Great Is His Faithfulness

Monday, January 24, 2022

As the days of January's winter drag on, the landscape remains encapsulated in a fog that grasps the world in its wispy embrace. Our area has a weather system that has been with us since January 10th, when the fog arrived.  This is not uncommon for our area, as we live between mountain ranges, and oftentimes weather systems get "trapped" between the ranges, and stay for days.  Soon, they tell us another weather system will move in, but for now, the clouds are low-hanging, and fog dominates the landscape. 




I do love the fog, it has its own beauty that can't be denied.  And then when the sun breaks through towards the ending of the day, and the sky is filled with glorious color, it does make one's heart rejoice! 

This has been our color scheme for most of the month of January. Beautiful in its own way! 


I've made a lot of soups and stews this month, and last Friday evening, I decided it was time to change up our menu. So I made homemade flour tortillas with grilled chicken fajita meat and bell peppers. 


I used a fajita seasoning on the chicken breasts,
marinated them in lemon juice overnight,
and then grilled them. 

Served with homemade flour tortillas, it was a meal to remember! It was so good, 
I forgot to take a picture of the fajita taco ~ smiles ~

Flour tortillas are so easy to make! Have you ever made them? I use a simple recipe.  Here it is, because if you haven't made them before, you need to try.  They are better than any store-bought tortilla! They store well in the refrigerator too. 


Homemade Flour Tortillas


4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons lard
1 ½ cups water

 

Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Flatten the balls, and let rest for 15 minutes to 2 hours, covered with a tea towel.

 

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.





Annie got hurt while walking last week.  A neighbor's dog came out of the driveway and approached us. It was very icy. Annie underestimated the ice, and when she went to approach the dog herself, she slid on the ice and hurt her hip.  Thankfully the dog went back home without issue.  I massaged the hip and leg when we got home and we had her rest for several days. She has since recovered fully.  



And even though the fog is hanging around for days and days...
if I can get to see the sunset, my day is complete. 

We all know that the month of January can be a challenging month as winter sets in, the days are shorter and there is not as much light to be seen. 


I have been going through some old pictures and decided to put these pictures into music videos.  It is better than having all the pictures I've taken through the years sit in folders on my computer.  


So here below are more music videos that I just finished this past weekend.  Please listen and enjoy the music, and I hope that you will feel encouraged and if you feel so inclined, leave me a comment. We bloggers know how much comments are always appreciated :)  




Lamentations 3:23-26

This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
Through the Lord’s mercies, 
we are not consumed,

Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
The Lord is my portion says my soul,
Therefore I hope in Him.

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly
For the salvation of the Lord.

 


37 comments

  1. Gorgeous sun photos.

    The verse at the end is comforting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi, I appreciate your kind comment!!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your videos. What a great way to use your photos!

    We’ve had more fog here in Summerside this past month than I’ve seen in the eleven years we’ve been here. It has been an unusual winter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Marie! It has been quite a winter here too!

      Delete
  3. Your homemade flour tortillas look so good, Marilyn. It reminded me of my Mom who used to make them often. She also made beans and rice on the side. The verse was so special you shared at the end, and a gentle reminder. And your photos always make my heart sing. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homemade flour tortillas are so good, you won't want to buy store bought again! Thank you for your kind comment and visit Sheri, always so much appreciated!

      Delete
  4. When things are gray and bleak, I have a difficult time of keeping my sunny side up. You are doing very well! May the afternoon sun keep shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vee! It is true, the winter doldrums are a thing. It helps to seek out the sun when it shows up! Many blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  5. Pam in Tennessee1/25/22, 8:40 AM

    Beautiful pictures. Thank you for the uplifting videos. The verse at the end is such a good reminder to us that God is always faithful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, I appreciate your kind comment! That is one of my favorite verses too. How thankful I am for His faithfulness!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful images of your corner of the world. I love the song Great Is Your Faithfulness. I'm so thankful for God's faithfulness throughout my life.
    Fajitas are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, I am so grateful for His faithfulness in all things. Fajitas are so good, indeed, and homemade tortillas really make them special :) Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the photos of my favorite area in the country. Dennis spent last week in Spokane and talked about how foggy and rainy it was while he was there. After seeing your photos, I can feel a bit like I was there too.
    Thank you for the tortilla recipe. We also had chicken fajita's but on Saturday instead of Friday. Enjoy the beautiful winter in the northwest and thank you for the beautiful videos.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so good to hear from you Betsy, and enjoy your comment! It has been very foggy here for sure. Chicken fajitas are always so good and homemade tortillas really add a special touch. Thank you for your special visit Betsy!

      Delete
  8. I love the videos! What a unique way to store your photos. I also love the way that the fog comes in and lingers and the sun comes through it. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for watching the videos Carol! I am working on making more, as I have so many beautiful pictures in my collections :) Thank you for your kind comment Carol!

      Delete
  9. We are living in the same fog as you are. What a beautiful sunset you captured. Now I'm kicking myself for never trying to make my own tortillas. I grew up in Southern California with so many Mexican American friends. We love Mexican food. Beautiful music and Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen for your kind comment! Mexican food is our favorite go-to also! And once you make homemade tortillas, you might never go back to the store bought :)

      Delete
  10. You always find so much beauty to share, whether in pictures or videos. I love the winter scenes, but I am also ready for longer days and warmer temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, you and I both are always looking for the beautiful wherever we can find it! I love winter, but am now ready for spring!!!

      Delete
  11. Danny has made homemade tortillas and they are wonderful! Love your photos set to music, too. Such a personal touch, Marilyn.
    Glad Annie is doing well!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade tortillas are so good! Thank you for enjoying my videos Martha, I am enjoying pulling photos from my collection and putting them to music. And we are thankful too, that Annie is feeling better!

      Delete
  12. I love how you are putting your photos to music. I've watched them on YouTube and they are such a nice sweet song and words in the middle of my day. They really lift me up! I've made homemade flour tortillas once years ago when I could still eat gluten. I loved them. I need to try some gluten free ones as I can't eat the store bought ones, but I love the soft flour texture and not so much the crispy ones they offer as gluten free! My mouth is watering for those chicken fajitas! I woke up to fog and a hoar frost this morning all over everything. Haven't had it for several years here and it's so pretty. The day has stayed gray and dark all day long.. the sun usually never breaks through when it's like this here, and also never got above 29. I do notice the days staying light a little longer, which is really nice. Have a nice week! xoxoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn for your wonderful comment, always so enjoyed! We do enjoy corn tortillas, although I have not made them myself. I should try! Chicken fajitas are so good! It has been a gray January. December was full of sunshine, for which I was so grateful for. Soon though, spring will come! And the days are definitely getting longer, which helps a lot! Many blessings to you Marilyn!

      Delete
  13. Your sunset photos are gorgeous no matter the season!
    The tortillas look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari for your kind comments! I hope you try homemade tortillas, they are so so good :)

      Delete
  14. I have never tried making tortillas, but they sure look simple enough.
    That fog is so beautiful, and so is the sunset. You have an excellent view from your spot in the mountains. Thank you for sharing. Your posts always light up my day. 😊

    ❤️Ashley
    Ps. Thank you for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley for your kind comment! I hope that you try the tortillas, they really make a Mexican meal special :) Blessings to you dear friend!

      Delete
  15. Oh, dear friend! I have SO been enjoying your beautiful videos! It is introducing me to songs I haven't heard and the combination of watching your amazing photos along with the inspired lyrics just moves me so deeply. As you know, I have really been going through a fiery trial, and I feel very depleted and in need of encouragement. Your videos are providing that, and I am so grateful to God for you. Sending much love and gratitude your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend! Your words are always so encouraging and uplifting to me, and I appreciate them so very much! I'm very grateful that you are enjoying the videos, and I'm thrilled that I was able to put out a video with your beautiful angelic voice singing in the Mountain Hope band! I pray that the Lord continues to bless your band in mighty ways, and also for the Lord's healing touch over your body! May the blessings of the Lord be with you!

      Delete
  16. To everything there is a season! Beautiful in every way! I usually make corn tortillas!
    Glad the doggie is doing feeling better!
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea to create music videos. Your pictures are amazing.
    We've also had a lot of fog but no sunsets anywhere near as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glorious photos Marilyn. Winter snow is always so beautiful, especial viewed from inside my cozy house....The tortillas look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures are stunning, as usual! I love the videos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now, I'm going to try and make those homemade tortillias.
    Give Annie a back scratch for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely post.
    Wishing you joy for the new month of February.
    Stay safe, well and warm.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini