she lovely!


Another delicious meat and vegetable meal.  I roast a medley of vegetables in the oven at 400. Sometimes I add a little sausage for flavor, many of the veggies are from my garden. 




Our hens really like the warmer weather! I was getting just a few eggs a day (even with extra light provided), but now with the warmer weather, they are producing almost a dozen a day!





Sometimes - it's hard to get moving in the morning to feed the chickens, and go for our morning walk - especially when I have this Little Girl all cozy in my lap! 


I think you'll enjoy this short 60-second 
video of our kitty snuggles!


The power company is doing some tree trimming in our area. I stopped to talk to them, and they agreed to bring the chipped-up trees to our yard! That makes me very excited! I will be busy spreading all this goodness on my garden paths, and around my berry bushes come spring. 


I've been making my own laundry soap, and loving it.  I wanted to share the recipe with you.  This recipe outlasts other laundry detergents by far - and our clothes get just as clean! 


Get a large bucket or tub.  I used a tub purchased at the dollar store, but any large bucket will do. 




You'll need 1 box of Borax


You'll need 1 quart of Epsom salt


You'll need 1 quart (4 cups) of baking soda.
I buy mine in bulk at Costco. 


You'll need a box of washing soda. 


You'll need a tub of laundry booster, I found this natural "knockoff" OxyClean. 



Your favorite essential oil. 


Mix all ingredients in the big tub.  Makes it easier to have it in a large container so you can easily mix it. 


Two  1-gallon jars would hold this recipe, but whatever containers you have on hand will 
work. 

Here is the recipe:
1 box Borax 
4 cups baking soda
1 box washing soda
1 quart (4 cups) Epsom salt
4 cups Oxy-Clean (or similar)
Essential oil of choice

Mix all powders together. Stir until no chunks remain. Mix in 12-15 drops of essential oil of choice. Store detergent in two 1-gallon jars, or other containers of choice.  

To use: 1-2 tablespoons per load, more or less depending on how big your load is. 

You will save a lot of money using this recipe!  I only have to make this detergent about twice a year, for my husband and me.  The total cost for all the ingredients is under $20. 

Also, instead of using fabric softener, I just add 2 Tbsp vinegar to each wash - and my clothes are soft and smell amazing!  Using more natural soaps to clean our clothes has been wonderful, and a huge savings for us! 


It is a season for planning! There is still snow on the ground, but I am busy planning my garden for next year. I keep a  lined notebook of all the seed packets I have planted. I try to remember to mark each seed packet when I start it (either inside, or in the ground).  Then, at the end of each season, I staple in each seed packet, and I go back and write under the seed packet how it worked that year.  It is helpful to go back and see which varieties work well in my garden. 



This is my work table in my covered porch area.  I separate out all my seeds according to when they will be planted. I will start some in February, March/April, and then in May/June when they go into the ground.  I save my seeds from year to year and store them in empty bottles.  I keep a list of all my seeds, and what seeds are necessary for me to order this year, if I don't have any on hand. 



I make a chart of all the seeds that I have on hand, either my own that I have gathered, or from another source, and then decide if I need to order more. Planting tomatoes, and peppers usually begins in late February!


Most of you know that my husband and I have cut sugar out of our diet.  However, we do enjoy a sweet treat now and then made with alternative sugars.  We can use stevia and monk fruit occasionally in a little dessert, and it helps with the sweet tooth desires! 


I follow a dear lady on FB, her name is Brenda Bennett of www.sugarfreemom.com, and she began developing recipes many years ago before all the "keto" recipes became popular. You can click to see her recipe here, but I will also post it below.   I like to make this sugar-free chocolate mug cake as a treat for us occasionally. I have modified the recipe a bit to suit our tastes. No flour! 


1 Minute Sugar-Free Chocolate Mug Cake

1 egg, beaten well
1 Tbsp cacao powder (cocoa powder also works)
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1 Tbsp alternative sugar (monk fruit, stevia, Swerve)
2 Tbsp almond milk
1/4 tsp baking powder
Dash salt

Mix all together.  Pour into a greased mug or ramekin. Cook in the microwave for 1 minute or longer depending on your microwave.  The cake will pull away from the edges when done. 



Top with Keto ice cream, if you'd like.  We like the brand called "Keto". The flavor I used on mine is Butter Pecan, and it is delicious, with only 3 grams of carbs. 

You  may remember last week I shared about the snow sliding off my roof.  I submitted that video to the Weather Channel, and never heard any more from them. A friend reached out to me, asking me if that was me on Weather Channel. Sure enough, they posted my video! 

You can watch the video here  It was pretty amazing that I was able to catch the snow falling right in front of my window, because it comes so fast that you don't have time to grab a camera and turn on the video.  Because it was so much snow up on the roof, there was a lot of snow falling, so I had time to catch it.  It sounds like a train rumbling off the roof when it falls.  We have learned what that sound is here, but the cats and Riley still get very nervous when the snow starts to slide.  :) 




This is my latest video - the photos I used are from a family trip that we took to Banff, BC, Canada in 2016.  Some spectacular scenes that I don't think I've used before in my videos. "You'll Make It Through" is an encouraging song that no matter the difficulty, the Lord is with you, and you'll make it through!   


Psalm 59:16-17 (KJV)

But I will sing of thy power; 
yea, I will sing aloud 
of thy mercy in the morning: 
for thou hast been my defence 
and refuge in the day of my trouble.

Unto thee, O my strength, 
will I sing: 
for God is my defence, 
and the God of my mercy.


Stay warm and safe, and be comforted in the Lord! No matter the "goings-on" around the world, and even in our own neighborhoods, remember that Jesus has the answer for it all.  Our hope in Him sustains us! Sing unto the Lord when troubles worry you, He will take care of you :) 

47 comments

  1. Dearest Marilyn,
    You are a very clever lady for asking to dump those wood chips in your yard!
    Your kitty girl is a lucky baby and she sure enjoys her lap time.
    The laundry detergent is a great idea and I've added it to my Pinterest board about laundry care.
    Banff is a paradise, we went there on board of the Rocky Mountaineer and stayed at the Fairmont in Banff and also at Lake Louise, that was in the fall of 2018. Fond memories!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to get the wood chips, it will be a wonderful addition to my garden! I love the laundry detergent, it has really done a great job with our clothes. Banff, Canada is such a beautiful place to visit, we hope to visit again very soon!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad they are bringing you the wood chips!
    Our neighbors have chickens and sometimes we are the recipient of eggs when the chickens start laying a lot. Right now they are in a winter lull.
    That is a great price for all that laundry soap. Does it dissolve well? I use liquid because of having that issue, but I should try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got all kinds of great plans for the wood chips in my garden this year! What a blessing for the neighbors to give you extra eggs! It does dissolve well, I usually wash in warm water, because we are on a well, and our water is VERY cold. So maybe that helps. I have not had a problem with this soap dissolving at all. I hope you try it, and let me know how it works for you :)

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed your blog today, Marilyn! I talked to Danny about making our own laundry detergent, and he was all in on trying it!
    Speaking of Danny, would you and Dan keep him in prayer? We are still in St. Simon's Island in Georgia, planning to attend my SIL's mother's memorial service, when Danny's pacemaker went haywire. I had to call 911 and he is now at the regional hospital. He is stable, but is still awaiting more tests. His sons are here, too, and have been such a great help to him and to him. We were fortunate to be able to extend our reservation at our Airbnb so I have a place to stay. Please pray for his healing and for a safe release from the hospital once all the pieces are in place. I do feel God's strength within me to navigate all of this, and Danny is also at peace. Thank you for being such a dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very cheap investment, for an incredible savings. I am keeping Danny in my prayers. Going over to your blog to see if you've updated on how he is doing. Please let me know, and know that we are praying for you both!

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy reading about your activities, Marilyn. It is surprising you are losing the snow but it is time for more winter yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a surprising winter for sure, Marie. I hate to see all our snow melting now, but just one storm could change all that, lol! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. First off Marilyn, I see where Little Girl and "big" Precious could be sisters! And the leg time looks the same, no curling up, just stretching out. I gave up dairy, sugar and wheat years ago and I will see what recipes your friend has to make. I use stevia now and a bit of Agave some. I can see where you must do all the lists and seed planning to do such a tremendous garden. My girl friends D-in-Law does an acre garden and rotates veggies to can enough to last 2 years. Lots of work you both do. Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leg time is the same, she loves to stretch out! That is awesome that you gave up those things years ago, your body surely must thank you! Yes, I must plan for the garden, starting in February, things will get exciting! Blessings to you both!

      Delete
  6. That's neat that your little video of the snow falling off your roof was on the weather channel. We had the tree workers come in my area also, and they had to cut down a big tree in the front yard. They just put the logs on the side of the house, and a neighbor wanted them. That chocolate mug cake sure looks Yummy. Sorry to hear that you have to stop eating potatoes. They are always a staple food in this house. Your work table is so organized with the planning of this year's garden. What a sweet kitty video you shared. She is such a cozy companion for you, Marilyn.

    I wish you beautiful February days. I can't believe January is almost over.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, potatoes are a terrible offender for diabetics. We've learned to really love cauliflower, and have really been okay without potatoes. It is hard at first, let me tell you! Thank you for your precious comments Sheri, they always bless me! Many blessings to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  7. I am so thankful that you stopped by my blog, because I had an awesome visit here on your blog. I have enjoyed ALL of it! The scenery....the gorgeous video...the touching music.... learning how you prepare to garden...the video of the snow falling off your roof.. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you came to pay a visit Shug, I hope to get to know each other better! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here, I just share bits of "spice" about my life up here in North Idaho. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. Your kitty is beautiful, and what a sweet video. The tulip is gorgeous, it is blooming now in the cold?? I am impressed that you make your own laundry detergent! The eggs from your chickens are beautiful. They look like what are called designer eggs. Or the eggs that come from Martha Stewart's chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fun egg colors we get from our hens too! It always makes the browns pop when there is a blue or green in the mix! We will probably have an early spring here. I bought the tulips at the grocery store, much too early here for tulips, we usually have them blooming in May. Thank you for you visit Ginny!

      Delete
  9. Your tulips are gorgeous! Flowers brighten any day. The eggs in their cartons are so pretty. Who would think that eggs could be so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I love the various colors of eggs our hens give us! The tulips are from the grocery store, will be a while yet before we get some growing here, but they do give hope of spring!

      Delete
  10. The tulips are so pretty and sure brighten these dreary days. How wonderful you are making your own laundry soap. The cake looks wonderful, kudos for cutting out sugar. Your Kitty looks so relaxed all stretched out. Gorgeous video Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tulips this time of year, their vibrant colors bring such joy! Thanks Linda for your visit, always so appreciated!

      Delete
  11. Precious friend Marilyn seemed to meet another version of you through this post ,a wise and smart lady who is not just write beautifully but take care of all aspects of the life as actively :)
    Congrats for convincing workmen for dropping woods in your yard .
    I also found washing recipe great.wow that you make it twice a year only. Such a saving makes worth the try.
    Enjoyed the kitty snuggle thoroughly.
    Best of luck for plantation plans!
    The snow video is awesome.
    Loved the window decorations ❤
    Biggest thanks for last video this is healing for heart that seek God!
    Blessings to you and loved ones my friend ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, my dear friend! Your words mean so very much to me! The laundry has been a great savings for us! Love my kitty snuggles, they are the best! Thank you for your visit, and for enjoying my video, I appreciate your visit and comments so very much! May the blessings of the Lord be with you!

      Delete
  12. Hi again Marilyn - just wanted to let you know that the book review will be on my blog later tonight.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Mari, thank you so much for doing this review!

      Delete
  13. That's so neat that your video was posted on the Weather Channel!
    Our weather has been warm too- in the 70s! I get kind of sad when there's cloudy days in a row, so I have enjoyed the sunshine. February is when it usually gets very cold.
    I hope you have a great gardening season, Marilyn!
    Thank you for the encouragement!
    God bless,
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the video qualified to be shown on the Weather channel! Yes, February is usually cold here too, but this year it has been warmer than usual. I am looking forward to our gardening season this year, for sure! Thank you for your faithful visits and comments!

      Delete
  14. Great post! Love the video of the snow falling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great catch, for sure - because usually I don't have time to catch the snow when it falls on video. :)

      Delete
  15. Sorry your snow has started to melt, maybe it will turn cold again and snow some more. We have had that fog here too but now it has warmed up and we are seeing the sun once again too!!! That is neat your video made it on the weather channel. We are starting a lower carb diet also for my husbands health. Thanks for the link to get more ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have gotten some more snow, but it is all continuing to melt. It's just been a warmer winter than usual. I'm glad you enjoyed the video, it was quite amazing to catch it like that, and nice to have the Weather channel share it! It is definitely a journey on the lower carbs, all for the betterment of our health!

      Delete
  16. Singing to the Lord in worship is sooo good. Our snow is disappearing, too. Great ideas here for laundry detergent and eliminating softeners. That steak dinner looks delicious. We'll be cooking up steaks for a family meal on Friday and I'm deciding what veggie combination to roast. Happy Wednesday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to roast veggies, I think they taste so much better than the traditional boiling or steaming methods. Our snow is quickly disappearing. Looks like we are going to have an early spring! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  17. Hello! I love my mornings snuggled with a throw blanket, pups on my lap. And it does make it hard to get going! Have a cozy evening, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our snuggles with our fur babies, so precious! They bring such joy to our lives! Many blessings to you :)

      Delete
  18. Such an enjoyable post, sweet friend! I loved it all. So thankful for you and your precious encouragement. I apologize that I didn't get to reply to your email about the Bible studies you have uploaded. I hope to be able to do that soon. I am going to try that mug cake. It sounds so good. I don't think there should be many carbs in it, if any. It is so wonderful to be able to have alternatives like this when we are craving sweets. God bless you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mug cake is so delicious, and always a treat to enjoy this sweet treat without any guilt! There is no flour in it, and only 3 carbs, which is a great treat to enjoy! It is wonderful that we do have other sugar alternatives now beyond white sugar! Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  19. Such a restful post, Marilyn! Our cat was so spoiled we'd sit until our legs were numb waiting for him to get up! 😁 Must try your laundry mixture sometime. I like homemade everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! They think we should just sit around with them all day, lol! I think you'd like the cheaper and better for you laundry detergent. We are trying to rid our home of the many chemicals hidden in so many areas. But I can truly say, our clothes are just as clean, and I love the cheaper price!

      Delete
  20. Hello, That is fantastic to get the wood chips. Are they free?
    I am on the hunt for some free wood chips too. I think I have found some.
    I have spring fever... already... we have not had any snow. Yesterday, the last day of January it was 52 degrees!! Today it is 48!!!
    Thank you for the homemade laundry mix!!! :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they brought the wood chips for free, I was so happy! I will have them for several years, I'm sure. A real blessing! Yes, spring fever is on the rise here too... it has been a mild winter. Spring gardening will commence early this year!

      Delete
  21. Thank you for the washing soap recipe. I made it for several years but the clothes never seemed to get clean. The recipe I was given had Fels Naptha soap in it and NO epsom salts or oxy-clean. I think I'll try this new one because it really does save on the budget.
    Loved the kitty video. I miss having our kitty on my lap while I knit or read. You can see the contentment here. Love it.
    Brilliant idea, asking for the wood chips. They can get expensive, especially if you have to have them delivered a distance.
    Take care my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the power in this soap mixture is the oxyclean, with it in every load, I feel that the clothes are so much cleaner, and I love the cheap price too! Our kitty's are such a blessing, the snuggles are the best! I'm thankful I was able to get the wood chips, I am making good use of them! Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  22. Hello, Marilyn. First, before I forget, thanks for coming to visit me at Marmelade Gypsy! I'm glad I landed here first on a this-and-that post, which is always a treat. You get to "know" people that way! Your snow is extensive -- we had very little this year in Michigan (at least so far -- in Michigan you never say never.) And how exciting to be looking forward to your garden! Thanks for the KETO ice cream recommendation -- I'll check that one out. And that cat -- looks so cozy! Have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you visit Jeanie! I'm always excited to find new blogging friends! I do a lot of "this and that" kind of posts, just sharing bits and pieces of my life. I am grateful for the Keto ice cream option, we don't eat much of it, it is just enough to satisfy a sweet tooth craving! Many blessings to you, and I look forward to getting to know you better!

      Delete
  23. hi Marilyn! i do love a good this-and-that post and you have made me smile here early this dreary gray February morning. the eggs especially make me smile - my daughter has chickens and one of my favorite things when we get to visit her is to gather the eggs throughout the day ... and then to bring home a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a this and that kind of post too, Linda! It is wonderful to be able to enjoy a mixture of colorful eggs, and there is nothing like enjoying eggs from our own chickens! Many blessings to you dear friend, thank you for your faithful visits!

      Delete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini