A Bun in the Oven!

Monday, April 8, 2024

I'm excited to finally share a surprise with you! In October, our daughter and son-in-law will welcome a new baby! It was during their birthday party in March that they shared the news but we were asked to keep it quiet until Danielle entered her second trimester.  That was hard to do! 



It was a truly special moment when they made the baby announcement to their immediate family, as we were all gathered together.  Danielle approached me and asked if I could bless the food with a prayer.  After praying, she said, "Mom, I have something for you." I was a bit confused at first, as she handed me the oven.  She told me to open it... Zak had created a cardboard oven featuring a door that opened and an electrical plug! The moment I opened it, I couldn't contain my excitement - I screamed (yes, I really did!). I was crying, and laughing and hugging all at once - it was so special! Everyone rejoiced, and then we prayed for the little one. Happy happy news for us all! It is the first grandbaby for Zak's family as well, so this little one will be very much celebrated! 


OUR "BUN IN THE OVEN"








APRIL FOOLS DAY ANNOUNCEMENT

So that has been the excitement here for days! The hardest part was keeping it quiet!  Finally, the day came when we could make the announcement.  I sent out a text message to family and friends on April Fool's Day.  I attached a picture of the ultrasound, and a short text that said "We're so excited."  I included Zak and Danielle in the text. Several people thought I might be announcing that "I" was pregnant, and that's when Danielle hopped into the chat, and let everyone know the happy news. It was a very fun announcement all the way around! 

We can't wait to welcome the little one into the world sometime around the first of October.  This will be my first grandchild, and I have waited for this moment for years! So lots of fun planning, shopping, and preparing will happen over the next few months.  Danielle and Zak are very low-key and traditional. They are not going to find out what the baby is.  They don't have plans for a special style or theme for the nursery.  They are very content with simple things.  So, I have to keep that in mind, and I hope to pull out my sewing machine and make a few things for the nursery and baby. I'm sure I'll have more to share about all that in the days to come :) 



It seems that I have a lot of news to share today! Along with the exciting announcement of a new grandbaby, I also want to tell you that I recently completed a project that I had been working on for many months. I created my own cookbook and published it on Amazon, where it's much more accessible for family and friends to purchase.  

I clicked the "publish" button on Friday, and the cookbook went live! It is a scary feeling to let your "baby" go! It was a project I'd worked on for a long time, and it is a wonderful feeling to know that my children, and now grandchildren, will enjoy and have in their own hands a cookbook with family recipes. 



Here is my cookbook, MountainTopSpice Family Cookbook, and you can find it on Amazon at this link: MountainTopSpice Family Cookbook

Here is more information about the book: 

This cookbook was born out of a love of serving good food to my family and wanting to preserve the recipes and pass them on to my children and grandchildren. I have tested these recipes in my kitchen, focusing on simple, organic, home-grown food. I want to inspire those who read this cookbook to embrace the joy of sharing delicious meals with your family. There is nothing more special than gathering around a table of good food with family and sharing life together. I hope this compilation of family recipes will be a blessing for you and your family!

There are 8 sections: Appetizers and Beverages, Bread and Muffins, Soups, Stews and Sauces, Meats and Main Dishes, Vegetables and Salads, Desserts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies, Miscellaneous and Low Carb. Each section includes the recipe - some with pictures, serving information, and the time to make each recipe.

You can find a simple collection of good, home-cooked food using basic ingredients that are commonly found in most kitchens. The focus is on providing healthy, nutritious, and comforting meals that can be enjoyed with the family.



I share a lot of my keto recipes in the cookbook, many of which I've shared here on my blog recently.  My husband and I have been on a low-carb journey, where we are cutting sugar and potatoes out of our diet because my husband is pre-diabetic.  We both feel so much better and have more energy. It has definitely been a lifestyle change for us.  

The cookbook shares very basic recipes, like making a roast, and hamburgers.  It is surprising how many people lack the knowledge of cooking basic meals.  I just shared the simple recipes from my kitchen that feed our family, and friends, and have been proven crowd-pleasers.  

I'm so thankful to have the cookbook completed! I know many of you wanted a copy of the cookbook I published a couple of years ago, but I only had limited copies.  This is a much easier way to get the cookbook either on Kindle or in paperback form.  

I hope you'll stop by and look at my cookbook, and if you do decide to buy, a review would be appreciated very much! 

TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE

Today I am planning to watch the solar eclipse with a friend.  There has been a lot of talk about this eclipse, with much excitement, drama, and anticipation about it.  We are supposed to have some cloud cover this afternoon, so we are not sure how much of it we will get to see, but it will be fun to experience it from the top of a mountain! My friend and I are going to drive up and experience the eclipse on a mountain close by.  What are your plans today - are you in the path of the eclipse? Will you be watching it? It is certainly a very anticipated event! 

I pray each of you have a wonderful experience with the eclipse - we have seen one before here in 2017, and it was very special.  

While there are many "doomsday" things being said about this eclipse, I look at it like this.  There is nothing to worry about when your trust is in Jesus. Whatever He has planned, it will happen, and there is nothing we can do to stop or change it.  What we can do is keep our eyes on Him, not focus on any fear, or worry but rejoice that He has a plan for this world. 




 
This is a Scripture video I recently created, each song taken from the scripture, most from Psalms.  Singing His Word is a powerful antidote for worrisome times. God's rich blessings to all of you!    










23 comments

  1. Oh Marilyn, that is wonderful news about the baby. You are going to love being a grandma. There's nothing like it. After Charlotte was born, I literally held her for almost two weeks in my arms, holding and changing and loving her. I was so pleased that Jess was nursing, and still is. It will be fun for you to shop for things that the baby needs. I love the fact that Danielle is low-key and traditional, and appreciates simple things. That is the way to be, and even this grandma and my daughters do not like to spoil a child. And your homemade gifts for the baby will be more treasured than any he or she receives.

    Good news about your cookbook too. I hope it does well. And I loved what you said about the eclipse and Jesus. Such beautiful words, indeed.

    Have a sweet day, and I'm so happy for you, Marilyn, and all the family.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet announcement for you and your family. I love the creative way they made the announcement to you! Grandchildren are such a wonderful sweet blessing from the Lord. We are so grateful to God for our two! And then how exciting to publish your own cookbook. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Marilyn,
    Congrats with the first Grandbaby in the family!
    Also congrats with your brainchild—the cookbook.
    Knowing all too well what publishing a book means, I chose self publishing for print on demand for worldwide availability. We both felt proud when it got mentioned as university textbook in the UK.
    LOTS of work and lots of color photographs.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! SO exciting! We have a grandbaby coming in August and just found out it's a boy. We have 3 granddaughters so this will be a change. I'm so happy for you! The bun in the oven is so cute. :)
    We were in the 95% area for the eclipse and watched it outside at work. Truly amazing!
    Very cool about the cook book. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you and for your family 💗
    Also good news about your cook book.
    Unfortunately we were not in the right part of Canada to see the eclipse ( besides which it rained all day). Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn, I'm over the moon happy for all of you with this wonderful news! That first grandchild will always have a special place in your hearts for all time. Virginia was that for Danny and me, although you will always have love for each one that God chooses to us with. Tell Danielle and Zak congratulations from me as they embark on this new adventure together, and to treasure every moment of this precious experience. If you visit my recent post, you can see my three amazing grands who came to visit us over spring break.
    And I'll be sure to check out your cookbook, too!
    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new BUN on the way! How exciting for you! I have no grandkids.. always wished I had one, but it's not to be. I'm glad you will be able to experience it! And congrats on your new cookbook too. I wish I could learn how to get my husband's book on Amazon, or make it into an ebook! It's just beyond my knowledge now and I don't want to learn it all. I'm so done with complicated stuff! It's enough (or was) to keep my Etsy store going! It's closed for now, but may open it up again. That little oven is so cute. What a neat way to surprise you! I'm so glad to hear your kids are old fashioned or old school.. doing things the simple way. I have thought that all the "to do" that goes on now with either a wedding or birth, is way over the top.. all the save the dates, and pre parties and a party for this, a party for that, a gender party, a pre gender party, etc. is all too much!
    I wish you all the greatest blessings these next few months.. enjoy it all!
    Hugs...
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bun in the oven! That was an creative way to tell you the news and one I've never seen done before. I can almost hear your scream when you figured it out. This will be such a loved baby, especially being the first grandchild on both sides. Praying for health and safety for Danielle and the baby over the coming months.
    Great news on the cook books too. So much for you to looks forward to in the next months.
    I was blessed to be able to see the eclipse in 2017 from Loon Lake and now the one here in Omaha today. Neither were in totality, but about the same. Still exciting.
    I'm so happy for your family Marilyn.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful news! Many congratulations to your family, Marilyn!!!!!
    And congratulations on your cookbook! So many blessings for sure! :)
    We were in the eclipse's totality. We weren't able to get solar glasses, but when it was at its darkest, my dad said we could peek for a tiny bit. What an awesome sight! And what an awesome God we have!
    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the grandbaby. The joy in your life increases many times over when the grands come into your life. Congratulations on the cookbook too. You have much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to your family, Marilyn. Being a grandmother is one of God’s richest blessings! Also congratulations on your cookbook! Happy week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Marilyn, how exciting for your family. I will be praying for a healthy pregnancy, for mom and baby and daddy too.
    Congratulations on the cookbook too!!!

    P.S. I love the creativity of the Bun in the Oven!!!
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun, creative way to announce the coming arrival of your first grandchild! I don't understand the concept of "gender reveal parties" and my own daughters said them and their friends don't like that idea either!! (my daughters are 30 and 25 so have a ways to go before marriage and motherhood...they are busy getting their careers established and haven't even met any Christian guys worth dating!) .

    Yes our capital region area of NYS had 98% totality but i went north to Schroon Lake and had 100%. I'll be sharing the experience on my blog at some point.

    I hope you have much success with the cookbook sales!! I'll look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, how exciting congratulations! I will definitely have to check out your cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such sweet and wonderful and exciting news all around!! Praise God!!! I am SO happy for you, dear friend. I pray God's blessings will continue to fall upon you and your family in such blessed, unexpected ways. May He be with Danielle during her pregnancy and labor and delivery. I so look forward to seeing that precious grandbaby in your arms! Sending much love and a big CONGRATULATIONS to all of you today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your wonderful blessing of a first grandchild! Such a sweet way that it was announced, too. You are going to love being a grandmother. There is nothing like the special love of a grandchild. Also, congratulations on your cookbook, too! What a nice way to preserve your family recipes and share them with others. Cooking for our loved ones is a special gift and something that they always remember. Sweet memories of wonderful meals shared with loved ones mean so much. The eclipse was an amazing event, even though I didn't get to see it, I watched it on television. So many people sharing the wonder together. Hope that you have a wonderful week. Sending hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to your daughter and family! That is exciting news and so sweet that this is your first grandchild. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome news!!! So very happy for all of you. SMILES

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh I am so excited and happy for you! I waited a long time for our little Maxwell, too! It seemed like I was never going to be a "Nonnie"! Our daughter and son in law pretended they were taking a picture of us and his parents together when they announced they were pregnant! So we have my reaction on film where I squeeled "really!!!!" I still feel just as excited whenever I watch it, and it was 8 years ago! Grandchildren are such a wonderful blessing and you will love being a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huge congrats and what a lovely way to announce the new baby. Also, well done on your book. WOW, great news
    I visited you via Life and Linda. My entries are #118+119. Feel free to join SSPS Linkup M-S: https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful news about the baby, congratulations and good wishes to you all.
    Well done too on your cook book.

    Wishing you lots of happy days ahead.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a blessing Marilyn. Love the bun in the oven, so darn clever. Congratulations on becoming a grandmother in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marylin!! This is so exciting!! I don't know how I missed this post, but I just saw your feature at Linda's party and had to come over to say Congratulations!! 🥳

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini