April Showers and Flowers

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Happy first week of April! 

This year is moving right along, before you know it, half the year will have passed. We are enjoying beautiful spring days here... sprinkled with lots of rain, and mixes of sunshine, and snow/slush/hail, and then beautiful clouds in the skies.  This is spring in North Idaho! 


Crocus springing up in my garden! 



Spring showers... bring glorious clouds too! 



The clouds in the sky never cease to amaze me.  


We walk in the evenings now since we have more daylight, and it is a joy watching the evening sunsets painted on the sky's horizon for us to view. 


Our local herd of elk grazing in a neighbor's yard... always a delightful scene! 



No wee ones yet... so I know most of these lovely ladies will have calves very soon. 


Elk usually run as soon as they suspect anyone is close.  However, today they posed for me! They were enjoying their evening snack too much to run. 



More lovely evening skies.... with just a faint burst of sunshine in the darkness. 



The Northern Lights were forecast for our area... and I spent several hours outside waiting... and watching... with no luck this time. 


This lovely bluebird was acting rather shy, and wouldn't look at the camera...
but oh, that blue! So beautiful to see! 


I made these delicious Egg Tortilla Cups for my bible study ladies this week. 
They were oh so good, and quite easy to make! 


I used corn tortillas, and they were just about the right size to fit into the muffin tin. Topped with a dollop of sour cream and salsa... a perfect morning treat! 

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it! 

Egg Tortilla Cups
8 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
1/2 cup chopped veggies (bell pepper, scallions, spinach, etc.)
12 Mini tortillas or street taco corn tortillas 
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350.  Grease a muffin tin for 12.  Heat tortillas until soft and pliable, about 30-45 seconds in microwave. Press each one into the muffin tin carefully. In a bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, veggies, 1/2 cup cheese, parsley, cayenne, salt & pepper.  Mix well. 

Pour egg mixture into the tortillas, sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked through, when they are puffy and tortillas begin to crisp.  Top with salsa and sour cream, if desired. 





Another evening sunset... 



Another night spent trying to capture the elusive Northern Lights... someday we hope to see them again in brilliant fashion.  Others in my area were able to see them, but we had intermittent cloud cover here when they were forecasted. 






On a cold rainy day, I pulled some frozen pumpkin puree from my freezer (put up from my garden) and made a pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread... yum! 


There were several opportunities for Northern Lights recently, but our skies did not get the show that others did.  


This was the closest I was able to see the Northern Lights, with the light green coloring just over the mountaintop.  However, we are entering a more active cycle for sunspots to occur, which produce the magnetic activity on earth creating the Northern Lights, so one of these days... we will get to see them again.  

Yesterday we had a windstorm blow through, which usually means downed trees, and then no power.  We are always hopeful our power will stay on, but we are always prepared should it not.  I had soup already made for dinner, along with homemade sourdough bread.  We have a 5-gallon bucket filled with extra water for the toilet flush, and have two 5-gallon containers ready for handwashing and drinking.  We have plenty of propane.  The only thing that could be a problem with a power outage would be my little seedlings, and 10 little chicks that I just got Saturday.  However, should the power go out, the seedlings can be brought inside, as well as the chicks.  Thankfully, the power blinked but stayed on! 


We are still playing the game of winter/spring = Springter... but thankfully the snow 
we are getting is just melting. 



Our hearts continue to plead and pray for the people of Ukraine who are facing such difficult circumstances.  Our community held a prayer rally for them last weekend, and it was such a beautiful time of fellowship and prayer.  We were able to speak with a local missionary who is working in Poland with the fleeing Ukrainian people.  She shared the need for ziplock baggies for the fleeing moms and children, and so many wonderful ladies in our community are getting together to make these baggies.  The baggies will be sent over to Ukraine with a group of missionaries that are headed over to the Polish border.  As women and children cross the border, they will be given these baggies with goodies/toiletries/crafts/snacks etc. to help them as they figure out a new path forward after leaving Ukraine. Our hearts break for these poor people, and it helps to know that we can do something to bless them. 


Speaking of the prayer rally, it was a tremendous blessing to our community.  There was a video recording made of the event, and I'll post it below. It is quite long, but maybe your heart will be encouraged to know that people are gathering together to pray for this great nation, and for the country of Ukraine.  The Lord is the only One that can minister in ways that we cannot.  Our prayers wing their way to heaven and minister in ways our earthly hands cannot. The gathering of our community together to pray was special in every way. 


VIDEO LINK: Community Prayer Rally 


I have also made a new worship medley video with 4 worshipful songs perfect for a time of prayer, devotion and worship.  Images in the video are mine, taken through the years.  I love being able to share these images with you in this way. 


With love and blessings to all! 



41 comments

  1. Marilyn, the skies in your area are gorgeous. Too bad you weren't able to see the Northern Lights. That is one thing I've always wanted to see. Your pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread looks Yummy, and I'll take pumpkin anytime, any season. So nice of your church to hold a prayer rally for the Ukrainian people. It's so disturbing what's going on right now in the world. The baggies of goodies is a wonderful and thoughtful idea. The egg tortilla cups look delicious. My son just made some breakfast burritos with green chilies and potatoes and so many things. Your tortilla cups reminded me of that.

    Happy Spring days. I hope you don't get any more power outages. And Oh, that Bluebird! What a fantastic picture that is. He almost looks turquoise. I just love that picture, Marilyn, and I love what your camera can do to show the beauty of God's world. The Elk is a wonderful sight too!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely visit, Sheri, I feel as though we've had a lovely conversation! Thankfully the windstorm has passed, and spring is back! It was a beautiful day today. It's wonderful to go outside and see that the world continues on in perfect motion, despite the awful things that are going on around us. It brings peace to my heart, and makes me so thankful that I live where I do! Your son's burrito sure sounds delicious... I love making breakfast tacos/burritos too, and yes, those tortilla cups are just a different version of that. Fun and yummy! Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and wonderful comment! Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. What amazing skies. We dont see such beautiful colours here very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our skies are so amazing Barbara... I am always looking up! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. We are in sprinter too. The colours in the first set of photos are so vivid. Just gorgeous. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wonderful season of color in the skies, I am always grateful Marie!!!

      Delete
  4. I love the sky photos!! Sorry you haven't been able to see any Northern Lights yet. Hopefully one of these dark cloudless nights....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny, I do hope to see the Northern Lights again very soon...Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. I smile as I read your words about the beauty in the skies. We are indeed sisters. Yes, we both serve the same Lord, but I also am always aware of the clouds and the beauty in the sky. I do hope you get to witness a grand display of Northern Lights. They can be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sisters Ruth! In Christ indeed... and as we both gaze at the skies, we are enjoying the beauty of His creation together! I hope to see the Northern Lights again too :) Blessings to you dear friend, I always enjoy your beautiful posts!

      Delete
  6. What beautiful clouds! Hope that you get to see some spectacular Northern Lights. Your bluebird looks like an Indigo Bunting to me. Lots of lovely color in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vee, I agree, I hope to see the Northern Lights again soon. I looked up Indigo Bunting, and indeed, the blue of an Indigo Bluebird is really a bright blue! I don't think we have them here, and I saw the bluebird with its mate, but I agree, they do share a lot of resemblance! We indeed are enjoying the early spring season, with daffodils about to bloom. I love it!

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful pictures of your area! I have only seen the Northern Lights very faintly a long time ago and that was when we were up in northern Michigan. We don't seem this far South in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are very elusive to see... and we get them faintly even here. Northern Canada see them much more regularly than we do. Always an incredible experience to see them though! Thank you for stopping by with your comment :)

      Delete
  8. I cannot get over the splendor of your sunsets in Idaho, Marilyn. They never fail to take my breath away and remind me of God's great glory revealed in His created world.
    Yes, praying daily for the people of Ukraine and all those who are helping them. When we can't be there in person, prayer is the most powerful weapon we can use against the evil being perpetrated there.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its so true, prayer is such a powerful weapon, and we continue to battle against principalities and powers for the people of Ukraine. When I see the beauty in the skies, I praise the Lord for His goodness, we are blessed here to see such beautiful views around us. Blessings to you Martha!

      Delete
  9. Those photos are amazing. Beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, yes, we truly do live in a beautiful part of the world!

      Delete
  10. I'm always in awe of your gorgeous Northern Idaho skies! Wow.. and you take such outstanding photos of them! Wow is all I can say, whenever I read your blog post. I'm glad you didn't lose power that day.... I try to always keep extra water on hand for toilet flushes too if we lose power! and some extra for drinking, etc. We were supposed to have a big wind storm here yesterday, but it never materialized.. we got some winds, but not much more than normal on a fairly windy day! I was glad, but worried about it all the night before! We are in "sprinter" too.. love that word! Going to be 25 tonight and my peach tree and blueberries are budding out, so going to cover them with a sheet. I'm getting tired of still worrying about nighttime freezing temperatures. Now if I had some of that pie or bread, I'd be very happy! You are the best cook! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skies here are so amazing, that I have to take a picture... it's like I can't let a beautiful sunset not be seen and remembered forever! We have had quite a bit of wind here this spring, thankfully not much damage. It is supposed to get colder here next week and snow coming in on Wednesday... yes the season of Springter is alive and well, ha! The pie and bread was a lovely treat! Blessings to you Marilyn!!

      Delete
  11. Your skies are always so pretty!
    We've been going between winter and Spring too. We had snow this weekend, but today I saw a crocus.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love our skies too Mari... and I have many many pictures of the sunsets, lol! We are supposed to get snow this week, but we know it won't stick... indeed the season of Springter is alive and well!

      Delete
  12. Your skies are just glorious! Both daytime and nighttime! And those Elk were amazing. I love that there were geese flying in the sky behind and above them. Oh, your pumpkin pie and bread look so good. I love that it was your very own pumpkin! Wow! What a blessing. I know you are anxious for spring to finally get here, but you area is so beautiful no matter what season. Thank you for sharing it with us. And yes, we continue in prayer for the people of Ukraine, etc. So much sorrow for them. My heart truly goes out to them. Thank you for sharing that information as well. have a blessed and wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful visit Pamela, I always enjoy your comments so much. Indeed, our skies are full of glory here, year round. We have abundant wildlife for sure, and it is such a blessing! I know you are enjoying your bird wildlife too... they are so incredible to watch! Our hearts are collectively broken for the Ukraine, and we continue to pray for divine intervention on their behalf! Blessings and hugs to you!

      Delete
  13. Hi ~ I always enjoy your photos.
    I am praying along with you my friend.
    And the recipe sounds and looks wonderful.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Carla, always appreciate a visit from you! The Egg Tortilla cup is going to be on our church menu for Easter breakfast after our sunrise service, I served it to my bible study ladies and they all loved it :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the beautiful sunset and scenery photos. Just seeing them helps me a bit with the homesickness I'm having for Spokane. The tortilla snack cups look delicious. It was really nice of you to give us the recipe. My heart still hurts for the people of Ukraine. Especially the photos that are coming out now of the innocents being killed. Its horrendous. Wickedness is surely taking over the world. I'm so glad that your area is part of helping the families that need it so much.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures Betsy, although I know your heart would love to see them in person. I hope you both can get back here for a visit soon. Once the mountains get into your heart, they have a place there always! I'm glad to bless your heart with these photos :)

      The Egg Tortilla cup is going to be on our church menu for Easter breakfast after our sunrise service, I served it to my bible study ladies and they all loved it :)

      Indeed, our hearts are collectively broken for the Ukraine, and we continue to pray for divine intervention on their behalf! Blessings and hugs to you!

      Delete
  15. Those breakfast tortillas look really good, and so easy too! Just the way I like my recipes. I love that term Springster! Never heard it before but I'll probably start using it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure someone somewhere had coined it before me, but one day I was walking, and I was thinking about the seasons of spring and winter, and the phrase Springter popped into my mind. So I don't know if I'm the first to think of it that way, but in my mind that's how it happened, lol!

      The Egg Tortilla cup is going to be on our church menu for Easter breakfast after our sunrise service, I served it to my bible study ladies and they all loved it :)

      Indeed, our hearts are collectively broken for the Ukraine, and we continue to pray for divine intervention on their behalf! Blessings and hugs to you!

      Delete
  16. Hello, my friend. I am always in awe of your beautiful world! Your photos fill me with joy, especially in times like these. What a wonderful idea with the bags for the courageous women of Ukraine. I join you in prayer. Hugs from rainy Pa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many ladies in our community are making the bags, and we hope it will be a blessing to those who have suffered and lost so much. We are going to include Gideon bible app cards in each baggie too, so they all can download a bible app for free. We pray the seeds planted will take root in the hearts of these people who are in such sorrow of heart. Many blessings to you dear friend, have a marvelous weekend!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful skies and how special to see so many elk! Those tortilla cups are a great idea. Happy April to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Egg Tortilla cup is going to be on our church menu for Easter breakfast after our sunrise service, I served it to my bible study ladies and they all loved it :) I just love the wildlife visits that we get here, they are so special, always! Blessings and hugs to you!

      Delete
  18. what a nice idea for the tortillas!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    I love the cloud pics!! So pretty. Supposedly one could see the northern lights here in NYS too but i'm guessing in my area...the Capital Region (easetern) there would be too many lights from our suburban area/the 3 cities.....but someday I'd love to go where i could see them...maybe Iceland?? Alaska??

    What a good thing to do for the people of Ukraine....sounds like a wonderful community event.

    ENjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Egg Tortilla cup is going to be on our church menu for Easter breakfast after our sunrise service, I served it to my bible study ladies and they all loved it :) I love all the beautiful skies that we enjoy here, so much to love, and I feel like I have to photograph each one! Yes, I think you should be able to see the Northern Lights there possibly, but light pollution can also be a problem.

      Indeed, our hearts are collectively broken for the Ukraine, and we continue to pray for divine intervention on their behalf! Many ladies have joined together to make the baggies for them, and we hope it is a blessing to their hearts.

      Blessings and hugs to you!

      Delete
  19. Such wonderful skies, your photographs are stunning.

    Thank you for sharing the recipe for the Egg Tortilla Cups ... yummy!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah yes, April showers, in all forms...last weekend we had rain, snow and hail. This week it's 70 degrees, a rollercoaster of weather. How you capture those lovely skies I'll never know. I think it's a gift!! Thank you for sharing it with us! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So good to finally take the time to come and read your latest post, sweet friend. I am so thankful the Lord kept your power on for you and you weren't hurt in the storm. May He always richly bless and keep you in His loving care. You are such a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to me, and I appreciate each and every one, they are precious to me! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog... this is what makes blogging worthwhile! Have a blessed day!

Labels

alpaca Annie apple pie apron baking bible study tea Big Shot birthday blessings blooms bone broth book book review bread camping Canada canning Charity Gayle Chicken and dumplings chicken fajitas chickens Christmas cinnamon tea comfort food cookbook coyote crocus cross Dad visit dandelion tea death Debt free deer devotion digital scrapbooking dill pickles dog dress dried raspberry leaves Easter Edna Moseley eggs elderberry syrup Ellgreave. face masks fall familycookbookproject fire flu flu remedy fog Foxwood Tea House game camera garden garden bluebird garden tea party gardening giveaway Gram greenhouse handmade blouse Handmade Club harvest hike homemade bread homemade tortillas homemade vanilla extract Homer Laughlin hummingbirds hurricane hyacinth inspirational inspirational post iron skillet biscuits January 2013 jelly joy keto kombucha light llama logging love story Lucky the Elephant miracle Mister Simba moose Mother's Day Mountains MTS Photography mudslide music video Northern Lights orange orange vinegar spray Paintbrush Cookies painting peace PEI photography Pico de gallo pie crust plums poem poetry praise prayer Prince Edward Island pumpkin pie puppy kiss rainbow recipe recipes red barn resurrection Riley robin Roger Rose Hips roses scallop die scripture journal season seasons seed starting sewing she-shed skies snake snow song sourdough spain spring springter squirrel Star of Bethlehem storm storms suffering summer sunflower sunflowers sunrise sunset sunshine tea tea exchange tea house Tea party tea time Tea Time Magazine teacup teacup exchange teapot texas Thanksgiving Through Love's Eyes tiramisu tomatoes travel Tribute Tulips turkey turkey soup turkeys Turnbull Wildlife Refuge video walk walk the dogs walking wedding wildlife winter wolf zucchini